Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 13 December 2017, 7:46:18 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Is Jasmine Tea okay during pregnancy?  (Read 10773 times)
Bubble and Squeaky

View Profile
« on: 09 October 2003, 20:54:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Having a sudden panic attack. I did ask my gp when I went in whether jasmine and chamomile tea was okay during pregancy, and she said it was okay. As I had a bit of a sore throat drank some today. Am now suddenly randomly worried though whether it is safe. Can't find any info online.

It's probably just the hormones making me paranoid, but now I am worried that I shouldn't have taken it.

Anyway, does anyone know one way or another?

How About?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2003, 9:53:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I read somewhere a long time ago that pregnant mothers should avoid chamomile tea. If I can locate the article, I'll post it here for you.
Badgurl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2003, 13:23:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

i guess there are conflicting views on this. the only tea i take is the red raspberry tea, and that is, only after a comprehensive research.  

[This message has been edited by BoardManager (edited 10-10-2003).]

Bubble and Squeaky

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2003, 14:04:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for the feedback both of you, and the link.

I guess I was just having a mega paranoid moment last night. All the same though I'm cross with myself for not checking more thoroughly earlier.

From now on I will err on the side of caution and avoid.

Satine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2003, 15:54:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hmm... I'm 5 months pregnant now, and I always take tea everyday on the early stage of pregnancy since I read it helps you from vomiting, which I found quite true. Now I begin to worry.....
Bubble and Squeaky

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2003, 19:16:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Satine - don't worry I'm sure it's fine. If it was really bad then of course there would be lots of warnings not to take it, like with caffeine and alcohol. It's probably one of those things that's okay in moderation.

I was just frustrated last night by the lack of info on herbal teas during pregnancy online. As I don't want to drink too much normal tea or coffee, herbal tea would be a good substitute, but there doesn't seem to be anything anywhere which says for sure that it is safe.

mommy
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2003, 19:18:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I believe it's red raspberry LEAF tea you should drink ... and that's only in the third trimester.  Plain red raspberry flavored tea won't have the same effect. You can buy it healthfood stores. Chamomile tea shouldn't be harmful.
nct
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2003, 19:27:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

From what I remember from my very helpful National Childbirth Trust classes in the UK, the raspberry leaf tea is recommended as a natural stimulant to help stimulate  labour, so clearly should be avoided earlier in pregnancy. Other than that, the usual "all things in moderation" provision applies, alcohol and smoking excepted. Worrying about drinking a few cups of tea, coffee or herbal tea will be far more stressful and less beneficial to the baby than drinking the stuff.
Badgurl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2003, 11:20:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

yup, i mean the red raspberry leaf tea. i started taking em when i was in my first trimester in fact, to help ease my horrendous morning sickness. but i took it in moderation and only after much reading and talking to fellow moms on the boards..
WAHM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2003, 14:32:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Actually there is a TON of information on the internet about the use of herbal supplements and herbal teas during pregnancy - one google search and I found several good quality web pages. Just type in "herbal teas pregnancy safety".

Chamomile - here's what I found : The oil is a potent uterine stimulant to be avoided, but the dried or fresh herb is safe in moderation

Red raspberry leaf tea - A uterine stimulant in high doses; best limited to the final six to eight weeks and during labour.

RRL tea is usually drunk as a uterine tonic, not to induce labour as such but to make the contractions, when they come, more effective. I am not aware of any controlled medical trials about how effective it is.

This website has a comprehensive list of herbs to be avoided, used in moderation, or used freely during pregnancy.
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/general/536346.html

Bubble and Squeaky

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2003, 16:26:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for all the info. WAHM - most of the info I found seemed to be talking about herbal medicines and oils, rather than teas specifically and I still can't find a definative answer for Jasmine tea.  

Anyway, agree that worrying about it is probably more stressful than drinking the stuff. So trying my best not to fret over every little thing - which is difficult for a newby like me  

Galaxy
« Reply #11 on: 13 October 2003, 12:47:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi all!
During my pregnancy I drank one cup of black tea in the morning as my blood pressure was very low, and this helped me to feel better. I tried to avoid any other caffein containing drink during the day, although I'm sure in moderation it's fine. Just be aware that jasmine tea often contains green tea which to my knowledge is very high in caffeine. Any herbal tea should be okay drank in moderation   - try not to stick to the same tea several times a day.
Suzanna Leavitt

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 October 2017, 9:12:51 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Jasmine tea has some amount of caffeine which is not recommended. However there are some OBs like mine that allows to drink a cup of coffee or tea once a day only.
krestynal

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 October 2017, 17:44:44 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I think it's not forbidden as long as you're not taking to much of it.
purplerose

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 October 2017, 20:28:11 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

hope this can help

https://www.bellybelly.com.au/pregnancy/tea-during-pregnancy-teas-to-drink-teas-to-avoid/
Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: