Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 25 November 2017, 13:46:27 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ferry to Bintan  (Read 15098 times)
teribble sealegs
« on: 06 February 2009, 20:00:53 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi

does anyone know what the ferry ride is like in June between Singapore and bintan, I am not that fond of boats

ferree
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2009, 20:11:39 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It's OK, but it depends on the weather I guess.  I've been lucky when I've been and it hasn't been very choppy.  I'm not sure if they cancel/postpone them in bad weather - I'd imagine they do if there is a storm brewing, but if it's just dull and rainy I would think they'd still sail.

The Resorts ferries are posher than the Tanjung Pinang ones though, which would probably make a difference to your sailing 'experience'!

not too bad
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2009, 20:32:02 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I get very easily sea and car sick and so far so good travelling to Bintan. If you're going by resort ferries, it's a hydrofoil with airline type seats, all indoors, although you can get up and walk around, get a snack etc. There are TV screens and what works for me is to watch the screens which gives me a fixed point, not look out of the window where I can see the movement against the horizon. But if you're worried, you can get seasickness pills in any pharmacy - something like dramamine, I think. June most likely should be OK, very hot, but no guarantees.
cmdsea

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2009, 15:52:09 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

To PP. Apologies for being pedantic but a subject close to my heart and time to don my anorak... Its a Catamaran not a hydrofoil

Need to go to HK and ride the turbojet to macau if you want a ride on a hydrofoil

http://www.boeing.com/history/boeing/hydro.html

not too bad
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2009, 16:39:53 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks, you are of course correct. Last time I was on a hydrofoil was in HCMC, travelling to Vung Tau, and it was quite different from the catamaran to Bintan.
terrible sea legs
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2009, 20:06:22 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Well _ I`m definitely not getting on the hydro thing!  But will head off to Bintan in June.

Thank you for your replies
middle
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2009, 20:12:25 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've been very squeamish on one crossing, and absolutely fine on the other 3. Depends on weather on the day. Sit in middle of boat so you get less side-to-side movement. Fix eyes on tv screen, or if looking out window, look at the hills in the distance, not the water.
Oh dear...
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2009, 14:10:21 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

...Have travelled to Bintan at various times of the year and as yet have not had one decent crossing.
The last time we travelled around June time the weather was OK, little wind only, but for some reason the crossing was still very rough.  Plenty of sick buckets dished out that trip !!

I'd take a travel pill just in case!
fhghgh
« Reply #8 on: 09 February 2009, 19:59:52 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Alternatively, you could give Bintan a miss altogether - it's an overpriced dump that's not worth visiting.
take the pills!
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2009, 1:19:11 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've been to Bintan so many times and it's always a hit and miss. I would definitely advise you to pop a dramamine as it is so not pleasant getting sick in the catamaran! Take it some 30 mins before the ride so it will take effect just in time.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: