Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 21 October 2017, 11:15:41 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sailing in Singapore  (Read 5392 times)
Nic

View Profile
« on: 09 October 2000, 16:04:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi, I'm interested in Sailing a 25 foot + yatch in Singapore. I've been told that "everyone" needs a Singaporean certification to do this. I've got an Australian boating license. Is this good enough?
If not it sounds like a money grabbing initiative on behalf of the Government given that the Singaporean Olympic sailing team came in last and 2nd last respectively in Sydney.

Yes
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2000, 16:11:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Mr Gundry

What does the result of the Singaporean sailing team has to do with the rule that you need to have a Singaporean sailing license? This is quite a common practice in a lot of countries around the world.
This board slowly evolves into a "I know better/I am better"-board. Stop moaning for once!

CSJ
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2000, 18:48:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Haha, very funny both

Still, Nic has a good question...I'm a would-be sailor too.  I have lots of sailing experience and certificates back home, but is it really true that I have to take a $500 course to do it here?  There are surely other expats who wonder this, but I haven't found one who knows...

Nic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2000, 19:42:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Dear Mr Yes - why can't boating/sailing licenses "in Singapore" have a similar international recognition system to Motor and Aviation licenses "in Singapore"?

By the way Mr Yes, I used the example of the Singaporean Olympic Sailing team to illustrate that the level of sailing is not a class above all other nations and  warrants separate tests and courses.

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: