Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 25 September 2018, 1:37:28 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Diplomatic clause while extending lease  (Read 658 times)
nicadd

View Profile
« on: 25 February 2017, 19:49:23 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hello! My two-year lease is up in April and I had a 12+2 diplomatic clause in it. My lease says the following:
"The Landlord will on the written request of the Tenant made not less than TWO (2) months before the expiration of the tenancy hereby created  ...grant to the Tenant a tenancy of the said premises for a further term of one (1) year from the expiration of the tenancy hereby created upon the same terms and conditions except for this option (to renew) and except for the monthly rent and hiring charges contained herein which shall be that as agreed to by the parties.

I want to renew for a year with the option to terminate with two months' notice but the landlord won't agree (to the option to terminate). But can I argue that the lease allows the diplomatic clause to continue as it is now? To me the wording implies that I can sign for another year and terminate during that year with two months' notice. But could it meant that I would have to go back to 12+2? Since the renewal is for a year, that doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: