Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 22 November 2017, 13:29:17 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Question on Johor  (Read 4192 times)
Wondering
« on: 22 February 2001, 14:18:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Where is johor?
How to get there? (best way, no car)
What's there to see and avoid?

Thanks

Sandi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2001, 14:49:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The cheapest is to take Mrt to Kranji and then board the 170 bus (Can ride from Rochor Rd/Bukit Timah but it is non ac and tends to get crowded on the weekends).  Get off at the first stop over the bridge don't go to Larkin Terminal.  Be sure not to miss the Istana and the quirky museum esp the trophy room.  Different era.  Central Mall (?)is good for mall shopping.  Jaro has the photo albums, batik, and some baskets made by handicapped.  Holiday Plaza is supposed to have VCDs but I didn't see them.  Baskin Robbins and Dunkin donuts for some reason have not made it into singapore.
ACEMAN
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2001, 14:55:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Johor: 5 mins from Woodlands ( travel North )

(From B.Mgr to Aceman : Please exercise greater consideration, even restraint, in your posts. Your post here and the last one on service are bothering on racist and politically sensitive grounds. Thanks.)

[This message has been edited by BoardManager (edited 22-02-2001).]

Wondering
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2001, 19:56:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Sorry to be picky...but is there an Airconditioned bus?

Batik, picture frames??? I can buy those here too right?  

Why go there?  Any thing special?  Price is incredible lower?  Or just a good experience?

Sue

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2001, 21:20:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You can buy almost anything here. The main reason to go to Johor is not really for the shopping but because it is much more like the real asia rather than cleancut sterile Singapore.
The streets are crowded, the motorbikes use the footpath( loosely described) as the road and carpark, the food is great, the sights and smells are soo different, and you may be able to pick up a bargain or at least the copy of the real thing.... It is an experience well worth the day and the $2.50 on the bus. Dont forget the passport, a pen ( to fill out the forms) and the right change for the bus.
Lily Aritama
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2001, 8:56:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Johor Baru? I love going there but like visiting any other country for the very first time, be careful you do not stray off the beaten track. This is true of Chicago and Johor Baru too.

I even took my out of town visitors there too - a couple from the Philippines (member of ASEAN) and a couple from Myanmar (maybe at that time not member of ASEAN). The Filipino couple had no problem going through. But one half of the Myanmar couple was turned.

So you would do well to find out first whether you would need a visa.

If you want to do a little shopping, go to Pelangi Plaza or the Sentosa area. Pelangi is more up market, Sentosa is cheaper but not so glitzy. They are little further from the city centre, but taxi costs even less than Singapore. But be sure you have an understanding with the cabbie --- use the meter, please. If the cabbie insists on a flat charge, it should not be more than 10 Malaysian Ringgit (equal to SID 4.50).

For food, there are so many restaurants you can see from the main road. But the side roads flanking Pelangi have many shops.

Of course everything is cheap there. But remember to check the price. You will clearly be seen to be a tourist. If you like sea food, remember they charge you by weight, eg: 100 grams of grouper may cost you 10 ringgit, price depends on location.

As an indicator of how cheap things can be, a litre of high-octane gas costs a shade under $1.45. For the same money you can get probably more than twice as much. (Haven't been there for a couple of years, mainly because it takes so much time to clear customs and immigration. But if you go by public transportation, it might be different.

And don't forget, you can also go and return by train. If you take the train you will be taken all the way to Holiday Plaza, which is a magnet to Singaporeans. There is also a train terminal in the city itself, just a stone's throw from Immigration. If you are in town and want to return to Singapore, a train ride home might be fun.

However, the trains stops at Tanjong Pagar, a little way from city centre Singapore.

Mita

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2001, 12:02:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi Wondering
If u want an air conditioned option, take the Singapore Johor Express from the Queens Street bus terminal....ask any cabbie- they'll take  you there.Costs $2.50 and takes abt 45 mts to get to Johor.
kat
« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2001, 13:34:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Take a 1 hour boat ride from Singapore (not quite sure which port - we drove and it was a nightmare!) to a place called Kukup on the SW corner of JB.  It is a village built on stilts over the sea and apparently popular with Singaporeans looking for a taste of past times.  You can have an excellent meal on one of the jetties (1/3 price of Singapore) after taking a boat out to the floating fish farms and seeing jellyfish, turtles, etc etc.  It's a good day out and a bit more interesting than the air-con malls and pirate VCDs most people go to JB for.
evehow
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2001, 14:25:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

JB is heavenly for food (as a break from the mass produced food here in Singapore!) and some shopping, but otherwise I'm not exactly crazy over the place.  Oh well.

If you have no car and want aircon Johor Express (as someone else pointed out) is the way.  Another is to book a cab to go into JB but that costs a bomb - not advisable.

Eating - I've not been there for food but from what I heard, if you go to the "right" places, the food is quite good.  However, be careful abt hygiene.  If you're already "immunised" (from frequent travels, if you know what I mean) then roadside food shouldn't be a problem.  Just keep your eyes open.

As for shopping, others have mentioned some places but the problem I find with a lot of shopping centres in Malaysia is a number of them only have half their shops leased out, i.e. the complex is almost half empty!  But I do not know how it's like with places like Pelangi.  Anyway Pelangi is quite established so it should be okay.

Is Kotaraya still open?

Anyway AVOID Holiday Plaza like the plague!  According to a friend who just visited the place, it reminded her of our Lucky Plaza before renovation!

Have fun!

evehow
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2001, 14:31:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Sorry.

In response to your question, "where is Johor," Johor is the southernmost state of Peninsular Malaysia.  What most of us have been talking abt is Johor Bahru (JB), which is I think the city (ahem) of Johor.

So JB is in Johor but Johor is not JB.  Understand?  

C

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 March 2001, 16:30:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Baskin Robins??? Did someone suggest there is a Baskin Robins in JB? Please tell me where. I can feel my life regaining its meaning already.
like the idea
« Reply #11 on: 01 March 2001, 17:03:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The fishing village sounds interesting. Anyone know which port the boat leaves from also what is the fare?
Wondering
« Reply #12 on: 01 March 2001, 22:40:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks guys (and/or gals)...I think I might try to...
go there this Saturday...

Thanks for all the good feedback (esp. to the one who answered "where is Johor"

Chichi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 March 2001, 4:41:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Train?  Is there a train that brings you to Holiday plaza?
Is that the mrt?  You mean they built it so fast?
I've only been out of singapore for one month and.... wow......
Chichi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 March 2001, 4:45:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Just to complete the answer to "where is Johor"

Johor is the southern-most state of Peninsular Malaysia.  And Johor Bharu (JB) is the capital of Johor, which is right by the border of Johor-Singapore.

Anybody knows if JB's been given the status of "city" yet?Huh
The last I know, it was just KL, Penang and Kuching.....(ngat sayot... yeah!!!!)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: