Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 20 October 2018, 23:08:30 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: I fancy a change, Singapore sounds good  (Read 7113 times)
time for move
« on: 18 April 2017, 13:06:11 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Been reading this board quite a bit and reading up on the place, sounds like it would be a good place to go and work.

oldmike
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2017, 17:37:43 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Correct.
Just make sure you have a job before you come.
time for move
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2017, 12:44:16 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Working on that bit, CV's being sent out daily. Hong Kong is on the radar also.
poorman111
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2017, 15:40:05 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Correct.
Just make sure you have a job before you come.

Can I not look for a job when I am there? Is this reckless? I do earn a good whack in Dubai, 10K/month USD with no families. But I do want the change though..seems I am going to give up a lot for probably lesser wage but at least a change of life style.

A few years ago in 2011 I used to post here asking where I should emigrate from the UK, to Dubai or Singapore. I chose the former and it got me to where I am today. I still want to move.
Teesian
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2017, 1:34:26 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Salaries would be comparatively lower here in SG than Dubai. On top of that you do have taxes here also. Though you do get a some relief in terms of rental rates here which are lower when compared to Dubai.
I am not aware of the social scene in Dubai for singles as all my friends in Dubai are married with kids and they have enough to do to keep themselves busy.
Social life in SG for singles is rocking. If you are white then you have it really easy, but nowadays with lots of well paid and well groomed Indians, Chinese and Filipinos active in the social scene and night life, its anybody's game.
Outdoor activity wise, there's no need to even compare. There is not much you can do outside in a hot arid desert during the day time.
avold local foosdstalls
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2017, 11:46:50 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Loanshark runner who threw fake faeces at hawker stall jailed, caned

Yahoo News Singapore

7 November 2017

The 16 months’ jail and six strokes of the cane that the 26-year-old Filipino, Sittaraman Sam Kris Carbonel, was sentenced to on 7 November at the State Courts. He had pleaded guilty to two counts of harassment under the Moneylenders Act and one unrelated charge of criminal intimidation.

Prior to being a loanshark runner, Sittaraman had been arrested on 2 April for charging at his brother – 25-year-old Cliford Carbonel Sitaraman – while holding a knife.

Cliford then ran out of the house to ask for help from a neighbour. The brothers’ mother returned home at the same time and spoke to Sittaraman.

Cliford’s girlfriend then called for the police and Sittaraman left the house. He was arrested when he returned later that night.
castles
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2017, 9:42:21 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Indian national jailed 3 weeks, fined S$2,500 for molest and trespassing offences

Yahoo News Singapore  14 December 2017

While on a public bus, 33-year-old Natarajan Prabu sat next to a young woman and used his thigh to rub against her bare leg.

Wanting to get to know her, he then followed her off the bus and into a lift where he rubbed her right arm several times.

Natarajan, who is an Indian national, pleaded guilty to two counts of outraging a woman’s modesty and was sentenced to three weeks’ jail in the State Courts on 14 December. The engineer was also fined S$2,500 on a separate trespassing charge.

Natarajan also pleaded guilty to two charges of house trespass. Court papers revealed that Natarajan had a habit of loitering around corridors of HDB blocks to see if there were women asleep in their bedrooms

This was something he enjoyed doing after going out drinking with friends and if he was not visiting prostitutes in Geylang.
SadieB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 December 2017, 1:32:06 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It is a good place in terms of safety and reliability. Processes are in place and things get done fairly quickly. Food is cheap too.

That being said, the locals can be a bit of an awkward bunch and you may see that they take a long time to warm up. However, I find that this is due to shyness more than anything. I've found that conversations one on one flow alot better and easier than trying to speak to a group or in public.

There is lots to explore and experience on this tiy island. Definitely worth a couple of years I think..
ep men
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2017, 8:55:43 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Man who forced kisses on colleague jailed 8 week

Yahoo News Singapore

21 December 2017

He led his colleague into a storeroom claiming that he wanted to apologise for an unwanted kiss he had previously given her. Instead of doing so, however, Gaabucayan Mitchel Cubong forced another kiss on the woman.

For his actions, the 36-year-old Philippine national was sentenced to eight weeks’ jail at the State Courts on 21 December after pleading guilty to one count of using criminal force to molest the 20-year-old woman. Another charge of a similar nature was taken into consideration for his sentencing.

The incident took place on 16 September this year at a Guardian Pharmacy outlet in the Westgate mall. At the time, Cubong was working there as a retail executive while the woman was a part-time sales assistant and his subordinate. The woman cannot be named to protect her identity.

In mitigation, Cubong – who is married and has two children – told the court that he had been working in Singapore for seven years and was his family’s sole breadwinner.
johore
« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2018, 8:51:25 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Man who molested 2 women after asking to befriend them jailed 12 weeks

Yahoo News Singapore

2 January 2018

He approached two women on separate occasions and asked to befriend them. After the women rejected him, he molested them.

Teo Yan Kang, a 25-year-old Malaysian, was sentenced to 12 weeks’ jail on 2 January after Teo, who was working as a cook, pleaded guilty to two counts of outrage of modesty in the State Courts. Both women cannot be named due to a gag order.

Teo had committed similar offences previously, according to Deputy Public Prosecutor. He was given 15 months’ probation for outrage of modesty in 2012, and jailed four months for forcibly hugging a victim who was below 14 years old in 2014.

Teo, who was unrepresented, declined to say anything in mitigation.
app
« Reply #10 on: 04 January 2018, 9:02:13 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Man jailed for blackmailing female student into sending nude photos of herself

Yahoo News Singapore   3 January 2018

He was a married man who befriended a 17-year-old student via a chat app and they had sex after getting into a relationship.

When the student decided to avoid him, Ramesh Segaran, a Malaysian living in Singapore, blackmailed her into sending him nude photographs of herself, and disseminated them to at least 20 other men on WeChat.

On 3 January, Ramesh, now 31, was jailed 28 weeks after he pleaded guilty in the State Courts to a count of criminal intimidation and a count of distributing obscene material. Two other similar charges were taken into consideration for his sentencing.

The court heard that Ramesh, a father of a one-year-old son, befriended the victim sometime in February 2016 on WeChat. The victim cannot be named due to a gag order.

Later in the month, the victim received up to 20 friend requests in WeChat from male strangers.
alcohol
« Reply #11 on: 05 January 2018, 8:46:25 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Man fined $10,000 for stomping on policeman's foot during music festival

Yahoo News Singapore   4 January 2018

A plainclothes police officer was sitting on a concrete block and observing the crowd for the Ultra Music Festival 2016 in Marina Bay when a man unceremoniously pushed him off the block and took his seat.

The man, Australian Wayne Liang, was drunk from the revelry. A squabble ensued with Liang stamping on the officer’s left foot. The 38-year-old businessman, who owns a factory and a trading company, was later arrested for the act.

He was fined $10,000 on 4 January on one count of using criminal force on a public servant while the latter was on duty. Liang, formerly a Chinese citizen until 2013, had originally intended to contest the charge but pleaded guilty on 7 August, ahead of his  trial.
men pr
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2018, 8:59:36 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Man who started Bukit Batok carpark blast jailed 15 months

Yahoo News Singapore

5 January 2018

A former Grab driver who caused a car to explode in a bid to end his life due to a failed relationship and financial woes was jailed 15 months on 5 January.

Dwight T. Soriano, 32, earlier pleaded guilty on December 21 in the State Courts to two counts of committing a rash act involving combustible material that endangered human life, one of mischief by fire and four unrelated cheating offences. Twelve other similar charges were taken into consideration for his sentencing.

The incident later went viral on social media with images showing a badly damaged Nissan Dualis and passers-by attending to Soriano, who was conveyed to hospital with extensive burn injuries. Eight other cars parked nearby were damaged by the blast.
d struck a lighter, which caused the car to explode.

Separately, Soriano also set fire to a Chinese New Year decoration that was attached to the door of his former girlfriend’s unit at Fernvale Link.

Soriano was also previously convicted of cheating and was sentenced to 17 months’ jail in 2015.
djr
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2018, 11:48:45 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

StanChart robbery suspect detained in UK at Singapore's request

Yahoo News Singapore   15 January 2018

David James Roach, the man who allegedly made off with $30,000 from a Standard Chartered Bank (StanChart) branch in Singapore in July 2016, has been detained in the United Kingdom at Singapore’s request.

In a join statement from the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) and the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), authorities said that Roach was deported from Thailand on 11 January this year after serving his imprisonment term for commission of criminal offences there.

He arrived in London the same day (UK time), where he was arrested by UK authorities.

“We are working with the UK authorities to commence the extradition proceedings,” said the statement.

On 7 July 2016, Roach went to the SCB branch in Holland Village, where he allegedly stole $30,000 after handing over a note to the bank teller. No weapon was used during the robbery.

The Canadian subsequently fled to Bangkok, where he was detained on 10 July. He reportedly denied any involvement in the robbery.
new and old expats
« Reply #14 on: 22 January 2018, 13:41:06 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Shanmugam on 'kidnap scares': Beware of spreading 'untrue stories'

Yahoo News Singapore    22 January 2018

Weighing in on recent media reports of “kidnap scares” in the Dover area, Home Affairs and Law Minister K Shanmugam has warned against “spreading untrue stories and unnecessarily alarming parents”.

In a Facebook post on 22 January, Shanmugam noted, “Police have investigated both incidents thoroughly, interviewed the persons involved. There were no kidnap attempts.”

The news broke last week that two international schools in the Dover area had issued warnings to parents after two female students claimed to have been offered lifts by strangers.

“It is important for young children to be taught to be careful, when approached by strangers… Certainly, we should teach our children not to get into any vehicles with strangers ,” said the law minister in his post.
Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: