Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 02 September 2014, 4:55:22 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Turning 1  (Read 323 times)
Mum of Twins
« on: 24 October 2005, 10:32:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Dear parents, I have a boy and a girl who will turn one in a month's time and we are looking for birthday presents. We want a combination of "developmentally educational" and plain fun toys. Any suggestions? I am also thinking to get my little girl her first doll. Thanks.
ExpatSingapore Message Board
« on: 24 October 2005, 10:32:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

my POV
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2005, 10:52:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have a 1 year old and like you, I wanted her to have a baby doll for her 1st birthday present.  So I got her a Baby Annabell from the UK.

She is the least interested in her doll or any dolls for that matter.  I was then told dolls are of no interest to girls till they reach 2 1/2 years old or so.

She much prefers to play with her Fisher Price toys that have play music.  She enjoys turning on the music on her own and seeing the flashing lights, and clapping away.

Toy R Us has the widest range of Fisher Price toys, if you are interested.

ELC (Early Learning Centre) at Paragon sells a lot of age appropriate developmental toys and I like shopping there.  The store is tiny compared to the ones in UK.  It does not have the whole range of toys but you can certainly find something for a 1 year old.

TheBowenFamily

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2005, 12:33:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I agree with the previous poster in regards to Baby Annabel type dolls as they are much too sophisticated and too heavy for a 1 year old. However my 11 month old has a fabric dolly from ELC and another from Mothercare which she kisses and hugs. I play a game where I kiss and hug "Rosie" and "Posie" and then she does the same. She loves it and we even get Daddy to play along (which he loves - Not!).

One of her favourite toys at the moment is a giant fabric snake from Ikea which she wraps around herself and then I sing a made-up song called "Snake-girl" to her.

Another great toy are the Mega-Blocks. You can sit for more extended periods building structures with your child and not get terminal boredom. They have animals etc - we make a zoo quite often which she likes.

Mum of Twins
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2005, 14:36:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for the ideas. Are there any other "essential" toys I should be looking at? What about the Leapfrog toys?
active bub
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2005, 15:22:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

My little girl loved lego at that age - not into dolls until almost three but loved her lego/building blocks.  Also loved wooden peg puzzles not so much when just 1 but by 18mths and onwards.

I personally don't know anyone who bought leapfrog and found it worth the money but some people & kids must like it!

globetrotter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2005, 1:18:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

My parents got a 3-in-1 rider for my bubs; it has 3 stages, so it grows with the child. I think it can be stationary, then a rocker, and finally a rider. He absolutely loves it, and rides all over our apartment.

As for Leapfrog, I got the Touchpad, and he's getting into it, now, at 22 months.

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: