Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 22 October 2017, 17:53:12 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Kota Kinabalu  (Read 547 times)
trekker
« on: 24 June 2002, 15:32:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Would appreciate tips or any useful information from anyone who has gone on a mountain trekking trip up Kota Kinabalu and Poring Hot Springs which is supposed to be a great way to end the trip.

Am not the fittest person in the world but have been told the two day one night trek up the summit is manageble. Can anyone confirm that? Am prepared for some aches and pains after the trek but my inability to even ascend a flight of stairs after climbing Mt Batur in Bali has left me feeling a bit anxious about attempting Kota Kinabalu
Thanks

Charlie
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2002, 19:29:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You mean Mt Kinabalu. KK is the city - trekking around that should be no problem.
trekker
« Reply #2 on: 25 June 2002, 10:27:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yes- hw sily of me. I meant to ask if it is hard to climb Mt Kinabalu if one is not used to hard physical exercise
try
« Reply #3 on: 25 June 2002, 10:54:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You don't have to be super fit but you will enjoy it much more, and still be able to move your calves and thighs/buttocks afterwards if you do a bit of training beforehand to improve your stamina and leg fitness eg on stepper or cross-trainer machines or regular walks at Bukit Timah. I haven't done it myself yet, but a couple of groups of friends have (not terribly athletic types) and they did work to improve their fitness beforehand.
trekker
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2002, 11:54:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for your reply Try- will take up your suggestion of building up stamina first. Since we will be travelling only in August have about a month to improve my level of fitness.

After climbing Mt Batur in Bali which is supposed to be an easy climb, I literally rolled down afterwards as there were no proper trails so ended up being so stiff I walked like a duck for the rest of the holiday - amusing for some but very painful for me!

Unlike Mt Batur, which is a volcano, have heard there are proper trails in Mt Kinabalu so hopefully this should lessen the difficulty somewhat.  

Msimbati

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2002, 17:31:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I climbed KK last Aug in 6.5hrs bottom to top - fantastic.  You do need to be reasonably fit and determined.  It is hard going - no flat - all up then all down - harder coming down (we ran).  If you want more info and what to do in and around KK mail me - [email protected].  Something you should attempt - and hope the weather is OK.
climber
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2002, 23:26:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Mt K is manageable is you are not fit - but only if you get great weather.  I consider myself to be reasonable fit (play golf, swim, aerobics) and managed perfectly fine, however 2 out of our group of 8 who also considered themselves fit really struggled up the last part of the moutain and were very thankful to our guide who literally held there hands to the top.  Like I mentioned, the weather was great for us ... importantly do not forget you are climbing a mountain ... it could get very dangerous and difficult if the weather was not in your favour.  Ensure you have all the right clothing / equipment for such conditions.  People have died on this moutain in recent years - don't let it be you!  That said, it is a very beautiful mountain and well worth the climb and all the effort (including the very sore body) .... just be prepared!
trekker
« Reply #7 on: 02 July 2002, 11:59:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Msimbati and Climber - am now spending every weekend walking the trails at the Bukit Timah nature reserve to prepare for KK- no comparison I know but at least i will go fitter than I am now.

Msimbati - will email you on your suggestions.

Thanks all  

Coyote

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2002, 11:16:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Am going next month... will share with you guys more then... can't wait, actually.. looking forward..... tot of the sunrise simply brightens up my day!!!
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: