Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 23 September 2018, 3:01:58 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bringing a Dog  (Read 1312 times)
Gepetohong

View Profile
« on: 01 March 2018, 13:09:28 PM »

Have a question on bringing a dog to Singapore from U.S.  We have a large Labrador mix that has been with us since he was a puppy (9 years old now).  Problem is, we don’t know what the “mix” is, and whether it is one of the restricted breeds.  The vets have never speculated, and have always just labeled him as a Lab Mix.  

Is there a process that we need to go through to validate he is not a mix of one of the restricted breeds?  How does AVA determine that he is okay - breed-wise - to come into Singapore?
« Last Edit: 01 March 2018, 14:51:21 PM by LFB » Logged

LFB
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2018, 14:50:31 PM »

That is an interesting question.
I suppose short of a DNA test, everything else is just speculation & guessing.

Are you using a professional pet moving service or doing it on your own?  
If you're using a service, check with them - it can't be the first time the question has come up I suppose.  Otherwise, I guess check with Singapore AVA.  (Huh)  

I would venture to guess unless your dog has the aspect and appearance of one of the banned breeds you shouldn't have much problem - but I'm just making an assumption.  They might make you have him take the DNA test, but I doubt it.  You will certainly find out when you apply for the import license in any case.

We moved an 8yr old golden retriever when we came 6 years ago and we used a pet moving service.  It was ridiculously expensive ($5k+ USD), but worth it.  They helped us sort out all the health requirements and paperwork, booked all the flights and arranged with the airlines, had a stop-over in the Netherlands where he was able to get out for a walk & rest (we got updates and pictures by SMS), they handled the import license and arranged the quarantine for us.  They collected him from the house in the US and delivered him to us here at the end.  

He actually left the US a week before we did, and we were able to get him out a shortly after we arrived when he completed his 10 days in quarantine.  

We were even able to visit him a couple times at the quarantine station in Sembawang when we first arrived - not a terrible place.  He had his own pen with an indoor area with A/C & an outdoor area with a small patch of grass.  The handlers seemed professional and caring.  
He seemed pretty comfortable and he didn't seem terribly stressed.

Interesting to hear what you find out in the end - come back and post with what you find out if you don't mind, please.
You're welcome to drop me a PM private message here if I can offer anything else.

Good luck!!

LFB

« Last Edit: 01 March 2018, 19:48:56 PM by LFB » Logged
Gepetohong

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2018, 0:44:18 AM »

Thank you for that response, LFB!  I am planning on using a mover ($5K is exorbitant though!), but wanted to get a sense of whether anyone else has had this experience.  My understanding is that these dogs are allowed to LIVE in Singapore, just not able to bring them in.  So... residents can get one, but I can’t bring one... wondering what the purpose of that is.  I have already inquired at AVA so we’ll see what comes back.

Thing is, I have been offered a position and this might be a key factor in whether I will accept it or not.  He is family (have had it since he was 8 weeks old, now 9 years old) and leaving him behind is not an option.  Declining a position just for your dog might seem extreme to some...

Anyway, thanks for your insights, looking forward to others!
LFB
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2018, 14:38:07 PM »

I can understand the feeling - that's why we spent $5k!!!  Was it exorbitant - absolutely, was it worth it for a "member of the family" - sure.  My wife made it clear she wasn't coming if the dog didn't come.  Not sure if it was a bluff, but I wasn't

Sure would be a shame to miss an opportunity of an overseas posting.
Really is a life-changing experience (for us anyway).

again - Good luck.

LFB
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: