Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 27 November 2014, 7:58:31 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: IB results  (Read 9920 times)
student's parent
« on: 14 July 2008, 11:25:37 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The IB results have just been released. I have a daughter who studied at UWC. She tells me that many of the students, particulalry those who thought that they were at the higher ned, in fact received grades lower than their predicted grades. My daughter was one point off her predicted grade but she learned of many who were 3-6 points off where they expected to be.

Be curious to get some feedback on this particularly from other IB schools in Singapore. I have a 9 year old and not sure whether to put him in UWC or not.

sa mom
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2008, 13:03:57 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

OMG.

You are wondering about the school just because the IB results were off by a few points? What about the overall experience your daughter got at school? Surely you can't write off a school just by results from one exam and just one time at that! Unless you have other/more reasons to be unhappy with the school... it seems just a bit drastic to me.
It seems
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2008, 13:23:10 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

that the IB  results are way off in many schools, not just UWC this year.  I know of several students in different countries that are having papers remarked, but I doubt it will make a difference as it seems world wide.
to sa mum
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2008, 13:30:53 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am not sure how familiar you are with the IB but the exams the OP is talking about are the final exams and the results are the ones that get you in to the university of your choice or not. So for a student who has worked hard for 2 years, to miss their place at uni because of one point can be heart-breaking. We were in that  situation last year so I feel for anyone who is in the smae boat, especially if the difference is 3 or more points.
say again?
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2008, 13:33:12 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Why is it " their place at uni "?  If someone gets better grades, then it belongs to that other person right?
eggs
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2008, 13:54:39 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

predicted grades do not mean that is what they will get.  There has to be application from the student to achieve the result.

don't count your chickens
sa mom
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2008, 14:02:04 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I do understand that it is really THE exam for IB and is an absolutely critical situ for the OP's daughter and others in the same boat. I wish them well and hope that if the grades were lower than  predicted all over the place, then may be the deflation may not have too bad an impact on the Uni placements. ? ??

I was only reacting to the OP's comment on whether to send her second child to UWC or not based on just one IB results.

Student's parent
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2008, 15:16:29 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Apologies if I was not very clear in my OP. What I am trying to discern is whether the lower than expected results are consistent across all IB schools or unique to UWC.

The reason I ask this is that after having a studnet in the IB program I have heard so much PR from the school about how well they do in IB compared to other schools both in Singapore and abroad. I have always been a bit suspicious of this PR and have had my moments when I question some of the attitudes and philosophies at UWC. My IB student at UWC did not particularly enjoy her time at school, particularly in the last year.... not because of work load but because of other factors which I ma not going to post here. By comparison my other child of 9 seems to be very happy at his current school so I wonder if it is worth moving him to UWC as we had planned to do. If UWC consistently did way better than other schools in Singapore in IB results, then this would have to be a consideration, however if they are all much of the same, or if UWC was a worse performer, then it would not be a consideration.

I think it is relatively common for parents to want to get their chidren into good schools. The most typical way in which to evaluate a school is to look at their exam results.
lost it
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2008, 15:20:20 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I thought UWC lost it's IB accreditation for the high school level?
teachey
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2008, 16:11:30 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

would be interested to find out if UWC had lost its accreditation, though I doubt it as it is a well funded and financed school, probably just a rumour. 
Tanglin
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2008, 16:14:09 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am not sure about the situation as per this year. I would get the results from other IB schools and draw your own conclusions.

I personally don't rate the IB and A'level results here at the international schools. They simply do not compare to the best independent schools in the UK.

They are generally on a par with a good UK state school. This is ok and fine if you were planning on a state education in the UK or similar elsewhere but disappointing if not.

As an aside I heard today that the plan is for Tanglin to go over to IGCSE and IB in time. The plan apparently is to eventually scrap GSCE and A'levels there.
To Tanglin
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2008, 17:05:02 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The IB is International and therefore marked and judged worldwide - not just on international schools in Singapore.

As to your A level comments - I totally agree.

Whlst I am at it:

To lost it - you most certainly have!!!  You will have to do better than that to start a panic.
lost it
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2008, 17:14:40 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Not trying to 'start a panic,' just asking as I heard it a couple of months ago.
gofor
« Reply #13 on: 14 July 2008, 17:28:43 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Not sure about the other schools in Singapore but I think UWC takes a pretty harsh, possibly elitist approach to those that they select into their IB program. I am aware of two UWC studnets who were told they were not good enough to get into the UWC program so had to go to one of the other International Schools and both did very well, one got 34 and the other 36. Have also read in the ST (so take with a pinch of salt) that the new ACS private did the best in IB.
Sa mom
« Reply #14 on: 14 July 2008, 18:09:49 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Is ACS international a secondary school?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: