Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 21 August 2018, 0:44:56 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Medical insurance with pre existing condition - help!  (Read 352 times)
Hels

View Profile
« on: 29 June 2018, 2:22:16 AM »

Hi all,

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Singapore in the next six to twelve months. We both work for companies with offices in Singapore that allow internal moves and so with all the research etc. We're excited to firm up some plans.

Here comes the but..... My husband has Ulcerative Colitis that requires medical treatment every eight weeks. It's medication administered in the hospital and takes about one hour. We can't find any insurance company that would cover this. Is there anyone out there that had a condition that required regular treatment and how did you resolve this / how are you managing in Singapore?

Any information is really appreciated as we're thinking that this may actually stop the move.

Thank you all!  Smiley
« Last Edit: 29 June 2018, 3:03:54 AM by Hels » Logged

LFB
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2018, 9:36:09 AM »

There's a recent topic that talked about pre-existing conditions.
http://www.expatsingapore.com/forum/index.php/topic,111935.msg1704658.html#msg1704658

Not sure if that info is useful if it does not fit your specific situation.

Inquire with hospital(s) as to what the cost of this type of procedure here.
You might find the cost is lower than you expect as medical costs in SG are lower than the US (although you didn't mention where you are relocating from), particularly at the public hospitals like Singapore General, Changi General, and Tan Tock Seng Hospital.
Private hospitals like Parkway and Raffles are well more expensive, buts still generally less than the US.

Good luck and let us know how ya go
LFB
Hels

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2018, 13:45:08 PM »

Great, thank you LFB.

I'll read through the article, all info will put us more in the know. My husband has an appointment with his consultant in the next few weeks so is going to discuss options.

We're from the UK so have the NHS. We'll definitely research prices. Hopefully I'll be coming back with good news.

Thank you!
LFB
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2018, 13:59:51 PM »

No problem - good luck
By the way - the article is a posting in this forum...  By mistake I linked only one reply in the topic - I should have linked the entire topic.  Please read the whole thing.
Here is the corrected link to get the entire topic.
http://www.expatsingapore.com/forum/index.php/topic,111935.msg1704658.html

All the best of luck

LFB
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: