Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 23 March 2017, 22:12:55 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: traveling to bangkok alone  (Read 5809 times)
solo backpacker
« on: 18 November 2014, 23:48:35 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi, I am planning to visit Bangkok over a weekend in December and was wondering if its safe for a woman traveling alone. What are some of the dos and don'ts? Thanks in advance.

alobua

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2014, 13:24:09 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It's generally safe travelling in Bangkok. Always practice awareness and be mindful of where you go. Don't stay out too late. Language can be tricky especially with cab drivers and always carry a hotel card with you. Taxis are all metered and should there be any issues, let the taxi bring you back to the hotel and let the hotel staffs assist. However, travelling by the skytrain is the best solution and you have to select a hotel along the train line.
Shopping, partying and spas are great in Bangkok.
Don't carry too much cash and always you might want to keep a 1K Baht in your shoes or undies for emergency.
Tourist police can be helpful should you get ripped off, but try to shop in nicer shopping centers. Should you shop along the streets or in Patpong area, try haggling. It should be fun! For a start, try to haggle down by at least 70-80%. If they don't budge you walk away and wait for their reaction. After a while, you will get the hang out of it.
Spa treatment is a must! Go to the better spa though for a wonderful relaxing time. I use to start my trip off with facial, manicure, pedicure, foot massage followed by a Thai body massage. Way to start a wonderful trip.

Hae a great trip! Cheesy
solo backpacker
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2014, 13:46:55 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

thanks alobua!  Smiley
which hotel did you stay in?
Suzanna Leavitt

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2014, 20:24:25 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

My mother always travels to Bangkok to buy goods for resell in our store in Manila. Each time she stays at The Tawana Hotel on Surawongse Road. I had the chance to visit there also and the place is really nice. Weather is humid that's your number one concern, hydrate yourself as much as you can and not all can speak English so you might want to study basic Thai language  Wink
Bkk here we go!
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2014, 17:15:27 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi Solo,

Depending on what you want to do.

Try to book hotels along Sukhumvit Road.

Booking.com/Tripadvisor and various sites give very good rates and info.

I usually stay at Sukhumvit soi 22, Regency Park becos I know the manager there and there are hosts of pubs which I frequent as they are expat owned.

Tripadvisor will help you out just nice.

I will be in Bangkok 4 Dec to 8 Dec and then 15 Dec to !9 Dec again.

Sawasdww Khrup!  Wink
Aphrodite II
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2014, 2:28:29 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

My mother always travels to Bangkok to buy goods for resell in our store in Manila. Each time she stays at The Tawana Hotel on Surawongse Road. I had the chance to visit there also and the place is really nice. Weather is humid that's your number one concern, hydrate yourself as much as you can and not all can speak English so you might want to study basic Thai language  Wink
Ok. Back to scrubbing time.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: