Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 22 November 2017, 13:37:40 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: part time help..lead to problem  (Read 6283 times)
GB
« on: 03 February 2001, 10:09:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I hired a local singaporean woman to help me with cleaning the house last Sept. We never had any sort of contract. We met and discussed what salary I would pay (12.50 an hour or 200.00 for two weeks 16 hr)and when she would come to help.
Well..might've been a BIG mistake, and stupid on my part, not to have some sort of written agreement. Long story shortened, I told her in October that I no longer needed her services (many reasons why)and tried to be very pleasant about it.
She came back the next day, demanding one month's salary for letting her go with little notice. She claims this is the law. I asked her to come in and sit down, so we could work things out amicably. She refused, and proceeded to call the police outside my door, yelling at me and humiliating me in front of all my neighbors. I had been overly fair and pleasant with her, when employed and when I notified her of dismissal.
Now I have received a letter, stating there is a claim for severence pay at the ministry of manpower. I've been told that as there was no contract, she cannot pursue one month's salary. Funny thing is, if she had at least been more inclined to sit down and discuss the matter, I may have been more willing. Any input on the laws re: this?

Lily Aritama
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2001, 18:30:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Domestic Employment is not regulated by the Employment Act.

In Singapore part-time domestic work is common enough for some sort of standard to emerge and my understanding is hire and hire within 24 hours unless there is a contract to say otherwise.

If this woman really takes you to court, she will probably not win.

Abigail
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Did the police really come? I find that kind of frightening considering Lily's comments. If no law was broken I am surprised they would get involved.

Anyhow, she sounds like she figures if she makes a scene you will capitulate but I would stand my ground.

I read on this post that Amahs on Wheels is overbooked ... might be time for some enterprising peopel to start a new company!

GB
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2001, 9:30:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yes, the policeman did come, as he obviously has to respond to the call. She made a fool of herself in front of him, and he was not very friendly to her. He did mention at that time that without a contract, little could be done on her part. Guess I feel pretty secure, at this point, that she will not win this. It still disturbs me that she made such a scene in front of my neighbors after treating her with much respect. It's amazing to watch somebody change into such a wicked person. She had been quite pleasant before.  
Abigail
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2001, 9:52:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You can never predict how people will act when money's involved. I am sure your neighbours saw it for what it was, the rantings of a disgruntled former employee. Put it behind you and hold your head up you've done nothing wrong.
Mango
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2001, 17:59:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi GB

I have been here for just over 6 months.  I wanted a part time maid and the security man told me 'he had just the right person in mind.'  This woman drove me around the bend: she wanted the job; she didn't want the job; she would come for an interview; didn't turn up for the interview; extremely sorry; turned up for the interview; took the job; never showed up!!!!!

I am managing without a maid thank you very much.  I would rather sweat over a bit of ironing than go through that lot again - mind you, I should mention that there are only two of us!

I have also been told that if you employ a maid who is already employed as someone else's full time maid you could lose your green card. However, a lot of people I know seem to be doing just that.

It seems to me that part time maids are not only quite expensive, but more trouble than they are worth.

Here follows a load of fellow contributors who have brilliant part time maids.......

Mossie
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2001, 18:05:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

err - ask her if she pays tax!

Tell her to get lost - she has no right to make such demands, and isn't going to go anywhere near a court with that sort of outrageous approach.

BoardManager
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2001, 0:24:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I would advocate your calling her bluff. Say you have lodged a police report for harassment (indeed you should consider this option) and that you and the neighbours don't feel safe. Then ask if she would still like to work for you  

Temporary or contract work usually does not hold much legal water. Even if there was to be a contract in place, the termination notice is usually (almost always) 24 hours anyway. So you needn't fret too much.

Act C O O L ! She will start to wonder.

If you are living in a condo, you may notify the security guards and management committee that she is not a welcome guest.

Good Luck. Btw, please give us a sitrep.
B.Mgr

Lily Aritama
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2001, 1:45:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

To Mango

Who observes that a lot of people I know seem to be doing just that - employing a full-time maid who is presumed to be a work permit holder - implying that it is okay.

Safety in number does not work here. Many people break the speed limit and never get caught. But it is still against the law and Singapore is a fine city.

GB
« Reply #9 on: 06 February 2001, 9:34:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for responding..all of you. Board manager, I like your ideas. :} I plan to go to the hearing this Thurs with my head up high. No worries at this point..in fact, I really wish I could call her to tell her we are just wasting an afternoon but instead I will just offer her a little, friendly wink when I see her in person. Nah, just a small smirk. I'll let you know what happens with this.
cs
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2001, 11:22:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

GB

Some points you might want to note with regard to the Employment Act.

1)Part time employees are covered under the Employement Act (Section 66A). These are defined as defined as persons whose work for less that 30 hrs per week for an employer.

2)Retrenchment benifits are covered under Sections 45 & 46. For an employee to claim benefits, the employee must have been in continuous service for 3 yrs.

It is therefore fairly obvious that your part-time maid is not entitled under Singapore Law to make the claim.    

Stupid ?
« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2001, 14:18:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

OK time for a quick survey of what you good people think about this.

Our part time maid telephoned this morning and asked for a two month advance of salary (about 700 dollars). She says it's to pay her daughters school fees and she needs it as soon as possible.

She has worked for us for nearly two years and has always been honest and reliable (asks to use the phone and calls when she is going to be late etc).

Should I give her the money or not.

I think I've already decided what to do but would like to hear your opinions.

GB
« Reply #12 on: 07 February 2001, 15:44:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Well,

My thought is that it would not be wise to do this. Probably due to my own experience above. This woman was so pleasant and I thought trustworthy. She turned on me so suddenly, and became very wicked. She not only lied to the police officer; her personality completely changed.
I can understand wanting to help, but I've heard too many horror stories. She may end up "slacking off" in her work and/or may quit on you. You just never know. I never had an employer that would give me 2 months salary ahead of time!!!!

Lily Aritama
« Reply #13 on: 08 February 2001, 0:14:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If she's been working for you for two years, she may feel that she is entitled to some loyalty award.

Quite often people do give their employees a bonus at the end of the year. If you are not familiar with this custom, you may have overlooked it and now she is "claiming" it. And that is bad, because she may not show up again.

However if she is really desperate and needs money and you are the only one who can help, perhaps you will see her again and she will repay you.

But I think it is less than 50-50.

Of course there is this thing call gut feeling and perhaps your instinct can guide you better than others who are total strangers.

Good luck whatever you decided.

To Stupid ?
« Reply #14 on: 08 February 2001, 10:39:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You are kind to even consider this advance, so don't think it might be stupid.

However, it's ill-advised. Does your part-time maid live and work for another family? If so, all of you are breaking the law by having her work part-time for you. Now I'm not judging, but if she does 'take the money and run' you will definitely have no recourse.

Secondly, if she does have a regular employer (maybe she's been working there more than two years since she's been with you that long) why is she not asking them for the money?

Thirdly, school fees are payable at the same time every year, and she is presumably risking breaking the law to earn extra money so a question to ask (since you seem close to her) might be why hasn't she saved the money.

There might be another problem that you are unaware of. Often these girls get the 'shake down' from unscrupulous boyfriends and if you help her perpetuate the problem her life will be miserable.

But if in your heart you want to give it and don't care if you get it back,then by all means hand it over. You might feel this is a small 'reward' for loyal service in which case you should treat it as such and not expect repayment.

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: