Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 17 July 2018, 17:44:09 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Is SG$260K ok?  (Read 105200 times)
move3

View Profile
« on: 13 September 2007, 15:59:23 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

We have been offered the opportunity to go to Singapore and salary offered is SG$260K, we would have to pay for rent etc out of this. We are in our 30's and no babies yet but plan to once there. Full relocation paid for.

Any suggestions appreciated.

InSG
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2007, 16:26:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Enough for a good living for 2. Expect rental to be $5000 per month and car rental/expense at $5000 per month. It cost about $10,000 to deliver a baby in a reputable private hospital.

Scummy Mummy

Gissa fag and a pint

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2007, 16:44:30 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Car rental at $5000/month? What kind of car do you drive?
Tangent
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2007, 16:56:45 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

We drove a rented, new, top of the line European car for $5k a month (thanks to the company). It's not outrageous for that level of car here.

Think the poster was referring to combined car rental AND expenses though. Anyone with only $5k a month rental allowance is not getting a $5K a month rental car!
rental budget
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2007, 17:14:43 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

With the way the rental market is here, 5K a month is a pretty low budget. If you want a reasonable place not too far out I'd budget about 8 or 9K per month for accommodation rental.
Budget Sample
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2007, 17:21:40 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

In my opinion you could have this pretty extravagant budget.  I think for a couple a 6,000 a month rent is easily achievable. Note the ass kicking you get if American.

Salary               260000
Rent (2 or 3 BR - Dist 9, 10 11)   72000
Utilities including cell Phone      12000
Car New Accord, Carolla, Mazda      28800
Pocket Money each @ 2X300 X 52      31200
Food @ $400 week         20800
Entertainment @ $200 week      10400
Sing Taxes @ @10%         26000

Total            201200
   Balance for savings & Travel   58800

If American US Taxes      37671
   Total if American      238871
   Balance if American      21128.
move3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2007, 17:57:10 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

So are you saying SG$5000 is too much for a car? We can get something for less?
What about buying a car?

Re groceries, I looked on Cold Storage's online shopping...is this considered an "expensive" shop, or is it where most expats do their food shopping and therefore those are the prices you are prepared to pay?
Scummy Mummy

Gissa fag and a pint

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2007, 18:37:58 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

We have a Honda City, cost about $70,000 new, loan over 5 years is about $700 a month. I reckon with car payment, insurance, tax, servicing it's about $1100 per month. I know people who lease Nissan Sunny/Hyundai type cars for about $1000/month. But obviously you can pay a lot more .....
to move3
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2007, 18:49:25 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Cold Storage is expensive, there are cheaper supermarkets around, eg, Fairprice, Carrefour, Giant and also the wet markets.

BUT it is very expensive to eat healthy in Singapore, meat is very expensive here along with everything else that is healthy.  So you will go through the $$$$ when you grocery shop here.

It is much cheaper to eat out at Hawker centres everyday but not very healthy.
laughing
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2007, 18:53:23 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Honda City for 70K? The most expensive one incl. COE is 58K actually, and that is the latest with the increased COE.

For 5 K per month you can easily lease a Camry, BMW 3 series or alike, incl. expenses.

Scummy Mummy

Gissa fag and a pint

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2007, 20:18:49 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It may be now, but I bought it a couple of years ago when COEs were a little higher. Not suggesting I got charged expat prices.

So the OP can pay even less. Good.
debby
« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2007, 21:16:59 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Just to give you an alternative viewpoint: We're on 210k. Two people, no kids yet. We pay 1500 a month for a 1200sq ft apartment. It's a beautiful old black/white apartment in a lovely green area, 10min cab from cbd. We don't have aircon, just big ceiling fans, which is great and saves another 300$ a month. Unfortunately the waiting lists for these kind of places are closed (Premas is the company). But if I had to find a place now I would go for an older walk-up apartment. There are still plenty of those available all over Singapore. Most of them are between 1200 and 1500 sq ft, with big balconies and go for anywhere between 2 and 3k. You can funk them up as much as you like, which is great fun. Of course there are no facilities, but there are plenty pools and there is Sentosa and jogging is free. We don't own a car, I kept track of travel costs for a month and we spent about 400 a month on cabs. Never take the bus or mrt. For that kind of money you can never get a car. But a friend of mine leased one for 700 a month. I shop at Cold Storage and at wet markets for fresh fish and fruit and vegs. Needless to say we save lots. And spend lots of traveling the region. Just to show you, there are many ways that lead to blah blah blah. Enjoy! Grin
another ang moh
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2007, 21:51:32 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Cold Storage is expensive, there are cheaper supermarkets around, eg, Fairprice, Carrefour, Giant and also the wet markets.

BUT it is very expensive to eat healthy in Singapore, meat is very expensive here along with everything else that is healthy.  So you will go through the $$$$ when you grocery shop here.

It is much cheaper to eat out at Hawker centres everyday but not very healthy.

Is this suggesting that meat would be one of the healthiest things to eat...  Grin

But seriously... ColdStorage has quite a limited selection in several product categories. I've always considered it more suitable for locals who want to act western for one day. Needless to say, it's also run by locals.

Westerners get groceries from something like Carrefour or several Western Gourmet shops you find across the island. The former being rather cheap, the latter often not. Couple of times a month you can stock up non-perishables from FairPrice etc.

As for the hawker centres, they are perfectly ok. I know dozens of locals who eat there every day of their life and they're still alive and well. It does get little bit boring after a while if you're  western.

Restaurants here are charging thru the nose, but not necess. because the food would be any healthier. They have to cover the huge rents, renovate every once in a while, but mostly because of greed. There's a big restaurant boom in Singapore right now, and everyone's out there to make a quick buck. And of course, as usual, they think expats would pay just about anything.

You will be Fine
« Reply #13 on: 14 September 2007, 7:12:02 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

On this package, you will have a great time.  There are plenty of expat families with kids living on much less.  Of course it depends where you are coming from and what you like to spend your money on, but I think this package would afford you opportunity to travel in the region as well.
Really?
« Reply #14 on: 14 September 2007, 8:01:55 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

"there are plenty of expat families with kids on much less"

Really? Which countries do they come from? I don't know any Western expat families who would move here on this kind of package. Maybe singles might consider this, but families? They'd be better off staying in their home countries.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: