Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 16 October 2018, 22:57:47 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bringing Maid to Korea  (Read 4570 times)
Anyone?
« on: 28 July 2005, 21:15:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Will be moving to Korea with 2 babies. Has anyone brought their Filipino helper with them to Korea either for a holiday or to live? There is very limited information on the web on this so any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

bobby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2005, 21:58:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Friends of mine tried to bringe their maid to Korea when they moved there. No chance. 3 months visa...that was it. But they did not have kids  - good luck to you!
flightless bird

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2005, 5:44:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Lots of people have Korean maids in Korea. You could take your current maid with you for a couple of months to help settle in, then employ a local maid.
friend
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2005, 14:51:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

of mine moved to Korea - it was impossible to take the maid legally.
bobby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2005, 15:03:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

to flightless bird: The problem might be to find a helper who speaks englisch  
flightless bird

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2005, 19:00:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It is more difficult to have an English-speaking maid (or even Englisch!   ) but not impossible, especially if they are going to Seoul.  The maid probably won't live in either. You might have a daily cleaner rather than a maid as we know it here in Singapore.
Let's face it - life in Singapore is easier than many other parts of Asia!

[This message has been edited by flightless bird (edited 29-07-2005).]

flightless bird

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2005, 19:10:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

OP I used a forum similar to this website when I lived in Pusan, Korea. Look for the pusanweb  page. Also, do a google for "Seoul forum + expatriates" for more info.
Anyone
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2005, 10:43:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks all. The Korean Embassy has confirmed that they will not even issue a tourist visa to Filipino domestic workers which mean I can't even take her for the first couple of months to help settle in. That's why the dilema. I was planning to find someone there after settling in. However I was told from an expat living in Seoul that her Filipino helper goes in and out on a 3 month tourist visa which contradicts the official Korea Embassy line I was given. Anyone can confirm either? Thanks.
Grub

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2005, 13:00:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I know this filipino lady who went to Korea to live for 6 months. She returned recently (last week) and is off to the USA to live with the same Korean family for 2 years. I will ask her what visa she is on.
Helpless You
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2005, 16:08:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

ever thought about looking after the kids yourself?
Anyone?
« Reply #10 on: 02 August 2005, 17:04:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Dear Grub, I would appreciate it if you will let me know what sort of visa she's on. Thanks. To Helpless You, as my husband works long hours and travels extensively and I have 8 month old twins, it would be extremely helpful to us to have an extra pair of hands. Not that I have to justify any of this to you.
Grub

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 August 2005, 22:23:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi I called the maid (who was formerly my part time maid) and what the Korean family did was to cancel her work permit here and issue her with a tourist visa for Korea. She was advised not to go out alone so she was with the family all the time. I guess it's not legal for her to be working but apparently lots of Filipinos work on tourist visas there. I don't think the Koreans give out work permits or maid visas like other countries. She has to leave Korea every 3 months as that is how long the visa lasts. You must be prepared to answer queries from Immigration.

Hope that helps. I think the key thing here is that they cancelled her work permit first before applying for a tourist visa. There are loopholes so I hope that you can take your maid to Korea. If you want more clarification, I could ask the maid to contact you and maybe you could arrange to speak with her employers.

[This message has been edited by Grub (edited 02-08-2005).]

Simarjeet Kaur
« Reply #12 on: 02 August 2018, 15:28:21 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hello mam/ sir
My name is simarjeet Kaur I’m indian
Now I do work in Singapore I have 3year experience ..on domestic helper or. Nanny’s
Domestic worker and nanny..
But now I want come to south korea Seoul..
Because my husband work there..somebody help me plz
My Singapore contact +6593972602
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: