Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 29 May 2017, 17:30:04 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Singapore vs.Toronto  (Read 10896 times)
Quebecmom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 November 2006, 22:19:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Toronto is a great city to live in! I lived there for 11 years and it has a lot to offer. Although i enjoy living in Singapore i am looking forward to go back next year. Canada has higher taxes but food and wine is very reasonable.There is so much to do in and around the city. Fantastic nightlife! I miss the 4 seasons even winter. When you keep busy with outdoor activities like skiing and skating and  then a nice fire and glass of wine it is not so bad. The Caraibeens are not too far if you want some beaches and sun.
The weather here has been the most difficult part for me. The best part has been to travel to all those great Asian destinations. So i guess it is up to you!
Good luck!

Canadian
« Reply #16 on: 05 November 2006, 8:11:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If you are young(ish) and willing to work your butt off for a few years, I'd come to Singapore for many of the same reasons already stated. Long-term when you already have some savings and have got your fill of travel for awhile, I'd much prefer living in Canada.
localkat
« Reply #17 on: 08 November 2006, 17:28:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Toronto tax is very high, if i am not wrong.  

I find the weather too cold, the lifestyle is indoor living, and the heating bill can be high.

Most locals would choose to experience working in Toronto-but not me as it's all because of the very cold weather.  During night time it can go down to minus 20 degrees celcius.

localkat
« Reply #18 on: 08 November 2006, 17:41:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Toronto beaches are actually lakes.  
clairgreen
« Reply #19 on: 08 November 2006, 18:31:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Did someone say otherwise??
localkat
« Reply #20 on: 08 November 2006, 20:01:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It is easy to make a decision if you know what your values are.  Go for it!!!

Canada is a beautiful country. The landscape changes from east to west coasts greatly from flat to mountain.  If you got the time, take the train across to see the mountain in Alberta, old & new Quebec and the receding tide of the Fundy River in New Brunswick.   They are awesome.

Closer to Toronto is the Niagara Fall- a 2 and a half hour drive.

love SG
« Reply #21 on: 10 December 2006, 3:58:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

to the OP
dude, if u r a youngish white male / or actually just any single male - i strongly recco that u live in singers for a few years -
i quote an older white male pal [50 now] -"jeez if i was here in my 20's i wud **** till my dick fell off"
the women in this city destroy the myth that women avoid casual sex

but then i never lived in TO !

ok enough sexist crap

to swordfish -
sry to hear that we'll be losing a fine poster [boy?] gud luck mate
- since i think we have similar values - how r u going tto reconcile urself to the idiotic crime situation in north america - do u have wife / kids - then thats even scarier? - wud like to know ur take
cheers

nnn
« Reply #22 on: 10 December 2006, 14:06:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

quote an older white male pal [50 now] -"jeez if i was here in my 20's i wud **** till my dick fell off"
the women in this city destroy the myth that women avoid casual sex""

And it probably would due to disease!!

PS - there are no beaches in Singapore or anything remotely like what the rest of the world would call a decent beach.

Eating at hawker stands = cheap, eating at decent restaurant = ridiculously expensive.... wine/alcohol - well don't even go there!

If you don't like hot/humid weather then I wouldn't even consider it.

Dr. Phil
« Reply #23 on: 10 December 2006, 20:14:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Canada is a beautiful country but the folks are a bit strange. I understand from my pal Col Bagshot that cactus is Canadian so I will say no more.

Toronto is COLD.
Forget seasons, think DEEP FREEZE; people expire in their homes.

If you have not visited Singapore you are missing a lot.

If you have not visited SE Asia your life is incomplete.

All of these countries are within holiday distance even long weekend distance break distance.

China is incredible and the people are wonderful. You will not find a more gentle people on earth and the country is huge and wonders literally never cease.

Vietnam is also a beautiful country with an interesting history and I'd like to see much more of it however all of these countries are very affordable for regular visits. Unfortuntely buying a home is difficult - but not in Singapore.

Singapore is the jewel in the crown of Asia and is a safe and peaceful island just above the equator so we get good weather all year with warm rainfall and lush green vegetation and your wife can walk the dog at 2.00am in perfect safety.

It also has the best world class hospitals, doctors, schools, etc etc

Unless you have an amusement arcade mentality in which case you will petulatly demand others entertain you, dont miss the chance to live in Singapore.

And of course Darwin and the most beautiful continent on earth is only a few hours away in the other direction.  

laksa
« Reply #24 on: 15 December 2006, 13:25:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

We lived in europe for a few years, then in Singapore for three years and are currently in Toronto since about a year.

We agree with most posters about money, travelling, weather, etc.

In terms of everyday life, except for booze, groceries, cigarettes, clothes, restaurants, movies, cabs, parking, gas (petrol), etc is significantly more expensive than Singapore.

Healthcare in Toronto is awful. Although touted as "free" but in reality, it is not. You will have to shell out nearly C$2000 to pay for OHIP ("free medical service"), and to buy a prescription drug/dental/vision cover. And then ofciurse, you have no control over which doctor you will see and when.

Banks are very conservative and demand money for giving you the privilege of having an account with them.

Public transport is nowhere as efficient as Singapore. CableTV, Internet, and fixed line phones are atleast 5 years behind - though some choices on cable (adult) are better than Singapore.

Only 1 real GSM phone company (Rogers, which owns Fido as well). People do not even know what 3G is. No SAM machines, no EMAS, no pro-active governance. No subway link to airport.

Cheap flights are much more expensive in comparision to AirAsia, Tiger, etc.

Great weather (winter is not that bad), access to beautiful nature-areas (for a fee), courteous and polite people, pro-active media, frrdom of speech.

Go figure!!

swordfish
« Reply #25 on: 20 December 2006, 9:54:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

love SG: well, never had a compliment from anyone on this board, always someone winging because I tell the truth about this place !

Crime in Canada for the most part is not a concern and think the wife/kids are going to be fine. We are thinking of relocating to California, and that's when the possibility of crime comes up, along with several other key issues such as schooling, cost of living and endless hours driving on freeways. Guess there is a cost to living in the best weather god himself would want to live in.

I am in Canada at the moment quite enjoying people again. I had forgotten the courteous and friendly nature of my fellow canucks and really liking the idea of not parking in a 4 story carpark to go and buy groceries. Yes, its a bit cold, but that isn't so bad either with a reasonable jacket and insulation in your house ! I have skied, been ice skating, gone to the beach (yes, at the beach in December and it was great for a walk), and had some excellent meals served by people who actually liked their job whom I gladly paid the 15-20% as the prices were already fantastic especially those $4 beers and delicious looking waitresses !

Ahh, life in a normal place is quite tantilizing....unfortunately I return to the gloom of Singapore shortly......only 2 more years I keep telling myself.

love SG
« Reply #26 on: 20 December 2006, 16:38:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

swordfish
so agree re SoCal weather - now just hope that Arnie can fix the place up good ! - i've been aching for the SF Bay too - just spoilt by 8 years in a place with a clean & super-efficient govt. - & with my rabid views on political systems & governance - not sure if I can deal with living there & not kill anybody.

Anyone, also agree with the 'normal place' bit - btw i just saw "The Shipping News" - has to be one of the most brilliant efforts at cinematic adaptation - the material is so difficult !
you're not a newfie are u?

and here's a lil canuck joke i made up ...

Q: What do u call a former Canadian PM , when he's drunk ?

.......suspense....

A: Paul Martini

cheers

things to do
« Reply #27 on: 21 December 2006, 11:43:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

this is the 2nd or 3rd post i've read in as many days where people say there is nothing to do in Singapore...that's rubbish

Sports : dragonboating/golf/various watersports/sailing - yachts always looking for crew/gaelic football/rugby/football etc.

Arts : esplanade - ok yes sometimes not the best quality but you do get some good stuff coming through, many museums/a lot of foreign films to be seen in the various language schools/local arts scene - again hit and miss but same everywhere/theatre - can be good....

And there's loads to do that is free - just check out the IS magazine etc

And that list is before the usual tourist attractsions etc..

Ok yes you can't go for a 3 hour drive without ending up in Malaysia but there is as much here to do as any other city, maybe not always as big a selection but there's plenty to do.

Sitting Toronto
« Reply #28 on: 28 December 2006, 1:11:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Having lived in SG for 3 years and currently sitting in Toronto watching the snow fly I fully agree with Dr. Phil. Take SG for whats around it, not SG itself. The Toronto region is nice, but the experience of SEA can't be beat - especially the wonderful people you meet.
cactus

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 December 2006, 11:13:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Coming from Toronto and having lived in Singapore for many years, I prefer Toronto's racial tolerance, great ethnic food and bookshops over Singapore's narrow-mindedness, terrible phoney restaurants and lack of good books or alternative movies.

But having said that, I prefer San Francisco over Toronto.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: