Relocation and Packing Checklist
Some of these documents may not be with you, so you'll probably need to make a few phone calls or take a few trips to obtain them. On the day of departure, don't forget your passport as well.
- Birth certificates
- Personal and family documents
- Medical and dental records
- Driver's licenses
- Insurance records
- School records
- Bank records
- Investment records
You will need to visit...
- Your bank to transfer accounts
- Your doctor and dentist to obtain your records
- Your vet to obtain health certificates for pets
- The tax office to arrange for settlement of taxes
Don't forget to...
- Forward your change of address to post office, insurance companies, credit cards, tax office and subscribed magazines.
- Tell your friends and business contacts
- Cancel telephone and utilities accounts
- Cancel cable, newspaper, laundry and security or alarm systems
- Make special shipping arrangements for items like live plants, foodstuff, firearms and hazardous materials like paint, spray cans, oils etc.
- Don't ship valuables like money, stocks and bonds, jewelry and stamp and coin collections. Carry them personally.
- Separate your belongings into: items to be shipped by air / by sea / to be stored / not to be shipped.
- Inform your moving company if you require storage at your destination and whether you will be present at the destination when the shipment arrives.
- Forward these to your moving company: Insurance forms, customs documents, declaration of alcohol and list of new items.