Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 25 November 2017, 13:53:02 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Stay Out Maid  (Read 25891 times)
The Employer

View Profile
« on: 16 March 2006, 23:34:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Has anyone experience to have a stay out maid?

I value our privacy as a family for the last 6 weeks since our former livein full time helper transferred to another family. I hired a part-time helper who comes twice a week for 4 hours.  My husband and I realised that having a helper is a necessity. How can we have both:- having a helper and privacy? Hence--we came to a decision to have a stay out helper.  We will provide her accommodation, transport, food, electricty, etc. We know it will cost us more. This is what we have to pay for our privacy. I know there are lots of risks of having stay out helper:- bring boyfriend in her lodging & get pregnant (lost our SGD 5000), she might not go back directly to her lodging after her working hours  instead she might do night clubbing in Orchard Tower and learn to drink alcohol, etc.

Can anyone advise us whether we have make the right decision or give us advises and suggestions of how we will make rules/conditions to this helper? My husband and I will interview the applicants this weekend. I am a little adamant about this ---taking risks.

The worried employer

[This message has been edited by The Employer (edited 16-03-2006).]

illegal
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2006, 6:52:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

well apart from the fact that it is illegal.......
kd

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2006, 7:12:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

OP, isn't this what you are doing right now? By having a part-timer come in twice a week you are getting help but you still have your privacy.  I'm not sure what you mean.
goNative
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2006, 7:23:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ask your part-time helper (if she's good that is and local) if she'd want to work full-time (8-9 hours/ day) but not live-in. Or ask if she knows any willing local friends. Saves you the accommodation costs but more importantly, not saddled with potential problems.

Long long time ago, expats hired local domestic helpers who had their own homes to go back to.

IS

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2006, 8:46:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Why don't you hire a local? The usual rate for a Singaporean cleaner is SGD10-12 per hour. There are a number of reputable agencies that hire out local cleaners. With the foriegn worker levy and wages and accomodation costs etc it would be cheaper to get a local full time than all those expenses. A couple of the agencies do baby sitters if you need and I have even heard of housekeepers that come in, clean, do the shoping for dinner and prepare it before you come home.  
qudelta

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2006, 9:00:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

any names/contacts of the agency that provide child minding services? I am looking for a child minder/tutor for my 2 boys after school, looking for more than the maid can provide.
headspace

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2006, 9:49:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Sorry, but you'd be crazy (no offence) to bring in a foreign maid like that!

The Employer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2006, 9:51:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

To Illegal and IS: The part time helper is a Singaporean resident; hence she is legal. The part-timer does only four hours work per day twice a week. Our current part time paid by $10 per hour.
To KD: I need more help during the early morning to prepare them to school and late afternoon when they arrived from school . During the day my kids are at school. I am a busy mother but I still want to be involved and to have quality time with my kids.  I do not want to do the nitty gritty household chores such as cleaning, ironing, washing, cooking, tidying up the bedrooms, etc.  Hence I require a helper from 630 am to 630 pm (approximate) and 2-4 days off per month. Privacy requires more when my husband arrived from work. Weekends are for family time.
Is it illegal to hire a foreign full time helper but live outside employer’s residence? Your advices require sooner as we will interviewing the applicants this Sunday from a maid agency. What are your suggestions rules if it will be allowed to have stay out helper? For example, do not bring boyfriend in your lodging, go straight to your lodging after your working hours, etc.

Me too
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2006, 10:51:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've been looking for something similiar, but have pretty much resigned myself to having to have a live in...
house
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2006, 10:56:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Maybe you should look at some different accommodation. (next time your lease is up) I have a couple of friends here who live in a house which has the maids quarters in a separate room detatched from the house.  They have particular rules about when the maid is allowed into the house.  She has her own bathroom and cooking facilities.  Ok they are still on your property but not in your pocket.
Maid to measure
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2006, 11:19:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It is not illegal to have a full time foreign domestic working living off premises, but you must have her address registered properly. I was in a similar situation to you and have had this arangement for the past five years.

Really, whether or not you have any problems depends entirely on the maid. Personally, my maid has not given me one bit of trouble in five years. I would suggest, however, that you get a more mature person -- one with a stable family (husband and kids) back home.

Frankly, I don't really care what my maid gets up to in her own time. If she wants to go out for a drink with some friends, I am rather pleased for her. At least she is having a life outside the drudgery of looking after me ...

but...
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2006, 15:10:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

But if you need someone from 6.30am through to 6.30pm, this would mean you are after privacy only from 6.30pm to the time she goes to bed, so why don't you just send your live-in out for a couple of hours - give her $10 and she could go and enjoy dinner at a hawker centre or meet a friend.

I don't think someone who lives out would be able to start at 630am - they'd be travelling and having to get up very early.

if i were you
« Reply #12 on: 17 March 2006, 15:18:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

i would check first if it is legal to do that.
also, maybe there is some lodging that is provided by the agent to the maids?
iiop
« Reply #13 on: 17 March 2006, 15:29:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

i cringed when i read this line:  

"My husband and I realised that having a helper is a necessity."

Suddenly its a necessity when they're in singapore? hahahahahahaha. at least say it straight up.

temp22
« Reply #14 on: 17 March 2006, 18:56:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

why can't you just tell you maid that after 6.30 she doesn't come into the house - preumably she has her own room,  bathroom and the outside cooking area - you don't need to see her until the morning.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: