Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 02 October 2014, 12:21:55 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Home leave for maid - what paperwork is required?  (Read 26793 times)
Me2
« on: 29 January 2008, 20:57:27 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi

Just spent 30 mins reading the posts on this topic from Oct 2007.

Can anyone please update me with the latest info?

I am sending our maid back to Philippines on home leave for 3 weeks. She has been employed by us for 22 months. She must go when she's leaving (i.e. she cannot wait for 24 months). She will then come back and continue to work for us.

Agency has quoted me S$280. I am happy to do the paperwork myself if someone can tell me what I have to do.

Reading the posts from last year, some maids were travelling home and "doing the paperwork" back in the Philippines. The employer simply provided the return ticket.

Others mentioned a new employement contract had to be signed with a min. wage of US$400 (S$600)Huh Is this still correct?

Any relevant advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
ExpatSingapore Message Board
« on: 29 January 2008, 20:57:27 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

MOM Revisited
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2008, 21:55:04 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

'Agency has quoted me S$280. I am happy to do the paperwork myself if someone can tell me what I have to do.'

Prob asking here instead of MOM or other legal source is a bit airheaded?  
agency
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2008, 22:07:42 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You need to get it done via the agency, there is no getting out of it.  You cannot do the paperwork yourself unless the maid has been working for you for 2 years then you can download a contract from Phil Embassy website. 

Even though you have a contract between yourself and your maid you need to get another contract from agency and this needs to be authenticated by the Phil Embassy. (Just another excuse to get more money out of you).  They will state on this contract that you are paying her US$400 per month and they will tell you it is not valid and that the Phil Embassy will not not authenticate it unless this amount is stated.  So if you do not agree to it your maid will not be issued with paperwork to leave Singapore.  You also need to pay for a Identification Document stating who she is (again another reason to get more money out of you) as if her work permit and passport isn't enough.  Once all of this is done (it should not take more than a week for the agency to do it) then it will cost just $6.00 for her exit pass.  You just need to advise your maid that the contract you have with her is the valid one and not the one you are signing with the Phil Embassy.

$280 is a fairly good price.  I sent my maid home late last year and rang around quite a few agencies and spoke to the Phil Embassy on numerous occasions and was told over and over again that I must go through an agency.  I transferred my own maid over when I arrived here and saved heaps of money but they still get you in the end.

Good Luck.
That's right
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2008, 22:19:51 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The pp is correct.  There is no other way other than going through the agency.  It does make me angry that the Phil embassy are such money sucking criminals, but there is no way around it.

The price you have been quoted is a good one.  My agency charged me well over $350.

Just pay the money, and at least you know that it is all organised.
Criminals
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2008, 22:36:54 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yep OP, you have to go through an agency as your maid has been with you for less than 2 yrs.  I did this just a few months ago. The cheapest agency I found was in lucky plaza - $220.  If I post the name here im sure it will be deleted so shop around on LP, 4th floor.
Not true
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2008, 8:26:31 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

To OP... you can do the paperwork yourself, if you don't mind the hassle.  You can print the standard employment contract from the Philippine Embassy's website. You and the maid must sign it.  You must also buy a performance bond from NTUC Income (this can be done over the phone or on the net).   I had to do this for my maid and she'd only been with me for about 19 months.
agency
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2008, 8:41:40 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You must still pay for the contract to get 'authenticated' and for her green 'identification document' that is if you are wanting to send her home.  If you do not want to send her home then that is another matter.

just done that
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2008, 10:28:36 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

My maid has been with me for more than two years, and she was convinced that she could the exit pass in the Philippinnes. It was also cheaper.

We signed a standard contract that I downloaded from the Phili embassy website, but they demanded a 7,000 dollars bond document, and the agency that has just renewed our contract gave us a 5,000 dollars bond, which is what the Sing gvt requires.
Long story short, my maid went back home and tried to get the pass to no avail. She was told the situation is now much stricter - it's all part of the plan to get more money from these poor girls or their employers, i.e. us.

In the end I had to go back to the agency, which in turn did all the papers - for about 240 dlrs. It's really almost all the fees requested by Phili embassy, plus the 20 dollars or so fee for the agency. I think the fee is worth for the hassle and the trip.
This agency is in Tanglin Shopping Center and is one of the certified agencies (by the embassy.)

ours just did it
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2008, 12:39:35 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Just as a bit of info, our maid just went home for Christmas, and I was worried about the new stricter rules etc as she has always done the paperwork back home before(our maid has been working with us for longer than 2 years) so I asked her about it this time.  As usual she just said, don't worry I will do it back home again. She did the bits she had to do here at the embassy, and she did the rest back home and now she is back here again. So they can still do it back in the Philippines, they just have to know what to do and where to go.  I think an experience long term maid will know the ways of doing it but with a younger girl who has no experience it would be better to do it through an agency, at least then you know it is all in order.
to ours just did it...
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2008, 18:03:26 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Are you able to tell me what it cost you all up? My maid has been here for nearly 15 years but if the $ savings aren't there, then I'll pay the agency.... (another poster "just done that" implied the agency only gets $20 for the hassle and the rest is fees you have to pay anyway - embassy etc).

Many thanks everyone. Much quicker, easier and more reliable than MOM.

bubble9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 January 2008, 20:44:23 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Can't remember how much it cost in total to do the paperwork myself, but one thing you ought to know is that if you don't go through an 'accredited' maid agency, the performance bond you buy has to be for $7,000, rather than $2,000, which will cost you an extra $30 or $40 dollars.  FYI, the performance bond is demanded by the Philippine Embassy to ensure that you adhere to the terms of the standard contract. 
to ours just did it
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2008, 21:06:17 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

My maid is very experienced, mature woman, and she tried to get the exit pass in Manila (where she's from) and even traveled to a province where she hoped they would not be so strict... without success.

The message she got is that by the new rules everything has to be done by the embassy. As I said, we did have a standard contract, and my maid bought a new OWWA membership, but the stumbling block was the 7000 dollar bond which we didn't have.

To OP: to be completely sure, I would do everything here. The exit pass itself costs 5 dollars both here in the embassy and in the PHilippinnes. The problem is to get the pass, you have to have all the documents above.
Me2
« Reply #12 on: 31 January 2008, 13:18:41 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thank you very much. I'll do the paperwork here.

Thanks again for the up-to-date info. Smiley
ours just did it
« Reply #13 on: 31 January 2008, 22:09:18 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

In answer to the question about the cost, it does work out pretty much the same, probably only about $20 - 30 cheaper than through an agency.  She did it that way because she has done it that way all along and hates agencies with a passion (we also brought her here with as little involvement with agencies as possible). It really is her preference.

In answer to the other part about the embassy etc, well our maid did go to the embassy to get all the paperwork etc and did it all. funny thing was we only have $5000 bond but it caused no problems, once again I was worried about that part too.  Who knows?  Perhaps if it was at the end of her contract and not in the middle it may make a difference. 

takin for a ride...
« Reply #14 on: 02 February 2008, 13:49:06 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Our maid of only 1.5 years went home at xmas and it only cost me $6 for her exit pass. She obtained the exit pass from the Phillipine Embassy in Singapore before leaving. The paperwork can be completed by her and your maid just needs to present a few documents. One of which is a phillipine Embassy stamped contract which we obtained from our agency as part of a passport renewal application. At the time of the passport renewal application we were quoted $70 only for the contract mentioned and of course we reatined this for future use.

As far as a security bond is concerned you would have already paid this amount or a small dollar sum if you used an insurance company as a letter of guarantee, so there is no need to get this again unless it has expired.

I agree with previous posts that it is disgusting that everyone is out to get whatever buck extra they can. Therefore you should always investigate every detail when you take up a maid so you don't get taken for an expensive ride.
Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: