Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 22 July 2014, 22:51:59 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Best Singapore credit card for airmiles.  (Read 9074 times)
cmdsea

View Profile
« on: 04 May 2008, 13:39:11 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yes, I know this topic has been done to death previously but I have just received a letter from Citibank telling me the Cathay Pacific VISA is being discontinued at the end of the month.

I am gutted. This card was earning 1 asiamile per US$1 and double for overseas spending... Enough for a freebie Club World trip to the UK once a year..  Cry

Anyway I am now looking around for a replacement, i am not interested in AMEX (previous bad experience and sworn off them for life). The DBS cards seem to offer a somewhat underwhelming 1 Krisflyer mile per S$2.50 spent. Anyone know of any better deals out there..??
ExpatSingapore Message Board
« on: 04 May 2008, 13:39:11 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Mr Porky
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2008, 16:47:02 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I know you have a problem with Amex but if you are ok using them through DBS the Altitude DBS card gives you 1 Asia mile for every 83 cents spent on the card.

The absolute best way to accrue miles though is by using the Amex platinum credit/charge card at the 10 points places. Works out at approx 1 asia mile for every 25 cents spent.

This would mean putting your petty grudge behind you of course.
Even...
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2008, 18:57:57 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

though Citibank is withdrawing their CX card they should replace it with their own Platinum card, though mine was issued in HK. I already received my replacement. Number and all detail remains unchanged from your old card and any spending made is automatically "transferred" from one to the other but since the number is the same the only change itself is loosing "CX"

From what HK told me they are running a promotion for a few months with as good or better rate of exchange to miles than the CX card but i still need to check this one.
luv my
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2008, 20:07:25 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Amex Platinum. You should reconsider. We've never had a problem but then we put everything on the card and are big spenders. Each year I've taken family home on points alone.
Fees
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2008, 20:26:46 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Just a quick aside - those of you who have Amex Platinum, do you pay the annual fees or do you "persuade" Amex to waive these as other cards (Mastercard, Visa) are persuaded to as well?
Mr Porky
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2008, 21:17:15 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have three Amex cards and dont pay the fees. Threaten to cancel the card because you dont want to pay them and they will waive them. If they don't cancel anyway out of principal.
mileage addict
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2008, 9:39:16 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Try the Citibank Premier Miles card.  1.2 miles for each S$1 spent.  Miles don't expire but there's a nominal charge when you transfer your Citibank miles to Airline miles.  Choice of three airlines: SQ, CX, NW (thereby covering all 3 major alliances).
cmdsea

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2008, 14:35:58 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Oops. Thanks for the replies but looks like I jumped the gun. Today's mail includes a letter for the aforementioned Citi Premiermiles VISA as a replacement.

As previous poster mentioned, 1.2 citimiles per S$1. One citimile can be converted to 1 Krisflyer mile (So 83cents/airmile = good) or 0.4 Asiamiles (S$2.08/airmaile = not so good (in fact its crap) but could be useful to top off asiamiles account to a useful redemption level i guess..)

Along with an opening bonus of 10,000 citimiles and ongoing annual bonus of up to 20,000 citimiles (remains to be seen if they will waive the annual fee of S$180 and still give the bonus miles but at 9cents/mile probably still worth having) im sold and will give it a go... :-)

mr p
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2008, 15:15:26 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

mr porky the type of guy who thinks that having alot of credit cards makes him look rich...sad very sad
Fees
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2008, 21:04:57 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I appreciated Mr Porky's answer, thanks!
well yes but?
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2008, 21:10:50 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have three Amex cards and dont pay the fees. Threaten to cancel the card because you dont want to pay them and they will waive them. If they don't cancel anyway out of principal.

Which ones did you get it waived on.  Krisflyer, PPS, platinum credit, platinum charge card, centurion.

I expect some are more negotiable than others.
Mr Porky
« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2008, 9:54:29 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Which ones did you get it waived on. 

All of them.

I have a gold charge card, platinum credit card and a corporate card. The fees for a platinum charge card are steep and when I got the invite I was told I had to pay the fees so i declined.

Which is silly really as according to the previous who said I have lots of credit cards to make me look rich, I would have looked richer with a platinum charge card instead of a plain old gold card. Even though the pleb assumed I had more than one credit card.
well yes but?
« Reply #12 on: 06 May 2008, 10:22:53 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for the response.

It appears though I was likely right from your experience as well, some more negotiable than others.  I doubt the platinum and centurion charge card holders are getting many fees waived.  Like anything else this may well depend on how much you spend but I expect it would need to be rather a lot.....
Mr Porky
« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2008, 10:33:57 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Oops, I forgot I also have a krisflyer card I just use for booking SQ flights online. Also get the fee waived on that one as well.

Guess I do have lots of cards to make myself look rich after all!
wonder1
« Reply #14 on: 06 May 2008, 11:19:53 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

why Mr Porky dosent register...
Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: