Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: UWCSEA  (Read 4579 times)
MumtoAaron
« on: 09 August 2009, 19:09:16 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hello

I am moving to Sing at Christmas with hubby and 3 year old. He is curently on the waiting list for UWCSEA, for 2011.
The problem is, that initially my husbands company were going to pay some school expenses for the 1st year, but now thats not the case.
I dont think we can afford the fees at UWC, but I have heard that my son would not be eligible for a local school.
does anyone have a child who attends UWC, I would appreciate some feedback, is it really better than other schools at primary level? Can anyone suggest an alternative?
Thanks
ExpatSingapore Message Board
« on: 09 August 2009, 19:09:16 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

HR Guy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09 August 2009, 19:23:14 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Let me see if i can help. UWCSEA is one of the most expensive international schools. Having said that it also has a very good reputation in Singapore (of course depending on who you ask). Your son is definitely eligible for loca school when he is 6 (primary 1) but will be only eligible to enrol after all local kids have gone through the process. Having said that there are many pre-schools that are a mix of both until such time he goes to primary. The Ministry of Education site for Singapore is a great site with loads of information.
so many options
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2009, 0:56:18 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

He's only "not eligible" because he's much too young for local Primary School. You could choose a much less expensive International School eg Eton House or Emaar, or else wait until you get here and choose a pre-school close to home until he's old enough for local Primary 1, which starts at rising 7. Local kids usually go to pre-school/kindergarten from age 3-6. By the time they move to Primary 1, most can already do basic reading/writing/counting so similar to the first couple of years of primary where we come from (UK). There are loads of pre-schools which can be local or have a good mix of local-expat kids. He's only 3, so you can  leave him on the UWC waiting list and see how things go in the meantime.
Another Suggestion
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2009, 8:19:14 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Your son will benefit greatly from seeing his mother as an individual with her own identity - being known as "Mum to Aaron" is not doing him or you any favors.

Being in a cheaper school than UWC at 3 or 4 years old is not going to blight the rest of Aaron's life.  Think about it, gain some perspective, and I guarantee little Aaron will survive!
I'm confused
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2009, 9:12:39 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If they were only going to pay "some expenses for the first year" what do you think was going to happen after that?

I would put him into a local preschool (one that has a mix of expats and locals) until he is 6 and then transfer him to UWC- but only if you feel you can afford it.  You can defer a year and start him in K2..
It's a great school, but it's not perfect.  No school is.
also confused
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2009, 13:28:05 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You first have to decide which area you are going stay.
Then you have to decide whether you want kindergarten or childcare.
Next would be style: play based, montessouri, church-linked etc.

I have spoken to a few about UWC but have yet to hear some negative comment about it (except the cost).  Just wonder why.
AmberJ
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2009, 5:36:28 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hello

Interesting comments as always.......thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth Smiley

UWCSEA is, in most peoples opinion, a FANTASTIC school........if you can afford it.

I moved to Sg last year with 2 toddlers, and 1 currently goes to UWC, the other is on the waiting list. Its costing us an arm and a leg, but I feel that its worth it, for a world class education, I know back in the UK that the best private schools cannot compare- I have been told this by many teachers too.

Not to say there arent other fab schools here.........Eton, Dover Court etc
Agneisse

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2009, 5:52:37 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

UWC is great if you can pay the price tag.

In addition to what everybody has already said, your son will be eligible for a local school from primary 1 onwards though he will have lowest priority ('phase 3') in registration - such trends are the same from year to year and lists of Schools with Vacancies are published in newspapers every year so plan to be conveniently located if this is an option you are considering. I think it takes a certain child and parent to succeed in a SG local school but they are a great (and economical) option well worth consideration. The rigour will make a return to US/UK systems a breeze (academically) (:
It's no wonder
« Reply #8 on: 12 August 2009, 8:07:17 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It's no wonder why people keep asking the same questions about schools here. I just went and had a peak this website's so-called "Resources" section. In there you will find a table that compares various aspects of schools.

My kids have been at UWC for 10 years now and the person listed as the admissions officer hasn't been at the school for at least five years.

What is the use of having a resource section that is badly out of date and inaccurate?
Up to the school
« Reply #9 on: 12 August 2009, 19:03:07 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I would of thought it was the responsibility of the school to make sure that the contacts were up to date in any of the advertising forums they use.
jjjjjj
« Reply #10 on: 13 August 2009, 9:29:44 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I would of thought it was the responsibility of the school to make sure that the contacts were up to date in any of the advertising forums they use.

They're not advertising -
Ivebeenthere
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2009, 1:15:56 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am a teacher, and have taught at several local and expat schools in the area.

UWCSEA is not the best school there is, no way, it just cant compare to others
Bitter?
« Reply #12 on: 14 August 2009, 16:41:53 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Sounds like PP is a bit bitter about something. I didn't read into any of the posts that UWC is the
"best" school. It's a good school... a fantastic school... etc It's a good school, but like all others, it will have its share of issues. There is no one BEST school. Each school here has good and bad points and it will depend on the attitude of the student and his/her parents. Now, back to the subject, Int'l schools on the whole are very expensive. You must decide if it is affordable for your family. If you can't or don't wish to afford it, you do have the option of going to a local school. The issue most westerner has with the local system is the teaching style. It is not play base and may not be much "fun" for your personal style... but man, the kid will know his times table! In any case, you have lots of time to think about it. You may wish to start local... and as the child gets older, you may then transfer to an int'l school... say around grade 4. You'll have time to check out the different schools/styles. Go with what makes sense for your family... not the crowd!
Local Private
« Reply #13 on: 14 August 2009, 17:27:12 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

At age 3 you could send him to the hundreds of little private preschools around the island. 

Preschool here is from age 2 to 6 and don't worry it's not all play-based.  Some are very academic.

Wait till you arrive and check out your options.  At 3 and paying your own fees, I would NOT be putting down a deposit until I saw the options.

Some of these charge half or a third of international schools.

My kids have been at one for 5+ years and very happy.
to ivebeenthere
« Reply #14 on: 14 August 2009, 18:18:57 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

so what, IYHO, would you say is the BEST school?
Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: