Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 23 June 2017, 14:51:25 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Maid salary  (Read 26819 times)
Forreal?
« on: 15 October 2012, 22:02:19 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I'd appreciate to shed some light on this. When we were to renew our maid's contract she asked for a 10% salary increase. Is this the norm? every 2 years 10% up? my neighbor even asked for 20% - and got it Smiley
Or what have you done? better give a higher bonus? tx

mum 2-2
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2012, 22:26:01 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

we recently increased our helpers salary by $100 and she hasn't finished her contract yet. She's good and we want to keep her and remember the nightmares we had before finding her. If your helper has been with you for 2 years and you want to renew you are obviously happy with her so why not increase her salary and keep her happy. Or you could have an unhappy maid, possibly lose her completely and have the hassle of finding a replacement. Which is going to be easier and cheaper?

10% is not that much, even if you are paying a higher than average salary of  $700
It's Normal
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2012, 22:47:12 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Obviously the maid wants to renegotiate her salary under the new contract just like any other employee. My maid wanted more days off plus later return time.

old employer
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2012, 23:57:24 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Key word here is "contract". Read that and if it's a standard agency contract you wll most likely find a provision there for a 10% increase after 2 years.
Maids laugh at you lot
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2012, 8:21:52 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

don't you realise that comparatively speaking they are so much better off after they remit dosh home than you are when you remit dosh home.

A contract is a contract, both sides should stick to it.

If they leave you then they have the problem of having to pay another agency to find them a job.

If you really need to do something to salve your 'conscience, then allow then a certain amount each day which you only give them as an end of contract bonus.  Don't mention this to them.

You lot enjoy increasing their wages as it then gives you a high as you mistakenly believe you are so philanthropic.
To PP
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2012, 10:03:54 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

There is absolutely nothing wrong with helping another person out in order to improve your own mental wellbeing.  Those of us lucky enough to have been born in the developed world often suffer from depression.  Thankfully its not something I have ever suffered from but I do know that I am constantly looking for meaning in my life and doing good for those less fortunate than myself is part of that process.  As long as you are careful not cause harm, then if giving your maid a pay rise makes you feel happier inside, I see nothing wrong with that.  If you think your maid will blow the money on 'get rich quick schemes' then by all means set up a savings account for her and put the money in there.
Be professional
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2012, 11:08:28 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Maids laugh at you lot... typifies why the maid-employer relationship so often fails.  With references to "they" and "them" he/she is turning it into a power struggle fueled by generalisations and emotion.

It isn't!  It is an employer/employee relationship like any other.  Does your boss reward you for productivity?  Are you offered incentives to extend your contract?  Does the employer realise the value of retaining good employees rather than recruiting and training new ones?  Of course and in our professional lives we expect nothing less.

Managing a Maid is no different.
NMS1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2012, 11:29:44 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I think it is expected that the salary is increased after 2 years but most contracts do only cover the 2 years so I don't think there is any provision for an increase on renewal of the contract.

It's entirely up to you and it also depends on where she is in terms of market rate. If you are already paying her anything over $500 then (depending on her experience) she may not be able to match that salary if she looks for a new employer so she could just be pushing her luck. If she's on a lower salary then she might be thinking of trying to find a new employer if she doesn't get an increase from you.

We just gave our maid an increase of $50 when we renewed her contract as she was on a low starting salary but she wasn't actually expecting it.
Forreal?
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2012, 11:33:31 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thank you all for the input. Yes, she is already on the higher range of salaries and yes, she is a good employee and we appreciate her. Nevertheless I though 10% is a lot. We might just increase step by step and see about other benefits.
Cheapass
« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2012, 23:44:18 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

10% for someone earning peanuts is alot ?

Good grief.
I don't get it
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2012, 10:53:12 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You think it's peanuts. 
Don't you realise that with the 'peanuts' they make here back in their own countries they buy land, build houses, send their relations to school and college and set themselves up for life.  If unmarried they have loads of suitors looking to marry them because they are rich.
All in a 4 to 6 year period of working overseas.

Can you say you are able to do that with what you earn over a similar period.

We treat our maid well, she eats with us the same food as us which is her choice, my missus has taught the maid so much, but we stick by what the contract states.

As said by a poster above many ex pats think they are being generous by upping a maid's wages.  If that makes them feel good then that's OK, buy don't come on here trying to make out what good people you are and boasting about how you pay your maid do much.  We don't know who you are in many cases we don't believe you and you arein many cases giving the maid totally the wrong idea about how to earn and save money.

IMO.
DrStat
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2012, 13:14:33 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It's funny that the argument for high salaries to prevent crime only applies to ministers and not maids.  Roll Eyes
To: I don't get it
« Reply #12 on: 17 October 2012, 15:08:43 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I wrote the mum 2-2 post and wonder if it is me that you are having a dig at?Huh

I don't feel that I am being overly generous by upping my maids wages I feel I am paying her a fair wage for a rather crappy job. Like I already said, she is good.
Not sure where you work but this sort of thing happens the world over. You do a good job you get rewarded - its that simple.

I do not do it to make myself feel good and I was certainly not boasting.
cheapass
« Reply #13 on: 17 October 2012, 17:19:49 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You think it's peanuts...... It is.

Don't you realise that with the 'peanuts' they make here back in their own countries they buy land, build houses, send their relations to school and college and set themselves up for life.... So what ? Good luck to them.

Can you say you are able to do that with what you earn over a similar period......If I was aware from home on my own in a foreign country getting one holdiday a year and working a minimum of 6 days a week, then almost yes.

my missus has taught the maid so much,......Good on her. I'm sure it was appreciated, though more likely toleratd.

buy don't come on here trying to make out what good people you are and boasting about how you pay your maid do much... read what I wrote.

you arein many cases giving the maid totally the wrong idea about how to earn and save money....... Not your issue. You are the employer, not a do geeder life coach.

cncmaid
« Reply #14 on: 20 October 2012, 12:55:39 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Market salary is very high especially those with 2 years experience. I think 10% increase shall be around $50. That's reasonable.

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: