Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 27 May 2017, 16:11:54 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: cost of membership at various gyms in Singapore  (Read 63920 times)
ayumik

View Profile
« on: 15 July 2011, 0:07:06 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi,
Can someone provide me with the fee at various gyms in Singapore - California fitness, planet fitness, fitness first, etc? Is there substantial difference between their packages? I am looking for a place to workout in.
Thanks,
Ayumi

Kafka

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15 July 2011, 7:15:52 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi,
Can someone provide me with the fee at various gyms in Singapore - California fitness, planet fitness, fitness first, etc? Is there substantial difference between their packages? I am looking for a place to workout in.
Thanks,
Ayumi
After the employment, now the gym! Can you do something on your own? Good way to work out would be to go in person check out the gyms and leave your computer! BTW the fee is not everything for a gym, the facilities and equipments are at least as important.
nomadic_cat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2011, 23:19:07 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi

I have just joined a gym myself so I know the pain of picking one without any advice.

I checked out True Fitness and Fitness First.

The guy at True Fitness told me that the prices is cheapest at California Fitness, then True Fitness then Fitness First.

True Fitness offered me: no sign-up fee, no admin fee and if I pay one-off then is 2000SGD for a 24 months contract.  Usage of all the gyms in the chain except for True Yoga studios. 

Fitness First offered me: a smaller sign-up fee (16SGD), full admin fee (100SGD) and 142 SGD per month for a 12 months contract. Usage of all the gyms (they differenciate between the gyms in different locaitons) in the chain as well.  I think you can also pay a lump sum but the discount per month is small.

I found the facilities and the condition of the gym equipments are better at Fitness First.  You might find otherwise.

I guess you got to decide where (geographically)  you want to work out then check out the gyms in that area for pricing options, because there seem to be quite a few smaller, more exclusive gyms that do not belong to a chain as well.

Good luck.

Ayumi
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2011, 13:16:17 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi

I have just joined a gym myself so I know the pain of picking one without any advice.

Very useful response. Keep it up.
To Ayumik
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2011, 8:40:50 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You may find the ladies gyms more suitable for your needs. Not all are located in the city. You sound like you are a bit obese. It would good for you to get your weight down.
well
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2011, 19:50:11 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I pay S$50 per 6 months membership of the gym I use.
well
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2011, 19:53:28 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I pay S$50 per 6 months membership of the gym I use.

Off peak.
Not the way
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2011, 11:26:07 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The Gyms here all work the same way, offer you a lump sum price because the majority of people don't keep it up and also a plan to go to every gym in the world that they have.

If you only want to go to the one local to you and just want to pay monthly at the best rate do this;

Go and enquire
Show interest, ask for all the paperwork, but leave saying things like I'm not sure, I only want access to this gym and it's a lot of money up front.
Give them you contact dtails and wait

A number of follow up calls will happen, always reducing the scope of offer and pricing.
After a week or 2 you will get a phone call saying that the manager or director has a limited offer to just join that gym only, full access every day (no non peak bull etc), no sign up or paperwork fees, just a simple monthly fee and no cancellation charges.

That's when you join.

They all operate the same MO and have had numerous complaints over their operations over the years.

After all, they are just gyms, why should you need to pay a lump sum and admin fee for a one page sign up and a pass? It's more onerous that renting a condo and that is a real minefield !

Another option is to go to the NUTC ones.
Lazy bones
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2011, 17:49:47 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Make sure your condo hasn't got a decent gym before you get some expensive membership plan that you, Ayumi, in all likelihood won't even come close to completing.
almando
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2014, 16:31:03 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

THis may be a late reply, however it can be an advise for future inquiry, DO NOT JOIN california.

They mis-sold me the memebership, over promised few things and never delivred. I cancelled my membership 6 month ago and now they telling me to pay the 6 month i did not even use the gym.

+ they have an auto renewal close in their contract so they can renew straight without asking you.

Becareful. California is rip off.

Hi,
Thanks,
Ayumi
officeinraffles
« Reply #10 on: 26 June 2014, 16:53:31 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Join Virgin Active in Raffles Place! you can pay month-to-month so you don't get stuck in a contract! They have amazing classes and facilities.
AutumnLeaves

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 October 2015, 10:20:35 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've tried Fitness First and Amore. Both are professional and good. Pro-members' kinda approach. Not sure if they are the cheapest but you have to judge and choose the package that most suit you.

I tried Celebrity Fitness too. Please avoid this gym. It is cheap but has a heck-care attitude towards members. Twice i went for a scheduled class which was cancelled 5 mins after it's supposed to start. Their schedule is seldom updated on time too. I cancelled my membership after on year but they continue to charge and ignore my cancellation.
jeremydreis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2016, 13:35:47 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am with Yo! Fit Pass right now, its not really a gym membership but rather a healthy food + fitness classes membership. Since I'm new to Singapore, my Yo! Fit Pass membership allows me to workout at different fitness studios island-wide. I used to be with California Fitness... worse decision. Crowded gym and incessant sales pitch.

I also like that the membership comes with healthy food, which helps as I'm not much of a chef and some days I just want to eat out. Most of the healthy food places they have on the platform are located within the CBD, which is convenient for me.

I've signed up for the Athlete plan which is $180 monthly. Note that the membership renews monthly, so you do have the option to pause and resume your membership as and when you need to. Great for me as I travel for work every once in a while.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: