Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 11 December 2017, 10:05:13 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Leaving Singapore and Landed Property - Renouncing PR  (Read 2798 times)
Time to Go
« on: 26 January 2016, 13:46:12 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

My family and I will soon be leaving Singapore and plan on renouncing our PR status. However we have a landed property here and are trying to find out whether or not we will be able to renounce our PR status and keep the property (we want to sell it, but current market conditions prevent this).

Has anyone been in a similar position or have concrete information regarding this please? We have been passed from ICA to MOM to CPF and back again, and nobody has been able to help.

stayjusta bit longer
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2016, 14:44:19 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I wouldn't leave if I were you. This is a good place. Also remember what then PM Goh Chok Tong once said; "are you a stayer or a quitter?". Can your country claim the following which Singapore justifiably can? It constantly wins awards for:

World's leading airport
World's best public housing
Relatively pollution free (e and oe on haze)
Corruption free civil service
Corruption free police force
More reserves than UK, Australia or NZ
Constantly one of the world's top 3 busiest seaports
One of the world's most mathematically proficient children
A multiracial, multilingual people who live in harmony
One of the world's best newspapers
Relatively drug free
You can walk the streets at night in relative safety
Great weather
Efficient service - everything works, streets are cleaned, mail delivered etc.
One of the world's best workers (documented by Perc and Beri)
A Senior Minister which the UK seriously wanted as their leader and whom Margaret Thatcher admires
A country that's able to defend itself
Has one of the world's tallest hotels.
Financially stable banking system.
The world's longest manmade waterfall.
The world's longest pohpiah
Largest Collage Made Of Chinese New Year Cards
Singapore
Most Number Of Photos Posted On Instagram In 2 Hours
At 42 x21x17.65mm, Singapore's Z-Nano is the world’s smallest optical mouse....
and the list of greatness goes on

LONG LIVE SINGAPORE!
Furthermore
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2016, 14:49:29 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Some World Records

As of 1990, Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew held the record for being the longestserving prime minister in the world. His term ran for 31 years (1959-90).
In July 1994, Mr Simon Sang Koon Sung made the most strings of noodle - 8,192 noodle strings in 59.29 seconds.
In March 2001, Mr Ronald Koh and the Origami Group of Singapore made the largest origami, a 45.49mlong origami king cobra.
In July 2004, Mr Michael Chia, Mr Fadzli Hussen and Mr Norman Osman broke the world record for longest movie-watching by sitting through 36 films, which ran for a total of 72 hours.
In September 2004, 3,594 Singaporeans participated in the largest mass health check, which lasted six hours.
In May 2005, Mr T. R. Sundaresan broke the record for a non-stop drum performance by playing the mridungum, an Indian drum, for 42 hours.
In August 2007, 151 mothers here set the world record for the largest synchronised breastfeeding.
In April last year, Tampines West Constituency Sports Club broke the world record for the most people sitting on a chair, with 1,058 participants.
No, you can't.
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2016, 14:55:58 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

My family and I will soon be leaving Singapore and plan on renouncing our PR status. However we have a landed property here and are trying to find out whether or not we will be able to renounce our PR status and keep the property (we want to sell it, but current market conditions prevent this).

Has anyone been in a similar position or have concrete information regarding this please? We have been passed from ICA to MOM to CPF and back again, and nobody has been able to help.

No, you can't keep landed property when giving up your PR. Google "singapore renouncing PR landed property", details in 1st result.
Time to Go
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2016, 15:55:44 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yes, thanks. The online citizen is hardly an official government website is it Roll Eyes We got the answer we needed from the SLA anyway thanks. You can keep it, but need to sell within 2 years of renouncing PR status.

To the other posters; Been here 18 years, it's time to try something new.  Grin
sell now
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2016, 18:52:28 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yes, thanks. The online citizen is hardly an official government website is it Roll Eyes We got the answer we needed from the SLA anyway thanks. You can keep it, but need to sell within 2 years of renouncing PR status.

To the other posters; Been here 18 years, it's time to try something new.  Grin

Good to know that you got the answer. You are given two years time to sell it, that is different than allowed to keep it. My words of advice is to try to sell now while you are around. Landed property requires much higher maintenance than a condo and the prospect of a property price rise within 2 years is low.
sell up n go
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2016, 18:54:10 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Why does the market prevent you from selling ?  Aren't you free to sell your own property anytime you wish ?
Niao Niao
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2016, 8:37:50 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yeah, he's free to sell the place, but it's underwater innit? And OP dunch wanch to lose $$$ innit?

But OP should realize that the place is going to be much deeper underwater in the coming 2 years.

Cry

Time to Go
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2016, 15:38:48 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yeah, he's free to sell the place, but it's underwater innit? And OP dunch wanch to lose $$$ innit?

But OP should realize that the place is going to be much deeper underwater in the coming 2 years.

Cry

Fortunately it's not underwater  Roll Eyes And personally I think there will be a gradual lifting of the housing restrictions over the coming 12 months.
Wishful Thinking
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2016, 7:44:40 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yeah, you would.

Time to Go
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2016, 14:13:32 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yeah, you would.

wow! Insightful.
yebut
« Reply #11 on: 29 January 2016, 17:12:48 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The other thing you can do is make a personal appeal that you will be overseas for a couple of years to look after an aging mother etc. and during the time that you are gone you would like to rent it out. Based upon experience I think they will be sympathetic to this however you could not renounce your PR or withdraw CPF while doing this because your intent would be to ultimately come back again one day
Gupta
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2016, 18:00:18 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Rent it out to Gupta and Sons
Ravi Chancre
« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2016, 20:05:22 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Gupta, you rent, how many SPG you pay me?
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: