Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 23 September 2018, 3:40:35 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: where are all the expats now  (Read 3441 times)
What about...
« Reply #30 on: 28 August 2018, 22:57:07 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

In the early 80s for us expats, the place to be was The Pebble Bar where the Forum Shopping centre is now. The place was heaving with expats, transvestites, models, expat women and the resident band was Tania.

Man! Heady days!

expat 1992
« Reply #31 on: 30 August 2018, 2:49:57 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Some great memories...happy times in Singapore before most of it all got demolished.
Skiddindaddy
« Reply #32 on: 30 August 2018, 16:06:37 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I was just a kid then. I remember strolling down Bugis Street with my mates one night and seeing things that are etched into my memory evenn ow.... Suffice to say that it was a very different Singapore back then.  Shocked

I also recall that there was still some oriental mystique in the air in those days. Not much of that now though. Been ages since I heard a good tale about pontianak. Nowadays locals are a lot more bochap about that sort of thing. For one thing, they're "snapping up" projects even when built smack dab on cemetery land. Wahlau-ay, times, they are a'changing.

Other places
« Reply #33 on: 30 August 2018, 18:37:13 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I was here in the late 70s and early 80s. Worked on the rigs and stayed in Singapore on time off.

The Jockey Pub!!

In the Shaw Building. Great times. In the late 70s   the whole place smelt of marijuana with the cops raiding it once in a while. The oilmen were there, the girls were there. There was a noticeboard full of pieces of paper advertising for skilled workmen, you'd just take it and call the number and get a job. In 1986 when the oil price crashed that board was empty. Never, ever thought that'd happen.

The Tropicana!

Approximately where the Pacific Plaza on Scotts Road is. It was quite a nightclub in its day. Think it had been around since the '60s. Demolished in 1989 I think. Cold airconditioning and hot girls. At one time it had dance troupes from around the world. 

TGIF

Started out around Clemenceau Avenue and then moved to the Far East Plaza. It was okay but fizzled out very quickly.

Club 392

Next to Orchard Towers. Was an old prewar shophouse building. Cosy atmosphere. Think it was owned by one of the family members of the FJ Benjamin group. Lots of hookers and trannies hanging about on the pavement.
easy and sleazy!
« Reply #34 on: 09 September 2018, 20:38:59 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Man I miss those days in the 80s and 90s. The expat women and local women worshipped us! Lots of bored expat houswives to pull. I was in Singers in 1979 and even had a chauffeur!!!!

And the sleaze!!!! Oh, the sweet sleaze! Going to the discos and all of us living out our Saturday Night Fever fantasies. The Hilton had movies going some nights by the pool. I remember the Jockey Pub, The Library in the Mandarin Hotel.

None of this local contract bullshit. All of us expats on expat allowances, staying in Holland Village. I'd love those days to come back.
the expat
« Reply #35 on: 12 September 2018, 13:14:26 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Man I miss those days in the 80s and 90s. The expat women and local women worshipped us! Lots of bored expat houswives to pull. I was in Singers in 1979 and even had a chauffeur!!!!

And the sleaze!!!! Oh, the sweet sleaze! Going to the discos and all of us living out our Saturday Night Fever fantasies. The Hilton had movies going some nights by the pool. I remember the Jockey Pub, The Library in the Mandarin Hotel.

None of this local contract bullshit. All of us expats on expat allowances, staying in Holland Village. I'd love those days to come back.
These days wont ever come back.
Yes they will
« Reply #36 on: 12 September 2018, 13:47:58 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yes they will. Singapore's not invincible. It's already come back in Batam, Thailand, Phillipines, heck even W. Malaysia.
On the run
« Reply #37 on: 12 September 2018, 13:53:37 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Another place that was great for expats was the Lion City Hash House Harriers. Loved the ritual back then of throwing our keys into the circle Cheesy.

Over run (pun unintended) by SPGs now.
exiting expat
« Reply #38 on: 15 September 2018, 15:56:55 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

[/quote]

Yes they will. Singapore's not invincible. It's already come back in Batam, Thailand, Phillipines, heck even W. Malaysia.
[/quote]

What exactly will come back ??    Lots of unproductive overpaid fat useless farts with their fat wives lording it over everyone with their spoilt brat kids getting the best of everything we have - because that's what it was like   It took years to clean the place up and we're not going there again.
love it or leave it
« Reply #39 on: 15 September 2018, 16:12:54 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

[/quote]

What exactly will come back ??    Lots of unproductive overpaid fat useless farts with their fat wives lording it over everyone with their spoilt brat kids getting the best of everything we have - because that's what it was like   It took years to clean the place up and we're not going there again.
[/quote]

What's the problem with that? When those days come back, so will all the sleaze and bored expat housewives waiting to be serviced by us single expat men!!
love it or leave it
« Reply #40 on: 15 September 2018, 20:40:28 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

And the best part is getting expat salaries instead of the local contract wank.
expatty person
« Reply #41 on: 17 September 2018, 12:45:24 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

And the best part is getting expat salaries instead of the local contract wank.

Local contracts are the norm these days it seems.
monkey see monkey dodo
« Reply #42 on: 18 September 2018, 18:33:39 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: