Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 29 May 2017, 17:28:20 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: 1 [2]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Maid salary  (Read 26644 times)
Poor Expat
« Reply #15 on: 23 October 2012, 21:32:32 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

A 10 percent increase is reasonable considering that inflation here is about 5 percent. The domestic help still has to spend money here after all.

A good help is difficult to find. So, pay her the 10 percent.

Good Grief
« Reply #16 on: 24 October 2012, 17:07:51 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Market salary is very high especially those with 2 years experience. I think 10% increase shall be around $50. That's reasonable.

$50 a month increase is reasonable ? You shouldn't even be allowed to keep a dig.
I pay...
« Reply #17 on: 24 October 2012, 19:28:55 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

...S$12/hour cash (part time helper).
Tomorrow
« Reply #18 on: 25 October 2012, 18:01:12 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Market salary is very high especially those with 2 years experience. I think 10% increase shall be around $50. That's reasonable.

$50 a month increase is reasonable ? You shouldn't even be allowed to keep a dig.
All maids will be gathering having a right old laugh at you stupid generosity.
And your ineptitude with the keyboard. Grin
mirror-mirror
« Reply #19 on: 26 October 2012, 11:40:09 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

and yours ?  Grin Grin
Medal
« Reply #20 on: 26 October 2012, 11:42:03 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

and yours ?  Grin Grin

Gold !  Grin
Ay but
« Reply #21 on: 26 October 2012, 14:21:28 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

he's right.
Or she's right. Cheesy
Wani
« Reply #22 on: 26 October 2015, 11:16:15 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If work here around 15 years and then I want to change employer how much I can get salary,,,,,
maid in singapore
« Reply #23 on: 08 January 2016, 10:34:41 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

We had our maid for a year. She was fantastic - both of us work and we have our aging mum living with us and the maid looks after her VERY WELL.

The maid supports her brother and sisters back in a village in the Philippines - one of them is retarded. Both her parents have died.

We recently gave her a pay increase and she's paid $1000 a month. And she deserves EVERY penny of it - and it's the decent thing to do.

Pay her a thousand - most expats can afford it.
Gupta
« Reply #24 on: 31 January 2016, 17:14:04 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Several good maid are from philipines.
Ravi Chancre
« Reply #25 on: 04 February 2016, 20:03:54 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Best maid SPG or expat wife if not so fussy.
Involved Helper's Friend
« Reply #26 on: 19 September 2016, 11:31:41 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've been in mission helping young ladies from a particular country to work with any of my friends and contacts.  I've trained my own helpers bcoz my family suffered in 3 years under 8 helpers who gave us different problems even though we paid them decently. I rolled up my sleeves & go train them properly & bring them to Spore without charging them nor my friends. I hope more Spore families will hv peace in their sanctuary.

* problems with majority of maid agencies operate to only as conduits. They don't really train them accept for only a handful. They don't get trained or different std of training from home-country.

* resulting some being rejected in first few months/year & agencies just continue to rotate them to different families to lower cost & increase employer payment fees. Most will succeed after 2-3 transfers either coz they learn not to complain bat employers or adjust quickly for survival sake after paying for their passage to Spore. S'times after transfer they chance on an elderly or a hands-on eyer to teach them the ropes. They learn to humble themselves. Some get arrogant with next few eyers coz I've come across one who started with $450 & her 1st eyer rejected her within a math but Booz of new min wage ruling, her 2nd eyer had to pay her $500, but she didn't survive 5 mths, and transfer again. She was somehow fortunate & got an American Chinese expat family who paid her $600 thinking she speaks English & had Spore experience & her agency recommend her! This was my neighbor who found her maid helping herself with her clothing store and cosmetics secretly and even took photos of herself dressed in the nines on her bed posted on her FB.  So, I've always advised eyes not to be tempted & keep giving ... somehow it feeds that human greed. A better way is to let her know your appreciation in form of a bonus at the end of contract, so you do not disrupt mkt rate. You're not only helping the community you live in, but eventually your family.

* my first Indonesian helper was excellent - fast & efficient, takes initiative from day one (in the old days, she had good training from Cilacap agent), she didn't have off-days and goes off only to send money. I increased her salary only $20 yearly then. She managed to build 2 houses for herself & parents, see her daughter to college and son with computer studies & piano lessons throughout the 6 years she was with us. She returned only when her parents were ill and not able to care for her children & Husband left her for ano. I gave her my appreciation thro a bonus, it's my family's wish to help her start a bz and be close to her children. She didn't expect it, she does her work without complain, but we all appreciate and still rmbr her after all these years.

* best to check the going market rate. Just call up agencies to enquire. Match and pay according to mkt rate owise, a phenomena is created for the maids to job hop & agencies do help them Booz they get cuts from this merry-go-round from the girls & eyers.  Bcoz they compare s'times they cannot ustand or discern others paid higher bcoz the girl's eyer wants to be kind, her work is good, etc. I took a transfer Mynamar helper who cared for elderly till her demise from cancer after only 4 months when she died at the void deck with only her helper by her side & employer was on business trip. Eyer kept "advising" me to pay her well (quoted me a possible fig) & give her weekly off-days even though this was her first exposure to Spore & she does not know how to cook & hv not assimilate into Spore culture. She didn't hv any off-days with this eyer. I called 2 agencies b4 deciding I'll adjust her pay mid-point & start giving her only 2 off-days after 6 months with me. She had no problem accepting & didn't want to go out on some days coz it's expensive for her to eat out, etc. Taught her to separate Color clothes when washing, hygienic preparation of food separating meat & veg board, baking, pizza dough for scratch, sushi making, etc. She had a great time with me like my daughter, and I sent her to CC for hair-cutting course & encourage her to set up bz back home.

I had so many unusual experiences with others :-

*  stealing from my family and discovered within 3 months (every off-days she goes out in a big bag & return with other new items claiming Sister, Cousin gifted her) coz we started suspecting & previous eyes contacted me they also made police report after discovering loss of thousands. Police cold not find much evidence but recorded her belongings of gold jeweleries which I alerted police that I rmbr seeing on baggage check on her first day with me. We sent her home & warned her she's alr got a record

* transferred girl who can't register every instructions & no eye contact and won't talk to me. She can clean & stack books in disarray and books stacked upside-down. Eventually I couldn't figure out her problem after showing her ironing, washing, etc.  Somehow, s'thing don't click and I rmbrd
spotting a red swim suit & sexy lingerie in her bag & asked her. She merely said her male eyes gifted her & said she doesn't swim after I asked if she knows how to. She's a simple village girl with 16 other siblings back home. Immediately, I brot her back to agency & she confessed (thro interpreter) her male eyer had molested her.  Police report made and ....

* a Filipina who wants every week off-days with higher salary. I gave her all she asked for but she can't cook, she can't iron our work clothes & washed clothes don't smell fresh. She either didn't want to do a good job, slow at learning or just simply no heart to concentrate doing her job. Yet, after 3 Maths with me, she requested a salary increase which was shot down. Then, she brought a transfer form for me to sign claiming her relative going to pay her what she wants. Before I knew it, in the midst of her flurry of requests and all, I had no choice to send her home coz the police came knocking to say she was caught in Geylang room ....

* ano Filipina just sat ard not working & always on her phone whatsapping, FB, etc demanding increase in salary bcoz her friends "all" getting more than herself! M'time she wild not eat lunch Nor dinner. I was the one cooking & seeing her go on strike this way, I got worried but didn't want to be held random. She was with us only 5 months. I sent her off on a midnite flight without sending back to agency. I realised I'll be passing my problem to ano family. I forgo the balance of her loan.

Skills training can be addressed but I can't train attitudes.

I now did a decent  set up representative of a modern home in a neighbouring country to offer domestic training. I work with a local Friend who spent her youth in Spore in her Uni days. She help me do follow-up for a few months & I return to assess the girls every quarterly. My hope is to expose them to good Housekeeping & hygienic concepts and also simple healthy cooking. Many of these villagers may not end up in Spore bcoz of English abilities, but I hope these skills will bless their families with good health. Those eager to find work in Spore are informed abut the strict rules in Spore and my own expectations of them. Just coz I'm not an agent and don't charge them. More like a true Friend, Mother and mentor. Whilst coaching them, I spot those who have a better chance adjusting in Spore and present them to my list of waiting friends. They apply for work permit for their own choice girls online with MOM & bring them for their medicals. So far, they're all doing well.

I hope as our population age, we have those who truly need jobs where they can't find in their countries. I hope to see through these girls to bless the families who give them jobs to send home and that my frds will take care & bless these girls who are helping ease household chores.

I'm also worried how some helpers will be stuck without jobs when policymakers dictate that they reside outside of their domestic jobs. In my humble opinion, it'll disrupt society and families' needs for round the clock care for elderlies, for young parents who need to rush off to work but waiting for the helper to arrive from her dormitory on a daily basis, monitoring these in&out can add more stresses to families. So I'm working to help bring another nationality in. Just a small step to help myself and people around me.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: