Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 14 August 2018, 14:33:34 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: where to get hummus  (Read 55948 times)
to granada
« Reply #30 on: 11 February 2009, 21:41:54 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi

You mentioned that you follow Montignac and I have been after one of his books for quite some time but cannot seem to find one here in Singapore.  Borders told me they are out of print, I was trying to get Montignac for Women.  Tried to order one from Amazon UK but couldn't find one there either, they do have pre loved books but when I tried ordering it stated they don't deliver to Singapore.

Do you happen to know where I could get a copy.

TIA.

Tahini Mama
« Reply #31 on: 13 February 2009, 17:49:12 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi there, can anyone tell me where to get the ingredients for making hummus, namely tahini sauce and chickpeas? I can't seem to find it in Singapore...Would much appreciate it! Cheers!

Cold storage sell all that - even my tiny cold storage have tahini and chickpeas.  I buy S&W chick peas (they're with all the other tinned peas and beans) and tahini is usually with the jam and spreads (at least in our store it is).  

Tahini was about $7 last time I bought it - you can get it cheaper at mustafas but it depends on whether you're going there anyway - if not, probably cheaper to get it at your local shop (no cab fares!).

BTW, chickpeas are sometimes labelled as Garbanzo Beans (which might be why you can't find them on the shelves).

I got a recipe for hummus from the BBC food website, so you could have a look for that one as I found it to be very tasty.
Mrs Sparkles

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 17 February 2009, 19:16:48 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

...I have been after one of his books for quite some time but cannot seem to find one here in Singapore.  ... I was trying to get Montignac for Women.  Tried to order one from Amazon UK ...

Have you tried Amazon.com? I just checked and found a couple of second hand sellers offering international delivery. I have ordered items through amazon-listed sellers before; transaction done with Amazon and the other retailer despatches the goods. Worked fine for me!

Good luck!
scoobydoo

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 February 2009, 21:45:51 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I made the recipe this evening that I posted above.  It came out really well but is on the spicy side-not sure how that happened unless I put in more garlic than I realized.  Now I'm going to try a recipe for the Arabic bread.
Steph Tan
« Reply #34 on: 11 November 2011, 7:12:15 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The Best Hummus is in Kazbar. Both Capital square and Cuppage hhave consistent standard.

Arab street is nonsense and other middle eastern restaurant localize the taste...
Kazbar has really pure hummus and other good dips like babaganoush and Mohammarad.
P.O.D.
« Reply #35 on: 13 November 2011, 2:50:12 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

This is my favorite recipe. The mint is very important and must be fresh. The parsley must be European not the chinese parsley which has no scent.
I also make flat bread on a griddle with flour and a pinch of salt and water.

HOMUS RECIPE
Chick Peas         I can (425gms)
Tahini            3 tablespoons (½ Cup)
Lemon            1
Garlic            3 cloves
Cumin            ½ teaspoon
Salt            ½ teaspoon
Olive Oil         3 tablespoons
Water
Mint            3-4 leaves chopped

Blend for 2 minutes

Parsley (chopped)
Cayenne
Olive Oil

Add a few mint leaves to a glass of hot sweet tea.
Edwin Lopez
« Reply #36 on: 04 September 2014, 13:23:22 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I went to Israel in 2006, the moment i arrived back in Singapore, I bought the chickpeas and some ingredients and made this humus. I loved it! Guess I I have to savor back the taste and buy it at cold storage.
pita bakery
« Reply #37 on: 04 January 2016, 18:07:18 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

pita bakery
29 Bali lane
the best Home made hummmus and fresh pita from the oven
purplerose

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 May 2018, 9:32:56 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hummus definitely has no mayonnaise, and almost certainly no butter either - I'd think butter would alter the taste and texture. The oil used is olive oil - I don't think one can get away with using any other, really.

The "creaminess" comes from the pureed cooked chickpeas - mash one up and you'll see that it becomes a thick puree. With the large white chickpeas, this becomes a creamy paste, enhanced with the olive oil. To my mind it is a healthy dip indeed.

Talking about this is making me hungry now!

I actually never tried hummus yet because all the while I was thinking that it has mayonnaise, lol. Now let me try it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: