Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 21 July 2017, 2:32:52 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: rodent problem- PLEASE ADVISE  (Read 1725 times)
rat wrath
« on: 11 April 2016, 16:04:14 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi all,

I have a severe rodent problem in my apartment. They made a hole in the false ceiling, bit several wires causing the electricity to trip and are giving me allergy problems. I have engaged two pest control agencies, sealed a gap in the wall above the false ceiling but they still seem to be coming in. They have made a home on the false ceiling. We have repeatedly told the condo management to do something about it (obviously the rats enter the condo premises somehow and then enter my apt) but the management refuses to take any responsibility. As of now, it seems, all I can do is just trap and eliminate them. But that doesn't stop them from coming.
Has anyone experienced such a problem before?
We are a family with young children and extremely worried about this issue.
Thanks in advance.

cheesed off
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2016, 0:36:37 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

1. Tell your landlord.

2. Call the Ministry of Environment

3. Get a cat.

4. Leave heaps of rat bait everywhere. Available in supermarkets I think.

5. If all else fails, mix some icing sugar with cement. Leave a dish of water next to it and leave little piles lying around where you think they are. Ensure kids can't access it.
jonwang88

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2016, 17:58:44 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

There are glue traps for rats that you can get in local hardware stores or supermarkets. I recently tried one and it is effective for catching the rats. You can find some videos on YouTube.

Not for the faint hearted: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=glue+trap+rat
proliferation
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2016, 0:32:34 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Vermin seems to be a growing problem everywhere. Especially in my neck of the woods which has recently encouraged food waste collection and composting bins, without actually thinking it through considering the consequences (increased rodents/flies). Drive through any back alley, and you can see the tell-tale big black poison boxes, which I used to think were some electrical thingy before.

Not sure if you can get these in Singapore but rat poison is now safely in 'grain bars' and housed in a small sandwich box with a hole so tiny, only a rodent can access. Fairly safe. Available in all DIY stores. Not cheap, they cost about $5 a box, and if you have an infestation - they keep eating. The problem with these is - the mouse/rat needs to feed for 5 consecutive days for the poison to have any effect. Now who on earth can guarantee that?

Pest control Rentokil sells the commercial version of this (with versions geared for interior/exterior usage. ONE feed =  death!) and on consumption ... the rodent needs to seek light or something (outside/external factor anyway)to ensure they do not die in the walls, closet or somewhere that will cause major stink.

mint
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2016, 22:52:51 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

A natural remedy which some say worked for them:

grow mint plants/crushed mint leaves/mint oil (cotton balls saturated with them)
lavender

Good Luck with your problem!
Timely rat
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2016, 16:57:37 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Oh I geddit! According to the PP, the OP has a rodent problem 'cos he's wearing the wrong sort of wristwatch!
Gofer
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2016, 3:01:28 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If you have PRC neighbour welcome them to hunt down the rodents.  Afterwards you can share the feast also if they allow.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: