Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 30 August 2014, 22:28:36 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: 1 [2]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: international school with lowest fees  (Read 4269 times)
Einstein's pencil
« Reply #15 on: 28 January 2009, 14:09:53 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You get what you pay for!

Sorry, but fancy choosing a school because it is the cheapest option ...  Guess that's why you are paying yourself.

I don't think "you get what you pay for" applies to education.  While it is certainly an advantage in life to attend expensive schools, I think studies have shown there is very little correlation between school fees and knowledge obtained.

Very true, to say 'you get what you pay for', just shows that person to be one of those snobby people who think that money can buy anything.

To say that 'despite how much money you put into education, ultimately a child will find their own path in life' is probably more accurate.
ExpatSingapore Message Board
« Reply #15 on: 28 January 2009, 14:09:53 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Not Snobby
« Reply #16 on: 28 January 2009, 18:18:59 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am merely saying that I would not choose a school simply because it is the cheapest option.  Oh lets choose that school, it is the cheapest, never mind the fact that it has no facilities, the teaching staff are sub standard and the kids are chained to their desks all day long.  However, you are right, money does tend to buy many things, you would find it quite a struggle in life without, so I completely agree with you on that one!

Wow, some folk on here are just out for the fight.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2009, 1:20:34 AM by BoardAdmin3 » Logged
strange days
« Reply #17 on: 28 January 2009, 23:39:25 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

never mind the fact that it has no facilities, the teaching staff are sub standard and the kids are chained to their desks all day long.

I can't say I've ever come across a fee paying school that quite fits into this little niche.  In fact, I haven't come across many free schools which fit into it either. 

Does this put me into your penetration with a foreign object bracket?  Nice one, glad about that  Roll Eyes
not a windup
« Reply #18 on: 29 January 2009, 10:42:11 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am merely saying that I would not choose a school simply because it is the cheapest option.  Oh lets choose that school, it is the cheapest, never mind the fact that it has no facilities, the teaching staff are sub standard and the kids are chained to their desks all day long.  However, you are right, money does tend to buy many things, you would find it quite a struggle in life without, so I completely agree with you on that one!

Wow, some folk on here are just out for the fight.

On the other hand I would be cautious of any school that is run as a business first and educational facility second, which most "international schools" are.  I've seen plenty of "sub-standard" international schools because the administrators were more concerned with lining their pockets than educating kids.  Definitely there are good ones out there, but "you get what you pay for" is nowhere near the truth.
Choice?
« Reply #19 on: 29 January 2009, 17:22:44 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Would you choose medical care because it is the cheapest option?  I don't think so.  Why would you choose education because it is the cheapest option.  Surely many things come into play and you would look at the all round package from schools and choose the one which suits your needs the most without having to compromise everything just because of the costs involved.    Sure, money does come into it, but it is not the one decision maker really is it?
pauper
« Reply #20 on: 29 January 2009, 17:54:28 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I look around (medical, schools, dental, whatever), but ultimately choose the best of the cheapest.  I simply can't afford to do otherwise.
10 months
« Reply #21 on: 29 January 2009, 20:29:52 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

get a grip people. the OP was just looking for something for 10 months!

i would suggest you look into local schools. that would make your kids' singapore experience a bit deeper, with more exposure to the locals and local customs. afterall, i'm sure that's one of the reasons you brought the kids here-- to experience singapore.
old mum
« Reply #22 on: 29 January 2009, 21:01:42 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

without wanting to get into the local v international schools debate, and many neighbourhood schools are not all about hot-housing and do give the kids a good learning experience, when local kids start school at your daughter's age, they will already have done reading and number work and will speak english, apart from the very small number who haven't attended local kindy. They usually join a catch-up program. If you are from somewhere in europe where these skills don't start until around 7, and your daughter is just learning english, she might find it pretty hard.
karpai

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 January 2009, 9:25:07 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thank you for your amble replies. I've been checking these international schools. I didn't get answer by e-mail from all of them though. There seems to be some variations in their fees, anyhow all of them are over our budget - I'm afraid. Some help might give the proportional fee structure for our short period here, so let's see, I'm waiting to hear the total cost from some schools. I will start to go through the possibility of going into a local school now. Our daughter speaks English quite well after going to an English playschool back home. I've understood that getting into the local schools is not easy? Well, that's a subject to a new survey... If anyone of us has any suggestions of a local school near Bukit Timah Road, I would be really happy to hear them. Thank you again for your time!
maps
« Reply #24 on: 30 January 2009, 10:50:21 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

bukit timah is a long road. have a look at the moe webpage. they have the schools listed according to districts (you could be in district 19 or 21 i think).

getting into a local school is easy, provided they have slots free. the mmoe should also be able to help you there. give them a call, their phone operators are very helpful.
CLue in the name
« Reply #25 on: 31 January 2009, 19:30:07 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

SJI International is not local and not free....stop trying to plug your school
Confuse d
« Reply #26 on: 31 January 2009, 23:16:56 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

SJI International is not local and not free....stop trying to plug your school

I reread the thread and couldn't find any post stating that SJI International is only for local kids and is free. Not sure what you're referring to.

confuse d? not surprised!
« Reply #27 on: 31 January 2009, 23:36:12 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The post CLue in the name was responding to has been removed, hence your confusion.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: