Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 22 February 2017, 20:55:57 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Noise level at Condos  (Read 8526 times)
Noise-Y
« on: 26 December 2007, 10:46:45 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi all - wanted to know what the rules are in relation to noise created by neighbours - in my condo, one particualr neighbour invites over loud, drunk crowd and they play extremely loud music until 1-2AM as well as doing a BBQ - as my window is near the BBQ pit, this means that there is not even a chance (even with ear plugs) to get any sleep - quite annoying. BTW I requested them them to put down the music, they did for 5 minutes...and then it was back on....any advice on this?

SY
« Reply #1 on: 26 December 2007, 10:54:28 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You could try complaining to the condo management but I doubt if much can be done beyond a written notice your neighbours to keep the noise level down.

Sorry but I really don't understand people who rent apartments near BBQ pits / childrens' playgrounds and then complain about noise. What do they really think goes on at these areas of the condo? Quiet meditation?  Roll Eyes
Noise-Y
« Reply #2 on: 26 December 2007, 11:07:11 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

there is noise - and there is noise after midnight, I would think..

and there is also a level of noise - for example, playing very loud music (and I mean LOUD) after midnight, I think is unacceptable..

"Sorry but I really don't understand people who rent apartments near BBQ pits / childrens' playgrounds and then complain about noise. What do they really think goes on at these areas of the condo? Quiet meditation?" Huh??

so people who cannot afford condos where there is absolute serenity should suffer because of unconsiderate drunks at 1AM?
Eye for eye
« Reply #3 on: 26 December 2007, 12:50:34 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Such people are just inconsiderate a**holes, and these type of people can't be reasoned with to be more respectful. I suggest you get revenge. If they play loud music late at night, set your alarm and play music very early in the morning. Make as much noise as possible to ensure they get woken up, say at 5.30am, and keep them awake until at least lunchtime.
hate the noise
« Reply #4 on: 26 December 2007, 14:29:44 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The only way is to call up police! Most of the condo management won't do anything which might offended other residences. Call the police or NEA for noise pollution Grin
loudhailer
« Reply #5 on: 26 December 2007, 15:08:57 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

do call the police. and they will say there are no laws against noise pollution, it's a private condo, they can't do anything blah blah blah. that was what they said when I complained about a shop using a loud hailer. after like a dozen phone calls, i finally said since there are no laws against noise, i would go to the police station and yell at them with  a  loud hailer. not breaking any law, right? oh no, u mustn't do that, the policeman said. and why's that, i asked? is it because police stations or policemen have different laws from tax payers. i can't be sure if it was because of my threat but the noise stopped after that conversation.

actually, since in your case the noise is from within the condo, you might just go play loud music next to the security post or the management office if they refuse to help you.
wedfgt
« Reply #6 on: 26 December 2007, 15:22:42 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi all - wanted to know what the rules are in relation to noise created by neighbours - in my condo, one particualr neighbour invites over loud, drunk crowd and they play extremely loud music until 1-2AM as well as doing a BBQ - as my window is near the BBQ pit, this means that there is not even a chance (even with ear plugs) to get any sleep - quite annoying. BTW I requested them them to put down the music, they did for 5 minutes...and then it was back on....any advice on this?

Condo managements generally do not allow BBQs beyond a certain time. 1am for BBQ is way too late. The mgt in your condo is too lax.
10pm
« Reply #7 on: 27 December 2007, 15:22:44 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

10pm finish at common areas in all condos I've lived in.  Some management do not come and kick you out at 10pm on the dot, however if you consistently complain, the management may get tired of your complaining they may do something about it.
Confront them!!!
« Reply #8 on: 27 December 2007, 15:39:28 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Confront them!

Too many people are pussy foot’s here in Singapore, you’re not going to get too many people that are willing to go to the next step, and those who do couldn’t fight their way out of school yard let alone hurt you.

Only have to look at the SDF, very admirable what the government does with CMT, but they are all skinny or fat, PSP playing toy soldiers. I know if my country went to war I’d be pleased to know that some kick arse men and women would be taking up the cause. The Singaporean’s are too reliant on technology, which fails too often, and hand to hand combat they’re a lost cause. I’m sorry Singapore for picking on you, but you know its true….

OMG, for country that is made up 75% Chinese, you’d think we’d have a whole bunch of Jacky Chan’s around here, kicking arse!!!! I actually do martial arts here (not seriously advocating violence if you can’t tell by my sarcastic tones) but for all but a few locals, most of them are soft, very soft. Not like the people who I’ve trained with in Japan, Australia, China, and good forbid, oh no, nightmares come rushing back – New Zealand. Those Kiwi’s are some of the hardest, toughest nuts I’ve ever met, and after training, they are the loveliest people, but you just don’t want to ever mess with them.

Get it up them!!!! They started it not you….

OK maybe my advise is a little too racy for this forum and this country, and maybe its types like me that cause all the social problems in the western world, but hey f* em if they’re willing to be inconsiderate a* holes.

Have a good day, and if you need some help, me and my bro’s are more than happy to assist for dozen beer (the good stuff).
cando nothing
« Reply #9 on: 27 December 2007, 20:48:39 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You are wasting your time here.

Condo MC cant/wont do a thing and police wont get involved.  You are basically wasting your time.

We eventually moved house due to the karaoke mad family above us....the drone of chinese love ballads 24/7 drove us insane. They were a wealthy retired couple and did nothing except sing night and day into the early hours of the morning and they had a super powered home cinema thing with a mega sub woofer and all our lights & false ceiling used to vibrate when they were singing.

If you decide to take the law into your own hands you will end up in jail here so theres not a darn thing you can do.  The attitude here is 'its my unit and I paid a lot for it so I can do what I jolly well like in it' !!

As tempting as it is to 'sort it out' aussie style, you will always lose out to them.

Basically here you can just do what you want as far as making noise goes.

I wouldnt even advise talking to them about it as it will only delight them to know that it is making life difficult for you and the fact you are an expat will not help.

Just a very inconsiderate bunch of people.   

We moved back into an HDb and found teh neighbours to be much better/quieter than our condo.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: