Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 21 October 2017, 11:21:08 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Singapore vs.Toronto  (Read 11589 times)
very confused
« on: 30 October 2006, 21:27:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Folks,

I have good offers from a company in SG and another one in Toronto. Both companies are great. I am in a dilemma and don't  know whether I shld go to SG or Toronto. Could you give me some recommendations? Maybe some pros and cons?

dixiepie
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2006, 21:31:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Toronto anytime!
smiley188

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2006, 21:45:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

dont know enough abt your situation to comment on what is best for you.....

but some major differences between the 2 countries:

TORONTO:
* COLD in winter
* high income taxes and high consumption tax (GST+PST is 15% on almost everything you buy)
* prepay taxes and no installment plan except for self employed - withheld at source
* metropolitan - all races and cultures
* affordable access to cultural activities, arts, etc
* cheaper cars
* politically correct people
* tipping of15-20% adds to cost of eating out
* not as safe as Singapore
* dirtier than Singapore
* access to snow, winter sports and 4 seasons

SINGAPORE
* warm weather - sometimes too humid, and the occasional haze
* much lower taxes, can pay in installments
* lower consumption tax at 5%
* no tipping but 10% service charge usually added
* safe
* convenient and cheap to travel in the Asia region
* lots of water sports, sea and sand, spas

Good luck with your choice.

I have stayed in both countries and i much prefer Singapore but then I also have other personal reasons for being here

Up to You
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2006, 6:40:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Where do you live now and what do you like to do with your time?  What happens next in your career?

Toronto is great.  I have not lived there but visited many times.  You will find a wide variety of activities with lot's of leisure stuff very accessible. I like Canadians a lot and for some the 4 seasons is a real bonus.  I am a sun seeker so Asia is it for me but Toronto is a great choice.

Singapore is also great if you love the sun and sea.  You have to make an effort to keep busy.  It is very easy to let time slip by and not engage in anything meaningful on weekends.  However, if you do get engaged and get off the beaten track a little you will find lot's to do here that is not eating, going to a mall, going to a movie or clubbing.

Up to You 2
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2006, 7:12:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You are giving us very little info to go on. What would you reply if I asked you, "Should I go to New York or stay on in Singers"?
island girl
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2006, 8:14:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Toronto is great if you can handle to very cold winters and down right hot and humid summers.

They have a TTC which would cut down on parking, gas and owning a car.

If you want to own, try heading up north. Then you'll be commuting.

It's all what you prefer mate. If you like seasons then head off. Do you need change? Hate it here?

Ask yourself alot of questions.

Eating out can be as cheap as you want or expenseive.

One thing for sure....you can find FAB greek food along the Danforth. Oh do I miss that!!!!

Good luck!

canook....
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2006, 8:25:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If you want lifestyle go to Canada, if you want $$ come to Singapore.

yep yep
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2006, 12:46:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

and that's why there are canadians here!
not enough $$ back home.
do miss the lifestyle. from the west coast so no harsh winters to contend with.
forgive me
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2006, 15:33:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

where are you living right now??
-
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2006, 16:15:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

"Singapore is also great if you love the sun and sea."

You are kidding right? No waves to speak of, limited coastline. For those limited paces which DO have sand (Sentosa, Changi, East Coast Park) the beaches are dirty, the water is dirty, and it is crowded.

Pulau Ubin is nice but you need to catch a boat to get there. It can also get crowded on weekends.

very confused
« Reply #10 on: 31 October 2006, 17:08:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for your responses. Actually, I have been to both SG and Toronto, on a few occasions, but do not know which place would be better to live in. That is why I was asking for some opinions. To tell you something more about myself (and you will realize why I am confused)- I LOVE eating out, the four seasons (do not mind winter at all, I was in Chicago for several years), beaches, having ample time on my hands during the weeends, owning a home, a multi cultural community etc. Hate hot and humid weather.
Toronto has everything except the beaches; SG offers everything except four seasons. Howver, the advantage of SG is you pay lower taxes compared to SG and that matters a lot to me because I like to eat out, go for movies sometimes, and the taxes add up.
I would like to hear from Canadians (esp folks from Toronto), someone mentioned that there are a few of them in SG. What do you guys like about SG? Do you prefer it over Canada?

Up to you, you said that there are several activities I could engage in during the weekends- what would these be?

canbrat
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2006, 8:11:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I think you did just hear from Canucks.

Toronto does have beaches but you need to own a car and go for a little drive. There's also the area in the city called The Beaches. Nice board walk, sand etc.

If you HATE the hot and humid weather then chances are pal that you'll hate this. There have been more hot and humid days than I can count. The weather doesn't change much along the blue line. It's hot or hot and rainy.

I'm guessing that most of us are here A: because of taxes, B: job security and C: it's a nice lifestyle for the most part.

**that's why we're here**

We do go out see movies, eat at hawkers, some nice places too, take away at least once a month, starbucks a couple of times a week plus grocery shopping at I'm sure a few more fun things and we still have money at the end of the month...alot of money!

swordfish
« Reply #12 on: 01 November 2006, 12:09:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The taxes even themselves out if you own a house and a car. The savings from this alone is the amount of taxes you would have paid extra to have the same here (added capital costs, interest = taxes) depending on your income.

There are opportunities to shelter alot of income via setting up a company and also through SPV's, again it depends on your income.

If the sole reason for choosing is disposible income and you are an average earner, then Singapore is your place.

Having said that, its freekin humid here and no seasons and hardly anything to do aside from going to the airport to leave for the weekend, so its worth paying for having this elsewhere.

I am in the process of leaving soon, but am sure I'll miss some things but think I'm getting alot more in return with a move  back to North America.

« Reply #13 on: 01 November 2006, 14:14:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If you hate hot and humid weather, forget Singapore.

I used to love hot weather until I moved here 4mths ago.  Now I would love to have a 'cold' season for a couple of months.  The weather makes me not want to go out until after 4pm when the sun is not as strong.  Also, there isnt really THAT much to do here so if you have a trailing spouse who does not work, he/she might get bored very quickly(like I have!!).

To "Up to You"
« Reply #14 on: 01 November 2006, 20:51:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Quote:

"However, if you do get engaged and get off the beaten track a little you will find lot's to do here that is not eating, going to a mall, going to a movie or clubbing".

WHERE?  WHERE?  TELL ME WHERE?!!? (Please!!!!)    

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: