Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 26 October 2014, 13:53:11 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Changing Companies/job in Singapore -EP?  (Read 2591 times)
head hunted
« on: 26 April 2001, 13:44:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am doing some pre-investigation into (possibly) changing companies in Singapore.
Was wondering what the changes on EP getting rejected for "new" job. Is it a limited risk. - I plan to have a cancellation clause in the new contract stating "For what every reason...."
The EP pass is based on employee (me) and "new" company -I guess. or is it?
what is the best mechanism to ensure trouble free change. ie do I sign "new" contract first then hand in notice....
ExpatSingapore Message Board
« on: 26 April 2001, 13:44:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

BTDT
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2001, 14:24:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The EP should be the responsibility of your (new) employer.  See the HR people to take care of if for you.  This happened to me on 3 occassions and I did not need to lift a finger, the head of HR just took care of it as part of their duties.
Pierson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2001, 14:32:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You're correct when you say that your EP is based upon your 'new' company and you as an employee - you have to be sponsored by an employer to be issued with an EP.

I came to Singapore with one opportunity only to see it disolve inside 3 months - result: return to the UK or find another opportunity here.

I found an alternative and have just been through this process.  Your existing EP is cancelled upon leaving your existing exployee (as he/she can no longer sponsor you) and you must re-apply in full, with all of the documents, 2 x photos, etc., etc., you originally required.  There is no guarantee that you will be granted an EP with a new employer, though I have been told that existing EP-status can help - hence, try to co-ordinate the cancellation/re-submission process into one movement.

The EP stamp in your passport will be cancelled and the PP returned to you pending re-submission.  Thereafter, you have xx days (usually 30, I think) in Singapore as a visitor but with the right to work.

I believe that an employers' status vis-a-vis industry segment, established nature (or otherwise), size, etc., all have a bearing upon how likely you are to be re-issued with an EP - and your own skills will also be important.  'In demand' experience is often appreciated, apparently.  Your 'new' employer should be prepared to do much of the donkey-work in chasing the MOM and settling any queries that may arise - especially if you're being head-hunted!

Whilst it's not a formality, I'm not sure that you should be over-worried by the prospect of moving jobs.  If the same skills which brought you to Singapore and saw you being granted an EP in the first place are presumably still to be brought to bear in a new position with a new employer, I suspect that you won't have too much to be concerned over.

Good luck!

Pierson

head hunted
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2001, 15:26:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

thanks for great reply - very good info, will now start the ball rolling...
Cheers
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: