Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 03 September 2014, 12:34:51 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: buttermilk  (Read 19037 times)
pancakes
« on: 28 December 2007, 22:07:38 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

where can i get buttermilk from? Does cold storage sell them,if so which one?
ExpatSingapore Message Board
« on: 28 December 2007, 22:07:38 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Cold storage
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2007, 16:12:35 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've found buttermilk at most Cold Storage or Jason's or Marketplace shops. Definitely at Tanglin and Paragon, but usually also at Centrepoint or Novena. I've seen it at Carrefour, too.
Mom of 4 year old
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2007, 14:37:48 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

There are many times that you may be making a recipe and realize that it calls for buttermilk.  If you don’t use it on a regular basis, chances are that you don’t have it in the fridge.  Here is how to make your own buttermilk and it’s fast and easy!

Per one cup of buttermilk do the following:

1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
Mikron

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2010, 2:14:25 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

There are many times that you may be making a recipe and realize that it calls for buttermilk.  If you don’t use it on a regular basis, chances are that you don’t have it in the fridge.  Here is how to make your own buttermilk and it’s fast and easy!

1 cup milk

Smiley :)Thanks for the recipe
 Cool
« Last Edit: 21 April 2010, 6:24:58 AM by BoardManager » Logged
To a four year old
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2010, 7:35:34 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

There are many times that you may be making a recipe and realize that it calls for buttermilk.  If you don’t use it on a regular basis, chances are that you don’t have it in the fridge.  Here is how to make your own buttermilk and it’s fast and easy!

1 cup milk

This works (since when does being the mother of a four year old make you an expert cook?). To the rest of us who have working taste buds, it's not even close.

Chef Robo
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2010, 10:57:22 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

1 cup milk

This works (since when does being the mother of a four year old make you an expert cook?). To the rest of us who have working taste buds, it's not even close.

It depends what you're making I suppose.  I've always had trouble making Yorkshire puddings because they didn't rise well, then I saw a tip from a chef who said his grandmother always added a tablespoon of vinegar to the egg, flour and milk mixture so I tried it and it worked, they rose really well...........so perhaps that is what the buttermilk does - makes it rise better.  I'm not sure how that would work in a sweet dish, but that could be why the PP says vinegar or lemon juice (vinegar for savoury, lemon for sweet)
jalanperak

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2010, 11:28:20 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

1 cup milk

It depends what you're making I suppose.  I've always had trouble making Yorkshire puddings because they didn't rise well, then I saw a tip from a chef who said his grandmother always added a tablespoon of vinegar to the egg, flour and milk mixture so I tried it and it worked, they rose really well...........so perhaps that is what the buttermilk does - makes it rise better.  I'm not sure how that would work in a sweet dish, but that could be why the PP says vinegar or lemon juice (vinegar for savoury, lemon for sweet)

Buttermilk adds flavor and acidity. If all you need is the acidity (i.e., to interact with baking soda, or to help old baking powder activate), then vinegar or lemon juice are OK substitutes. If you're looking for the flavor, such as in buttermilk pancakes or southern fried chicken, then acidulated milk is a poor substitute.

As an aside, buttermilk freezes very well. When I find it at one of the above mentioned stores (it's hit or miss), I usually buy three or four 1 liter cartons, and freeze what I don't use.

suz888

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2010, 15:06:32 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Dairy farmers is a brand of Buttermilk which I have used and its great.
You can purchase it from all supermarkets in Singapore. ;-)
JRG

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2010, 20:02:57 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Here is a great recipe for pancakes using buttermilk.

2 eggs
1 tablespoon caster sugar
25 g melted butter
3/4 cup self raising flour
3/4 cup buttermilk

beat eggs, sugar and melted butter together. Then add the self raising flour and buttermilk.

this is a favourite with my family.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: