Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 22 November 2017, 13:22:27 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: 1 [2]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: part time help..lead to problem  (Read 6282 times)
Stupid ?
« Reply #15 on: 08 February 2001, 13:17:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

GB Thanks, I kinda guessed that would be your answer.

Lily We did give her a one month xmas bonus this year and last year plus her normal months wages even though we were away for three weeks over xmas and the new year so I don't think its that.

To Stupid ? I don't think she works for just one family, I get the impression she just does a lot of p/t work as she always seems busy when we need her babysit (but she always manages to rearrange her schedule for us)Oh and she's married so it might be the unscrupulous husband trying to shake her down.

Anyway I need to make my decision today so any more thoughts out there ?  

Michelle

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 February 2001, 15:27:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

IF you're are going to give her the advance salary, make sure you have the conditions in writing and have her sign the "contract". If not, it's her words against yours in case problems arise.
To Stupid ?
« Reply #17 on: 08 February 2001, 17:22:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Okay, then I vote no.

While you didn't mention if she's a foreign maid or local (which would determine whether or not she's legally working for you and others part-time) it sounds like you have given her a decent amount of extra money. Something's not quite right here and I think you're well-advised to steer clear.

Good luck with your decision and let us know how you make out.

Lily Aritama
« Reply #18 on: 08 February 2001, 18:25:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

After reading all the posts I have to admit that I misunderstood the problem.

So your maid is a foreign live-in domestic worker and she is working illegally for you and for others.

Is she "sponsored" by someone who gives got her a work permit and gives her a place to stay probably for a no mean consideration - say 3 big ones?

Then she's got to take in a lot of p/t jobs to earn enough to pay for her the levy ($345) and in order to pocket $350 she's got to earn maybe $1,000 because she's got to reimburse her "sponsor" for the levy; and she's got to pay for transportation and food.

And if time is money, she just might commute in style, by taxi. If she gets paid $12 an hour, it woud not make much sense to wait for a bus and walk part way. So the $1,000 she's got to split with the cabby too.

But I have heard too many stories about fdw  not honouring their debts. I mentioned that your chances of getting you money is less than 50-50, now I would estimate it at 20-80.

If I were you, I would not expect to get it back.

mj
« Reply #19 on: 09 February 2001, 19:28:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If she's such a good worker and has always been trustworthy and reliable then I would happily give/lend her the money.
I recently made a gift to my maid of 5000 dollars so she could finish building a home for her husband and son and had no fear that I'd never see her again.  She of course duly returned and I believe will be with me for a few years yet.
I kind of figured that even if I never saw her again I'd had over 5 years of hassle free life largely due to her and that it was money well spent.
I know you'll do the right thing.  Sometimes you have to let your heart lead.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: