Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 22 October 2017, 17:52:18 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Time to call it a day expat singapore  (Read 1217 times)
Byebye expat
« on: 07 July 2017, 2:35:13 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Any point in keeping this site going now ?  Nobody reads it.   Time to call it a day and shut her down for good.  Majority of western expats left town years ago and they wont be having us back.  Time to close the curtain on it for good.

oldmike
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2017, 0:44:18 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Any point in keeping this site going now ?  Nobody reads it.   

If nobody is ging to read your post, why bother in the first place?
bye bye expat
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2017, 1:13:49 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I know but I feel sorry for the poor old BM who has to manage it all.  After years of exhausting moderating and all that stuff....surely he must be worn out now and ready to move on. Theres not much expats left these days anyway.
oldmike
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2017, 14:20:41 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

On the other hand, she may be a rich, young middle aged, bored MILF
bye bye expat
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2017, 15:34:23 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

probably married to the kubes guy or the estate agent.
sad sack
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2017, 3:42:26 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Any point in keeping this site going now ?  Nobody reads it.   Time to call it a day and shut her down for good.  Majority of western expats left town years ago and they wont be having us back.  Time to close the curtain on it for good.

I'd be very sad if this happens. I've been a user of this board since 1997 or thereabouts. It has been EXTREMELY useful and helped in many aspects of settling down in Singapore during my stay. I remember the WNDC (Wednesday Night Drinking Club) and the Dinners organized by Richard Roman fondly.

Groups of us who were single would get together and see concerts, go bowling etc. If it closes down, I can understand why but I hope it doesn't.
buy buy expat
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2017, 3:02:35 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Its used by spammers and about a dozen or so indian expats these days.  very sad to see it go this way.

kemosabe
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2017, 18:23:37 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

What's wrong with indian expats using it? Huh
Dinosaurs 'R' Us
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2017, 8:15:08 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I haven't forgotten the wanton censorship the BMs applied to posts during the board's heyday. A lot of the regular posters mentioned this and then these posts were promptly removed too.

Local laws notwithstanding, the power to wield the sword clearly went to the BMs' heads and they totally overshot, completely alienating their base, most of whom threatened to leave and then did leave.

Then came social media in general and Facebook in particular.

Disruptors FTW!

Anyway, everyone is getting disrupted these days; it's a Darwinian world out there. And let's be honest, this board has had its day in the sun. It was a good run, a great run even. But now it's on life support and you can't see the patient for the wires.

Can you say coup de grace?

chue chue train
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2017, 12:20:16 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I haven't forgotten the wanton censorship the BMs applied to posts during the board's heyday. A lot of the regular posters mentioned this and then these posts were promptly removed too.

Local laws notwithstanding, the power to wield the sword clearly went to the BMs' heads and they totally overshot, completely alienating their base, most of whom threatened to leave and then did leave.

Anyone who's met Chue, the then expat board manager, will know that he was anything but a megalomaniacal person. The board's survived well throughout all that and anyone who didn't like it was welcome to leave. If you didn't leave, it's your fault and your problem no?
bye bye expat
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2017, 20:47:37 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I think anyway there are far less western expats in town anyway. 

The over zealous censoring was a turn off, but anyway it served its purpose in the early days when it was all we had, but its looking tired, lacking purpose, hacked every other day by cheapo fake goods peddlars. 

Most of us have fled the little red dot anyway.

I come in now and again on short working trips and don't feel that excitement or buzz anymore.  Overdeveloped, all the good dives & expat haunts have long been shut down. 

I look forward to the food but nothing else.   Seen it all, done it all before.

As we always used to get told, if you don't like it, you know where the airport and I was told that by an angry expat lady who had more baggage than heathrow airport.

I hope they keep it going, I really do for old times sake, but as one poster correctly said its just barely hanging in there and its had its day.

Vulcan admirer
« Reply #11 on: 09 August 2017, 14:43:34 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Wow...that fellow vulcan turned out to be right about everything....he won!  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: