Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 23 May 2018, 17:23:39 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: How to travel by taxi with a baby?  (Read 8612 times)
Dad to be
« on: 24 October 2006, 12:30:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

We are just about to have our first baby. We don't have a car, and catch taxis a lot My question is: how do people safely transport their babies in taxis here? I've heard some people speak about portable seats which detach from prams - we have bought one of those nice modern prams, but its seat does not detach. We also have one of those Baby Bjorn Borg sling things, but is that a very safe way to carry the little one in a cab? Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Caligirl

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2006, 13:33:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi Dad To Be:

Congrats on the impending arrival of your baby!

A few things you can do:

1) You can buy a pram all-in-one system that includes both a pram and the corresponding infant car seat (sometimes called a "baby capsule.") Examples of brands available here would include Graco and Peg Perego. The baby capsule piece can be secured in a taxi via a seat belt (facing backwards in the backseat until the child is 1 year old) and the pram can be folded into the trunk/boot of the taxi. These baby capsules are quite sturdy & they pop in and out of the pram quite easily.

Bonus of this system is that you can transport a sleeping baby comfortably, without having to wake him/her from slumper.

2) If you know anyone who is going over to the U.S, you can ask them to buy you a Kolcraft "Universal Car Seat base." They run about SGD $65. This universal base will hold essentially any infant car seat/capsule. The base is very lightweight, folds with one hand, yet together with the capsule, creates a fantastic transport system.

3) When your child has outgrown the capsule, you can consider something like the Sit & Stroll (a car seat that has wheels that pop out & becomes a stroller) or after he/she turns 1, you can think about one of the lightweight travel harnasses like the Joey Safe or Tote 'N Go.

If you head over to the mums, dads & juniors board, you will likely find some threads on this in the archives. But my top advice would be to buy a pram/stroller that comes with a detachable baby capsule. You can buy them either new or gently used at one of the many used baby gear dealers here. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions. We moved here carless & with a newborn, so I am quite sensitive to your plight!

[This message has been edited by Caligirl (edited 24-10-2006).]

Kiwi 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2006, 14:37:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Calli girls advice is spot on. I just wanted to say please don't use the baby bjorn in a car. If you do a quick check on the net you will find that they are extremely unsafe. Basically in a sudden stop situation the baby will arc up and its head will impact yours. Most likely this would seriously injure both of you- if not worse. I know I really should mind my own business but I quietly have a little freak out every time I see a mum in the taxi queue with one on. (I have manged to restrain myself from commenting though!!! - but in this case you asked.)
Dad x 2
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2006, 15:47:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The advice you have received so far is good, although I recall that keeping newborns in carseats affixed to strollers for long periods of time is sub optimal.

Juggling a standalone car seat plus a proper stroller can get comic, especially once you reach your destination and are out without the spouse. A few places will allow you to check in your car seat (e.g., Takashimaya), but many places won't.

At the end of the day, you will want to 1) get a car or 2) live near enought to an MRT so you're never tempted to take taxis.

To be sure, it's tempting not to secure your kid properly in a taxi, but once you think hard about that, you won't do it.

Dad to be
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2006, 16:31:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks everyone, for your good advice.
You can buy
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2006, 20:12:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The Kolcraft Universal Seat Carrier is sold by Kids Mall, MMM. At least I bought one there 2 years ago. Worked brilliantly for me.
spigot
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2006, 0:02:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

we used 'sit & stroll' for about 1.5 yrs - excellent piece if kit. Can get from a shop that sounds like "other-care"

The little bugger got too heavy after that, so we got a car.

Good luck

S

Buy a car
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2006, 9:32:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi. Sorry to change the subject a bit, but why not buy a car? With the amount of money you spend on taxis you might actually save money on a monthly basis, you waste a lot less time waiting around and are much less often late, you can visit malaysia and will see much more of singapore, you have freedom and your child will be a lot safer. They're not as expensive as you think, especially a couple of years old small compact car.
Look into it, I am not on expat package, we just had a baby and I am VERY glad we bought the car.

Good luck and enjoy being a father - it's a wonderful experience and I hope everything goes well with the birth.

I'm a bloke by the way ;-)

torakun

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2006, 10:22:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I was wondering the same, wether it's worth getting a car.
Any advice on where and how much you got your car for?

thanks

pram queen
« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2006, 11:53:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

when we arrived 2 years ago with a newborn and a toddler we bought 2 prams  - a good 3 wheeler walker with double seats for both children and a travel system to use in cabs for baby.  Still using both to this day and the $1500 investment has been well worth it.  it may seem extravagent to purchase 2 good quality prams however if you sit down and really work out what you need (or look for 2nd hand) it will still be cheaper than buying a car, if you really don't need a car other than just to transport one baby around.
to pram queen
« Reply #10 on: 25 October 2006, 12:14:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I'm not sure anyone actually used the word 'need' in reference to a car, but what a few people did point out was that having your own car with proper car seats installed in it really is the one and only safest way to travel by car in Singapore or elsewhere. If you are talking about walking or maybe using the MRT, that's different. However, I wouldn't like to see you try and get that three-wheeled double stroller down an escalator to the MRT   I know I've never been willing to try it with mine.

Can't figure out why people who have chosen not to spend money on a car feel the need to try and convince others to do the same (not spend money on a car). Honestly, why do you care whether others buy a car or not?? If someone decides a car is right for them, so be it.

Getting a car
« Reply #11 on: 25 October 2006, 13:20:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It's a good idea - check the used cars in the straits times classifieds on saturday or get a new car on finance if you are planning a 10 year stay. Get some advice from others you know personally who have done the same on the same budget and find out how well they have managed.
To 'to pram queen'
« Reply #12 on: 25 October 2006, 14:19:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Over-reacting there, possibly because you're having a bad day. Pram queen wasn't dictating, whereas that seems to be your tone! Lighten up, it's the weekend soon.

And when we had a baby, we didn't need a car!

Pram Queen
« Reply #13 on: 25 October 2006, 20:03:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

ditto...to 'to pram queen'.

geez, 'need', 'want' - whatever???  actual point of my post was regarding expenditure on prams in relation to cars not whether someone should or should not get a car.........

...and we can get our pram down those escalators!!!!  Cheerio

Dad to be
« Reply #14 on: 25 October 2006, 23:58:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks guys, for your comments and advice. I had thought about buying a car but, to be honest, I can't get my head around how much it will effectively cost us.
Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: