Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 02 September 2014, 4:55:15 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping a dog in Singapore  (Read 2892 times)
flyingemus

View Profile
« on: 04 April 2005, 15:00:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi everyone, I'm in need of some info on keeping dogs in Singapore.  Can someone please explain the circumstances and housing required for keeping a medium sized dog?   Can you please suggest the nicest areas that will service the dog, children going to AISS, husband working in bussiness central and my passion for playing/learning tennis.  All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  p.s.  we are about to have our immunisations: do you think we need to have the cholera?  We will be there for 3-5 years.......

Thanks everyone,  

ExpatSingapore Message Board
« on: 04 April 2005, 15:00:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Archives
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2005, 17:00:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If you wish to read about other people's experiences about having a dog in Singapore, bringing a dog to Singapore, etc.you should do a search at the archives. Especially in "Living in Singapore" - sections. Good postings!

Lots of postings  named like:
- Are dogs allowed in condos
- Big dogs in condos
- can dogs travel in taxis
- is your dog happy
- Dog owners/lovers - advice please
- Bringing a dog to SGP
- condos and dogs

Unfortunately I am not able to help you with your questions  

Aliya

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2005, 17:12:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Any house with a garden will do for a dog.  I would rent close to a park or a nice place to walk the dog.  
dog dog
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2005, 20:25:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Brought our Kelpie from Oz.  She's never been happier.  Lives on the 7th floor.  Gets taken out 4 or 5 times per day for exercise and abloutions.  No problem whatsoever.  Hope this helps.
flyingemus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2005, 13:00:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for the info guys, just one more question:  Do all condos and apartments allow dogs?  Or will we find it an issue to locate one?   thanks again for replies.
SM8N3388
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2005, 13:14:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You need to seek the approval of your neighbours to keep dogs as pets?  Serious  
Sven Erickson
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2005, 13:19:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Are dogs allowed in Taxis? I know some expats claim that taxi drivers intentionally avoid Caucasians, but will they do the same to dogs??
Aliya

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2005, 13:40:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Some taxi drivers cant take dogs because the drivers are Muslims. But in general you can take dogs in taxis, usually best to ring and order a taxi first and tell them you haev a dog, I have never had a problem with this.

Secondly yes most condos will take dogs but ensure that the rules allow you before you sign the lease.  Dont rely on the agents comments.  Having said that I had a dog in a condo where it said you couldnt because most of the other residents had one tooo.

dog dog
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2005, 20:13:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

We needed the owner's permission to keep a dog in our apartment.  

We were denied another apartment that we made an offer on as the owner wouldn't allow a dog.

We had no problem booking a taxi to take a dog but I was told to pre-book, as I did.  Muslim drivers will not allow a dog into their cab.

SM8N3388
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2005, 14:30:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Dogs not allowed because drivers are Muslims?? Is this company policy? What happen if there a life and death emergency and what does SPCA have to say about this??
DogLover
« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2005, 15:00:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

SPCA never has anything worthwhile to say. Unless it's "Give us more $$$."

They euthanise hundreds of dogs daily. Do you think they truly care? If they did, we ought to be seeing at least some sort of increase in their adoption rates.

Check out their annual financial statements.

That's why I would rather support the smaller charities like Animal Lovers League or Action for Singapore Dogs.

just book it
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2005, 15:02:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

quote:
Dogs not allowed because drivers are Muslims?? Is this company policy? What happen if there a life and death emergency and what does SPCA have to say about this??

Dude, it's a religious issue with Muslims -- they cannot touch or be touched by dogs - it is considered unclean. Why would you want to force someone to go against his religious beliefs? It makes no difference whether you agree with or understand someone else's beliefs, you don't get to decide for them. Call a taxi company and book a cab in advance letting them know you have a dog to transport - a driver who has no problem with a dog in the taxi will show up for the fare. Sheesh. Cut people some slack, please.

Sven Erickson
« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2005, 15:04:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

That constitute bad taxi service when passengers with dogs are discriminated. Are the transport ministry of the aware of this first class service Singapore is providing. What if you're blind with "guide dog" just like someone who's in a wheel chair in need of public transport??
DogLover
« Reply #13 on: 06 April 2005, 15:40:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Sadly, dogs and their owners by default, are often openly discriminated against in Singapore.

Guide dogs here have to suffer the same as their lesser skilled counterparts. Tongue That means that they can be (and are) denied entry to many public places, inclusive of public transportation. Many commercial outlets (malls etc.) don't welcome dogs - not even guide dogs.

The Koran says that to touch a dog's SALIVA is taboo - BUT, muslims who come into contact with the above can still easily go through a "cleansing" process (involves washing with earth or something like that) to "purify" themselves.

If I were to ever become dependent on a guide dog, I doubt that anyone who'd cut me or my dog ANY slack in this country. Tongue

In a local pet magazine, a blind guy who had a guide dog and was attached to the US embassy for a few months commented that he'd never felt as unwelcomed anywhere in the world as he did while in Singapore.

You know what Mahatma Ghandi said about judging a nation by the way her people treat their animals etc.

DogLover
« Reply #14 on: 06 April 2005, 15:43:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've experienced HORRIBLE service from taxi drivers even though I book a cab and STRESS that I have a dog on leash. Mostly from COMFORT Cab drivers strangely. Tongue

Nowadays, I usually call TIBS Taxi - they seem to give me fewer problems.

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: