Author Topic: SPAM  (Read 5638 times)
oldmike
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: 01 December 2015, 0:52:14 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

We are getting a lot of spam.
The spammers seem to be pretty stupid.
There are fake watches, which we can get easily with a short trip, and skiing clothes. It is much more fun under a rug in Gold class than dressing for the extreme aircon.

LFB
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2015, 9:24:58 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I agree - Stupid AND annoying!
Especially considering the messages are generally removed within hours.
You have to wonder why they waste their time.
How many clicks can they possibly get?

I suppose it only takes one click from one curious punter for them to steal your identity, infect your computer with malware & viruses,  etc.
They have zero investment - click reply to a thread - edit/copy/paste - post...  5 seconds tops.  Probably even automated bots doing the posting for that matter.

@$$holes!

Shame the folks behind this spam BS don't apply their knowledge and skills to less nefarious endeavors.

LFB

PS - you watch - smart money says this thread will have spam replies within a few hours
 Undecided
Parkbench
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2015, 20:05:11 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've noticed how annoying they are !! For me, "myZamana" (based in India) has been spamming my email address (ends up in Spam folder anyway). I've never heard about it and yet it got my email address from God knows where. Grrrr !!

DON'T EVER click on its content, because it will access your email contacts and spam them.  If you google for myZamana, you will read about how it's disguised as a social networking / dating website but it's pure SPAM.
SEO
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2015, 12:11:28 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

They're not spammers as such. They don't care if you click on their links or not. They're SEO cowboys and the real reason they post these messages is to have a post in this forum containing a link to the sites they're promoting. The more links linking to these sites, the higher these sites are ranked by Google.

There's only one problem with this approach: it doesn't work. Google has long stopped counting mere links. Websites now need to have relevant links from relevant sites in order to gain any sort of ranking boost from external links.

Of course the people that post these messages don't know that yet. So, in the end I guess you're right, they really are stupid.

By the way, if you want to reduce the number of these posts, you can try setting a minimum number of submissions rule, say 10 posts, before a new member can post any kind of link. This won't stop it altogether of course, nothing will, but the number will invariably dwindle, since the whole exercise becomes more trouble than it's worth.

hatespam
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2015, 23:24:58 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

hi moderators, i read through this forum often though I don't like to use my registered nick while replying. Hope you guys do delete the spam as you find them and block the registered nicks from posting again.
spam whale
« Reply #5 on: 25 December 2015, 1:21:21 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Well looking at the crap that still gets posted by these spammers, nothing's happening.
Parkbench
« Reply #6 on: 25 December 2015, 13:11:29 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

All registered nicks (aka spammers) should be blocked and the websites they provide links to, should also be blocked as well.    Sad
s/o Gupta
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2016, 13:14:13 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Sir the spam buster thread got spammed
LFB
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2016, 15:08:03 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Repeatedly
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print