Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 23 November 2017, 20:49:08 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mandarin Gardens Condo  (Read 6250 times)
Hunting
« on: 08 November 2004, 1:59:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I may possibly move in but am unfamiliar with this place. Do any of you recommend Mandarin Gardens in Siglap?

Thanks.

depends
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2004, 4:48:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

if you like to entertain ie. have friends over for a swim, then forget it. They only allow 2 guests at a time. bbq's are ok, as many as you want. But i must say the facilities are plentiful..50m pool, they are upgrading gym, tennis, badminton, squash, a restaurant, mini mart, video store, hair dresser. You name it they have it and just a walk to east coast. Loads of buses to everywhere and close to parkway parade.

Is that enough info for you  
have a nice day

Gardener
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2004, 7:45:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I live there.  I've never had a problem with having friends over.  

Pool is good for laps/lengths, a bit boring for kids.  we have a float day once or twice a month now where you can bring your lilos etc (they are usually not allowed).  you can also take food and drink to the pool (not allowed in some places, I know).

There's a bit of a thing going on with the shops there at the moment.  apparently the company who owns the shops sold up and the new management is raising the rents on them.  The video store and bakery have closed down and the hairdresser told me she's going too soon as she can't afford the new rent.  Not sure what will happen about all that.  Grocery store own their shop outright so they will be OK, but don't be lured in by all the promises of these handy stores as half of them are no longer there.

having said that, it's a good place to live - very handy for the buses and lots of area to walk around and chill out in the evenings.

Siglap
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2004, 14:13:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yes, MG is recommended.  Place very well maintained with spacious grounds.  
In terms of expat population, mix of Jap, Korean, Caucasian, and in recent years great number of Indian expats.
Hunting
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2004, 12:41:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Sounds awesome guys!  Thanks for the heads up.

The grocery store looks good. Wonder if the dry cleaners might move out too cos they'd save my life.

Is the underpass linking to the East Coast Park nearby and well-used? I need my walks.

Have been looking at studio apartments there but the furnishings are very dreary.

Still looking.

Really appreciate all your advice. Cheers.

Hunting
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2004, 12:48:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I forgot to add:

1. Are there direct bus services to Shenton Way? How long is the bus ride approximately?

2. Is it easy to flag a cab any time of the day by the main road just outside the estate?

Thanks again.

Gardener
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2004, 15:11:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Dry cleaners are quite new - they took over the old laundry about 3 months ago so hopefully they won't be closing down just yet.

Underpass is well used - I used it today!  It's very useful and there's a turnstile gate right next to it so you can just pop though that and be down at the park within minutes.

not sure about Shenton way - I think the 196 and 908 go down there, but would probably take a while.  you'd have to investigate.  There is some sort of exec bus which goes along in the mornings too - number 541.  I think it actually goes to Shenton way.  Not sure what the deal is with it but those who get on are always office types and they use ezlink cards to pay.  It's run by Bus Plus

Cabs go past all the time along Marine Parade.  Can be quite a few people flagging them down in the mornings, but I'm sure you'll work out the best times to get one.

If the furnishings are dreary - tell the agent you want new ones.  it's a renters market and they should be able to sort you out.

Siglap
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2004, 18:07:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

On your queries:

There's a turnstile entrance/exit in the condo which leads to underpass to East Coast Parkway.  Yes, it's safe and well-lit.  Besides this, there is also a Park Connector run/bike path nearby which runs for several km along canals, etc.

Normal bus services takes an hour to get to town.  Flag down taxi shouldn't be much of a problem.

As for laundry, there are many which do pick-up and drop-off without extra charge.

Generally good place for families.  Good luck.

Hunting
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2004, 22:48:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hey Gardener & Siglap

Sounds like a great place.

Thanks for the useful info! Much appreciated.

siglap
« Reply #9 on: 16 November 2004, 13:16:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

196 and 608 are slow and take about an hour to Shenton Way during peak times.  Less when Nicholl highway opens again.

Bus Plus - 541.  Faster but more expensive, and often full in the morning when it pases Mandarin Gardens.  Takes about 30+ mins.

644.  Faster and cheap. No Ezilink cards though.  Takes about 30+ mins.

Cabbie
« Reply #10 on: 16 November 2004, 13:34:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If you wait until after 10 am then take a taxi, it will deliver you at Suntec for less than S$ 10.
Car Pool?
Gupta
« Reply #11 on: 29 January 2016, 17:56:28 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Gupta and sons occupy almost half the apartments. You will enjoy
Ravi Chancre
« Reply #12 on: 06 February 2016, 19:49:28 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Gupta and sons who care for what? The daughters got ( @ ) ( @ ) more happy.
Gupta
« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2016, 13:27:39 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I hope one good restaurant gets open in MG.  The thai is a boring one.
x
« Reply #14 on: 22 February 2016, 7:47:48 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

xxx
Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: