Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 22 November 2017, 13:28:19 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 2647 times)
Junebug

View Profile WWW
« on: 28 February 2001, 22:26:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Now I know that Singapore is one of safest cities on the face of this earth, nonetheless I was pickpocketed today. Now my question is whether anyone can recommend an insurance for break-ins. I know that it's very unlikely that it should ever happen here but after today I'd really rather be safe than sorry.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Perhaps
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2001, 23:44:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Maybe its a matter of perception/marketing, and my 'sample' probably wont stand statistical scrutiny, but one thing I know for sure is that I have more friends who've been burgled here than in the UK.

Try Marsh & Co - they've been good for us. Haven't got the number offhand, but Singtel will have.  

Pat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2001, 7:43:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

We use AIA and Alvin Chua is our agent...340-0791. He is very professional and happily comes to your home.
concerned
« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2001, 15:27:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Over Christmas 'a few' of the apartments in our condo were burgled.  When pressed for more info, all the management office would say was that more than 3 or 4 were burgled.

In addition to this we have had shoes stolen from outside our apartment.  We now keep them inside!

evehow
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2001, 16:03:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Get good locks and a security system.... or at least that box thing that comes with all security systems, even if you don't have one.  Scares away the burglars for sure since they won't know if you've got a real system or not.  

There is a reason why window grilles are installed, besides keeping your kids from calling out of your flat!  But grilles are not fool-proof too (particularly those mass-produced ones which come with identical locks!)

You're probably looking for homeowner's insurance.  Check out all major insurance companies in Singapore - Prudential, AIA, Great Eastern, NTUC - and evaluate based on price and coverage.

Junebug

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2001, 16:11:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

*grin* @ evehow - I think the security system of my condo is fairly good. They have cameras all over the place...

Anyway, thanks for the ideas!  

Maybe, maybe not...
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2001, 17:32:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Junebug - appearances can be deceptive...a friend of ours was pleased with their 24 hour security until they were burgled in the middle of the night - by one of their own guards!!!
Junebug

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2001, 19:25:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

First thing next week I will check out the different insurance possibilities. I would really prefer not be victim of a burglary but you should never say never. I lived 17 years in New York and not once did anything happen.

I've learned my lesson. Better safe than sorry.

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: