Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 29 April 2017, 13:33:38 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: vaccine safety  (Read 2227 times)
Research for you
« on: 03 June 2014, 21:37:22 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Delaying Vaccines May Increase Seizure Risk
New York Times, By NICHOLAS BAKALAR,  May 29, 2014 12:06 pm    

Childhood vaccinations like those for measles-mumps-rubella carry a small risk of seizures. Some parents postpone their children’s vaccinations because they believe the delay decreases the risk. But a new study finds the opposite may be true.

The analysis, published online in Pediatrics, involved 5,496 children born from 2004 to 2008 who had seizures in the first two years of life.

For children who received any of their shots as recommended before age 1, there was no difference in the incidence of seizure in the 10 days after vaccination compared with the period before vaccination. But compared with giving it in the first year, giving the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine at 16 months doubled the incidence of seizure, and giving the measles-mumps-rubella-varicella vaccine at that age increased it almost six times.

The risk of seizure after these vaccinations at any age is small — about 1 in 3,000 doses for the M.M.R. and 1 in 1,250 for the M.M.R.V.

“Our study demonstrates a low rate of febrile seizure after the M.M.R. and M.M.R.V. vaccines, and that this rate is increased if the vaccines are received at an older age,” said the lead author, Dr. Simon J. Hambidge, a researcher at the Kaiser Permanente Colorado Institute for Health Research. But, he added, “it is far riskier to delay or avoid vaccination than it is to vaccinate our children.”

This study compares vaccinated children, with a control group of vaccinated children. It's major flaw, is the absence of a control group of unvaccinated children. What is their seizure rate?

It also does nothing to explain why the risk of seizures double when using M.M.R.V as opposed to MMR.

I am not anti-vaccine. I am motivated to ask questions because I have a metabolically vulnerable child. If you are fully confident in the integrity of our vaccine safety information, please ignore this topic, and inject away.

Pls explain...
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2014, 0:00:11 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Sorry for my ignorance.... but what is a metabolically vulnerable child?
How does it show itself in daily life? 
How do you know if you have a metabolically vulnerable child?
Does it pertain only to infants - or is it a lasting condition into childhood/adulthood?

wont get an answer
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2014, 11:34:45 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I'm afraid our friend here is a true believer.

This imbues her with the superpower to post any old rubbish that agrees with her world view / biases without understanding what she is actually posting & throw a hissy fit if you dare question her.

Whatever metabolically challenged means is anyone's guess. Not surprised random phrases are being thrown around to obfuscate the message from the article.

The seizure they are talking about is "febrile seizure" - a fever fit linked to the onset of viral like fever caused presumably by the vaccine - which is exactly what the vaccine is meant to do to create long term immunity. Most won't suffer from such an effect.

Of course not vaccinating your kids would avoid this - not sure if this is why no control group was used - in fact from the snippet included in the article it's not clear a "control" group wasn't used - it's certainly not a reproduction of the entire research paper so it's pretty cocky to make that claim.

These types of research are normally done via data dredging existing cases - for ethical reasons it would be totally abhorrent to take a couple of thousand kids split them into two groups and use them as human guinea pigs - especially when one would definitely be left vulnerable to deadly infections.

So in reality you wouldn't have an actual control group for such a paper - it will be data mined from existing cases out in the field.

Her last line is total BS - look through past articles and tell me you think she is not anti-vaccine. And the cheap parting shot of ignore this topic if you disagree with me - basically asking people not to confront her erroneous uneducated and dangerous views on matters she clearly refuses to understand.

Well tough luck that this isn't North Korea & she's not the scary fat man who gets to dictate the rules.

Getting back to the article -
"Delaying Vaccines May Increase Seizure Risk" - i.e. do it earlier , not later.

Not don't do it at all.
Tubnubby
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2016, 9:29:36 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Interesting that a whistleblower scientist from the u.s cdc has now come forward saying that studies he worked on showed an increased autism risk for african american children receiving the mmr, and that the results of this study were covered up.
oldmike
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2016, 14:42:14 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Interesting that you give no source for this "information" People interested in the facts, rather than scaremongering, can follow this link.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/autism.html
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: