Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 24 September 2017, 20:11:13 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Singtel's "MP3 Music Pack"  (Read 23746 times)
Kubes.SG

View Profile
« on: 30 November 2007, 0:24:54 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Watchout for deceptive Singtel charges and practices.

• Singtel includes a 3 month Free MP3 Download service in the fine print of new mobile plans
  • At the end of 3 months you must OPT-OUT to avoid a $5/mth change
  • It appears to be impossible to opt-out of this service

Last week I discovered a charge of $16.05 for something called "MP3 Music Pack" on my Singtel mobile account.  I called Singtel to get it removed as it was not something had requested or used.  After much discussion the operator told me the charge was for 3 months use of the service, after the initial 3 month FREE trial period expired.  Six months ago I signed up for Singtel's Mobile Broadband plan, not changing my basic phone plan, but seems that Singtel included this free value added service.  She told me I should have responded to an SMS message that was sent to me if I DID NOT want to continue with this "service" at a costs $5.35/mth.

She cancelled the $16.05 change and I told her to cancel this value added service.  I thought that was the end of it.

An hour ago I got this text message:

"MP3 Music Pack FREE offer will end in 3 days & a charge of $5.35/mth applies if you wish to continue.  You may unsubscribe from MP3 Music Pack site."

I have just wasted 45 mins trying to find any reference to this website - there is nothing on the SingTel site as this seems to be a 3rd party service.  I managed to log on to my IDEAS account and discovered this:

Date & Time Transaction Description     Content Provider Qty Price Transaction Fee
01/11/2007 12:00:46 AM  MP3 Music Pack  Oracle Vision      1 $5.00 $0.00

Even googling Oracle Vision and MP3 Music Pack does not provide any way to opt-out.  Only other people complaining about the same problem.

Unfortunately I am travelling for a few weeks and cannot easily call Singtel but will give them hell when I get back.

In the meantime check your bills.

This is clearly a scam and Singtel is enabling it by including it in most new mobile plans, and then making opting-out virtually impossible (at least for me).  According to Singtel's website you get this "MP3 Music Pack" service and the additional $5.35/mth charge if you have signed up for Singtel's iOne+, iTwo Value, iTwo+ plans - it's most popular ones.  It is highly likely Singtel have signed-up many hundreds of thousands of people to new plans this year.  At $5 per month that is getting to be pretty serious money.

If you can figure out how to opt-out of this "service" please let me know.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the Majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the Insane.

Unsubscribed!!!
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2007, 7:59:07 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am so glad I found your post as I just got one of these messages myself about the "free" MP3 Music Pack!  After reading their message, I concluded (and I'm sure a lot of other people) I didn't have to do anything as I didn't want to subscribe.  However, after I read your post, I thought I had better research this further before seeing unwanted charges on my bill.  I am soooo glad I did!

Those leeches  Angry certainly didn't make it easy for people to unsubscribe!  But, I did manage.  The trick is to keep scrolling down!!!  Here are the details:

To unsubscribe:

Click on "Web Access"  on your mobile

then hit  "Browser" (which, by the way, takes forever to load so you need to be patient)

Eventually, the IDEAS screen will appear

scroll to and select  "MusicVibes"

scroll down and select "Subscription"  (I think it's the 4th option)

scroll down and select "MP3 Music Pak (1st)"

-- now you have to keep scrolling down page after page of their ads of various Top Hits, etc. and then scroll PAST the "subscribe Now" link and click on

"For help click Customer Service"

--  at this point, you will have to KEEP SCROLLING DOWN past their instructions and phone numbers until you reach a paragraph that says "To unsubscribe Have you downloaded your FREE ringtones?"  KEEP SCROLLING DOWN here until you see a link to "Unsubscribe Now"  -- (God, they are so sneaky!!!!  Angry)

click on that and you should get a screen that asks if you are sure you want to unsubscribe (duh!), and a confirmation ! -- YEAY!!!!! you've made it!   Grin

I hope these instructions will help! If you have any problems, let me know via this board.   

GOOD LUCK!!! 

genice
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2007, 9:22:09 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

thanks for the instructions to unsubscribe MP3 music pack! =)
Unsubscribed!!!
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2007, 13:33:40 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It was a pleasure to give those instructions.  I hope it will help others.  I HATE it when these companies try to get away with these types of sneaky and totally dishonest tactics!  Even though $5 per month may not sound like much, it's the principle of the thing!  Undecided
hellllo
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2007, 13:08:45 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

OMG,

Thank You SOOOO MUCH for da instructions! I was so pissed off when i received my bill saying that I have to pay $15 more for this MP3 music pack. And seriously, i dunno how to unsubscribe and im starting to panick. *hehe*

Thanks thanks thanks so much! You've just helped mi save many of my $5s! Thanks once again!! Smiley

ZR
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2007, 0:16:22 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

We should write this in the forum. This is like something that everyone should know.
Kok sheng
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2007, 5:30:09 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks alot for sharing this info.I was facing the same problem.I went down to a singtel store only for the staff to reject my request for their help to cancel this MONEY-CHEATING MP3 music pack.I called in to the customer service and told them that i WANT to cancel it and the guy over the phone promises to call me back 1 day later to confirm all the details..guess what? I waited for like 2 months and Bravo!..No call at all! I am now seriously considering changing to M1 or starhub.
Unsubscribed!!!
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2007, 8:10:20 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Haha!  It gives me tremendous satisfaction that the instructions are helping to deny this scheming company of their undeserved profits! Spread the word! hmmm... wonder how much it costs to put a huge ad in the Straits Times?  Cheesy
a very grateful girl
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2007, 9:15:24 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thank you very much! I've been trying to figure out where that extra oracle vision billing comes from until this. Sneaky scam!
mdaness
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2007, 9:58:08 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Write to ST Forum page or Today Online. Meanwhile, address the letter to MDA Media Development Authority as well.
anon
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2007, 17:40:52 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

me too!
i need help
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2007, 21:05:35 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Unsubscribe -

I tried the instructions here but I get 'GPRS not available' when I go to web access and hit browser. What to do? I've put 2 calls into Singtel on this and am currently waiting for them to call me back as they are 'investigating.' If I don't hear from them by the end of the week, I'm calling them again & will keep doing so until someone takes care of this. Pisses me off!
Unsubscribed!!!
« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2007, 8:56:57 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Sorry to hear about your inability to access the web browser on your mobile.  I just tried to access the web browser on mine and did not have any problems, although I did noticed the schemers changed some of the menu options -- now they have included a bunch of Christmas promos.  But the basic steps to unsubscribe are still the same.

Anyway,  I'm not an expert on this, but the reference to the GPRS in your message makes me wonder whether it might be related to your proximity to Singtel's wireless network?  Were you in a remote, basement or underground location?

Perhaps you can try going into a Starbucks/Delifrance/Burger King  where there is free wireless internet access and try again?

Also google "singtel wireless surf zones"  for a list of places where you can access the Singtel wireless network.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. 
Let me know if the above suggestion helps.
darkarcader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 December 2007, 17:44:52 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

... my handphone model is a nokia 3220... it doesn't even play mp3... can anyone help me solve this big problem of mine to unsubscribe the mp3 music pack? since it is an older version of mobile phones the help above cannot work as i dun really i IDEAS in my mobile. can anyone send me an e-mail([email protected]) on how to unsubscribe this thing that is leeching my money?
« Last Edit: 26 December 2007, 17:50:15 PM by darkarcader » Logged
darkarcader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 December 2007, 21:24:43 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

ok i solved it... you can also call 1626 to cancel it
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: