Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 23 September 2017, 18:58:24 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Is it is easy to learn to drive in Singapore?  (Read 8685 times)
UKLearnerDriver
« on: 21 January 2008, 1:17:33 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hello

I don't have a driver's licence and would like to take my test in Singapore. Could anyone tell me how to go about this please, and whether it's more difficult than in London?

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

welllll
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2008, 10:08:26 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If you look at the standard of driving here how onerous do you think it will be?

For the written test it is NOT just common sense.  You do need to learn and memorise a load of useless rules.  Pass mark is around 90% as well.
Driving
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2008, 16:02:39 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If you look at the standard of driving here how onerous do you think it will be?

For the written test it is NOT just common sense.  You do need to learn and memorise a load of useless rules.  Pass mark is around 90% as well.

Why don't you take the driving test and we shall see how many attempts you need to make before getting the licence. I bet it will be at least 3-4 attempts. Singapore's driving test (not writtent but actual driving test) is the toughest in the world. If you do not believe, go and give it a try.
Eunos Liver
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2008, 16:11:24 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Why don't you take the driving test and we shall see how many attempts you need to make before getting the licence. I bet it will be at least 3-4 attempts. Singapore's driving test (not writtent but actual driving test) is the toughest in the world. If you do not believe, go and give it a try.

If it takes 3 or 4 attempts to pass the test then there is something wrong with the tuition, no?  If you ever drive around the Eunos area and encounter the L drivers travelling at about 12kph, you'll understand why they all fail so many times.

When I learned to drive (25++ years ago) my instructor wouldn't allow me drive on the road at less mph than the rest of the traffic.  My son is having lessons now and he says he is taught the same.  What can you hope to learn driving round an industrial estate at 1/4 the speed of the rest of the traffic?

Driving
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2008, 16:29:33 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If it takes 3 or 4 attempts to pass the test then there is something wrong with the tuition, no?  If you ever drive around the Eunos area and encounter the L drivers travelling at about 12kph, you'll understand why they all fail so many times.

When I learned to drive (25++ years ago) my instructor wouldn't allow me drive on the road at less mph than the rest of the traffic.  My son is having lessons now and he says he is taught the same.  What can you hope to learn driving round an industrial estate at 1/4 the speed of the rest of the traffic?

Instead of commenting blindly here, I suggest you go through the whole test. You need to have a better understanding of the system before you comment here.

Those who are driving at such low speeds must be in the intial stages of learning to drive on the roads. By the time you go for the test you should be averaging around 40-50km/h. You drive at 12km/h for the test and you will fail immediately.

Maybe you should wait for your son to take the test, look at the checklist used for the test and I am sure you will have a better idea of what the test is like.
Even
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2008, 16:31:31 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Even around the Bukit Batok driving school the instructors are teaching a way i feel is very dangerous.

Three lanes turn into another three laned road at a set of traffic lights. Instructor insists the car has to go from the left most lane to the right most lane prior to the lights. Once around the junction the instructor then insists the car go from the right most lane to the left most lane, for a left turn.

Okay, this give the driver experience of switching lanes BUT not about foresight like..... you know your next action after turning the corner is to turn left, so why not stay in the left most lane when turning the corner. And all this is done during both rush hours.

Every morning i am passing the learner through the middle lane, as is everybody else and i've lost count of the times the car has not made the left turn simply because they were not prepared enough to be in the right place...... the instructor just gives up and allows the driver to take a different turn elsewhere.

I have to assume it easier to pass a test here..... provided you are not a follower of Common Sense!
Driving
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2008, 16:45:48 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Even around the Bukit Batok driving school the instructors are teaching a way i feel is very dangerous.

Three lanes turn into another three laned road at a set of traffic lights. Instructor insists the car has to go from the left most lane to the right most lane prior to the lights. Once around the junction the instructor then insists the car go from the right most lane to the left most lane, for a left turn.

Okay, this give the driver experience of switching lanes BUT not about foresight like..... you know your next action after turning the corner is to turn left, so why not stay in the left most lane when turning the corner. And all this is done during both rush hours.

Every morning i am passing the learner through the middle lane, as is everybody else and i've lost count of the times the car has not made the left turn simply because they were not prepared enough to be in the right place...... the instructor just gives up and allows the driver to take a different turn elsewhere.

I have to assume it easier to pass a test here..... provided you are not a follower of Common Sense!

How the hell you know what the instrutor is telling the learner driver in the learner car when you are not in it. I suggest again you go and go through the whole driving test first before commening senselessly. The driving test here is a model for all countries to follow.
There are bad drivers not because they did not learn properly but rather because they adopted their ugly habits once they got that licence.
Even
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2008, 16:56:36 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

How the hell you know what the instrutor is telling the learner driver in the learner car when you are not in it. I suggest again you go and go through the whole driving test first before commening senselessly. The driving test here is a model for all countries to follow.
There are bad drivers not because they did not learn properly but rather because they adopted their ugly habits once they got that licence.

Excuse Me?Huh!!!?

Give me a sensible reason for switching over two lanes of traffic to turn right then switch back over again to turn left at any time, let alone rush hour.

How do i know what the instructors are saying? Because every single learner i see in the morning is doing the exact same thing, sometimes singularly and sometimes in a convoy of five or six. You tell me each and every one is an idiot and even i have a hard time beleiving it..... they are getting the instructions. I can even see the hand signals from the instructor advising the learner where to go!

It's dangerous and idiotic, especially given the 40-50kph speed they are doing...... in a 70 zone.
L plate
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2008, 17:17:57 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hello

I don't have a driver's licence and would like to take my test in Singapore. Could anyone tell me how to go about this please, and whether it's more difficult than in London?

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Probably pretty easy to pass the test here, but don't forget there's a lot of paperwork, etc involved and Singapore isn't a fun place to drive anyway. Also, going through the process of attending classes, having some lessons, doing the test just to 'tick the boxes' is possibly something you'd have to reapeat when you return home if the relevant authorities don't recegnise the test here as being sufficient.
Eunos Liver
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2008, 17:48:25 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Instead of commenting blindly here, I suggest you go through the whole test. You need to have a better understanding of the system before you comment here.

Those who are driving at such low speeds must be in the intial stages of learning to drive on the roads. By the time you go for the test you should be averaging around 40-50km/h. You drive at 12km/h for the test and you will fail immediately.

Maybe you should wait for your son to take the test, look at the checklist used for the test and I am sure you will have a better idea of what the test is like.

You're a bright spark aren't you?  Do you think I have been driving all these years without having passed a test?  I clearly said, my driving instructor would not have allowed me on the road if I couldn't keep up with the traffic and my son is learning the same way ie, if you can only drive at 12kph you should NOT be on a public highway - why is that difficult for YOU to understand - limited IQ?

My point was that the high failure rate if because of the lousy tuition - who knows if my son will pass or fail?  But he won't fail for going too slow, will he?  Duh!
Anyone....
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2008, 18:04:15 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

..get the feeling that 'Driver' is an instructor? Or just somebody who has a rabid belief in the infallibility of the System?

Nah, he's just winding you up! Nobody could be that daft!!
Test easy
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2008, 20:54:08 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The theory test is so so easy.  Almost funny!  Can't believe that people think it is hard!
Miss Understood
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2008, 21:27:14 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The theory test is so so easy.  Almost funny!  Can't believe that people think it is hard!

I don't think anyone thinks the theory test is hard - except Driver - and he obviously has a low IQ
exasperated
« Reply #13 on: 22 January 2008, 2:02:05 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

First, you have to take the theory test, which I think is multiple choice. If you know your UK Highway Code, it's pretty similar. You can pick up a Highway Code book from probably most bookshops, to mug up. Once you pass that, you find a teacher, get behind the wheel and learn to drive.

As for the test, never taken it myself. Going by the standard of driving here, it can't be too tough. Roll Eyes The failure rate is based on quotas. Have a friend who took a test a couple of months ago. Tester kept telling her to do things like change lanes or speed up when it was wrong to do so, and then marked her down for it (apparently, if they mark a certain number of boxes on their sheet, that's a fail). At the end of the test, the tester told her that if she had taken the test at a different centre, she would have passed. According to another friend, one of the test centres is a lot tougher to pass at, so they deliberately look for things to fail a learner.
Lqr
« Reply #14 on: 17 January 2016, 22:47:59 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It is easy to learn driving in Singapore. Join a public driving school and in 4 months after 2 tests and 25 lessons and a driving test, one can have a licence. I got through all tests in first attempt. Be disciplined and that is it.
Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: