Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 24 July 2017, 16:35:38 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: How do I call collect overseas?  (Read 12325 times)
stumped
« on: 24 June 2010, 12:10:19 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am a Starhub customer for our home phone and would like to call collect overeas but Starhub cust service says this is not possible. 

What other option do I have?

cmdsea

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2010, 12:21:41 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Overseas collect calling costs multiple $'s per minute. What country are you calling.?

Sign up online with Sunpage and use your credit card as the payment guarantee. Easy process, good line quality and very cheap. China is 2cents/min, US is 6cents etc. Alternatively buy a pre-paid calling card. #10 will get you many minutes of talktime
Kubes.SG

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2010, 13:42:23 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Call Collect?   You have to be joking, this is 2010 not 1992.

Do you still write letters and post them to your mother.  Do you still take photos on film and get them processed.  Do you still listen to records or cassette tapes?

Use Skype.  Make calls for free, or buy some credit for making calls to landlines for a few cents per minute.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the Majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the Insane.
Skype suxx
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2010, 14:14:09 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I tried Skype but I got no joy. The quality is way too hit/miss and I don't like the headset.

I get a good calling card, BIP I think it's called. Allows me to call to Europe for 6 hours on S$10,- Quality is superb. In fact, I have to always lower the volume on my phone.

But maybe OP best send a telex :-P
Stumped
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2010, 16:42:39 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am trying to call the US. My credit card customer service accepts collect calls so why should I pay if I can call them for free.
Ask friend
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2010, 17:53:30 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Try asking a friend who's using Singtel for the home phone. Offer to take him / her for dinner for this favour  Cheesy
Kubes.SG

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2010, 22:29:42 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am trying to call the US. My credit card customer service accepts collect calls so why should I pay if I can call them for free.

I thought collect calls disappeared when toll-free numbers were introduced. Use Skype to call the toll-free number.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the Majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the Insane.
doesn't work
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2010, 8:46:30 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I thought collect calls disappeared when toll-free numbers were introduced. Use Skype to call the toll-free number.

When you call a toll free number in the US on skype from here you get a recording that tells you calling 1-800 numbers outside the US are not free and that you will be charged whatever the international rates are (which on Skype are low enough to not worry about, IMO).

My US credit cards have a number to call collect on them too (but no instructions how to do so either) but I've never bothered. I'm with 'scarbowl' - skype is cheap as chips and I'd rather not trouble my brain over it.
so cheap
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2010, 11:38:48 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It appears op is so skint they shouldn't be allowed credit in the first place, cancel the card and job solved.
janc
« Reply #9 on: 27 June 2010, 21:26:24 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

i believe the rate for IDD 018 to USA is only $0.10/min for Star Digital Voice Home, that is already pretty cheap.
lawren1799

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2010, 21:16:41 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

well .. maybe u want to consider a oversea call post paid card .. budgeted & easy to use also.

As long u have a phone .. that's it.
EsquireFlyer
« Reply #11 on: 18 January 2015, 16:11:37 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Not sure why everyone who replied to this decided to be obnoxious and insulting rather than helpful. So: to call collect from Singapore, dial the numbers below for AT&T USA direct, enter the number you want to call, and when prompted for your calling card number, say "collect" to do the collect call.

SingTel 800-011-1111
  StarHub 800-001-0001
Old Expat Hand
« Reply #12 on: 20 January 2015, 8:55:50 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Why in the world would you warm up a posting from 2010? Are you serious?! Huh
il
« Reply #13 on: 02 March 2015, 23:03:26 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I'm glad someone did as I was looking for this info for my parents traveling to Singapore...
Collect Caller
« Reply #14 on: 04 March 2015, 18:38:25 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Me too!
Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: