Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 26 July 2017, 6:34:00 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: entering Sing w less than 6 month validity on passport  (Read 23184 times)
worried .....
« on: 11 August 2009, 6:54:18 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

a friend is en route to Singapore for a short visit (5 days) and just discovered that her passport is expiring in 3 months.  will she run into problems with customs and immigration at the airport?  She has a US passport so no visa is required.  What are her options?  hope to hear from someone soon as she is due to arrive in a few days,  Help !! Cry

HR Guy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2009, 12:52:26 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yep very likely to have problems. My son had 5 months, 25 days validity and luckily we arranged an emergency new passport before travel as the Singapore Immigration advised that we wouldn't have been able to get back in without 6 months. My guess is it varies depending on the customs officer you get so am only stating what we were told.
mimmo@home
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2009, 16:03:25 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

no worries. you should be fine.

done that numerous times, both causeway and changi, and never encountered any problems (travelling on employment pass though, not a tourist visa). but my guess is that even more so with tourists, why should they want to miss out on the $$$ you are likely to spend in SG.
not good
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2009, 16:43:32 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

This happened to my father in law when coming from the US.  His pp was 3 days short of being 6 mos valid.  To make a long story short, when he got to the airport, ended up having to sign several docs and speak w svrl people, and had to take a later flight out.

Either your friend should attempt to get an emergency pp, or rebook the trip.  It's just not worth the hassle.

jalanperak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2009, 17:24:33 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

no worries. you should be fine.

done that numerous times, both causeway and changi, and never encountered any problems (travelling on employment pass though, not a tourist visa). but my guess is that even more so with tourists, why should they want to miss out on the $$$ you are likely to spend in SG.

This is absolutely wrong. If you're here on an EP, you generally have a two year visa, which is what ICA is looking at. With this, you can enter the country with less than six months validity on you passport. Lacking that, which is the case of the OP's friend, ICA will almost certainly deny entry into the country. They may make an exception if you're just a few days short of six months, but with only three months validity it's almost 100% certain that ICA will deny entry.

not just ICA
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2009, 22:12:59 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It's not just ICA who will have a problem with under 6 months validity. Chances are that the airline will deny boarding unless they receive some assurance that your friend will be allowed to enter Singapore. If not, the airline are responsible for his/her repatriation. Probably what happened with "not good"'s Father-in-Law
madcat23

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2009, 0:18:25 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

an aunt of mine had only 5 months in her passport, boarding australia she was informed of this but decided to try her luck anyways, she had a return ticket  back to her own country. so i think that was taken into consideration.
daughter did it
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2009, 9:31:37 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Daughter did it.

Phoned brit embassy and ica.

Embassy said fine, ica said nope.  She is on dp and with mother (who had plenty of time).

Anyway, risked it and not a problem but believe it was due to dp.  I think a tourist would be stuffed.
worried...
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2009, 13:08:24 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks everyone for your valuable input.  For future reference, my friend just checked in for her SQ flight into Singers.  She was told that she should not have any problems getting into the country.  We had also called the US embassy here who told us that just as long as she will exit the country before the expiration date, there should be no problems.  Whew.... what a relief!!   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Will keep you posted in case they don't get pass immigration this evening -- fingers crossed.
DontaskmewhyIforgot
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2009, 17:19:32 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Anyone knows if Singapore Citizens will encounter any problems returning to Singapore with a less-than-6-months-valid passport.  I'll be leaving Sg for the weekend to Malaysia (if they will let me enter) and back on Sunday.  I didn't realise that my PP is due soon.  Will I face any problems ??  Tongue 
Nonplused
« Reply #10 on: 13 August 2009, 20:20:58 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks everyone for your valuable input.  For future reference, my friend just checked in for her SQ flight into Singers.  She was told that she should not have any problems getting into the country.  We had also called the US embassy here who told us that just as long as she will exit the country before the expiration date, there should be no problems.  Whew.... what a relief!!   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Will keep you posted in case they don't get pass immigration this evening -- fingers crossed.
When you enter a foreign land, it is up to the immigration authority of that country to decide whether to let you in with less than 6 months validity in your passport. So what if the US embassy says you can enter? They don't man the checkpoints.
jalanperak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2009, 8:22:27 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Anyone knows if Singapore Citizens will encounter any problems returning to Singapore with a less-than-6-months-valid passport.  I'll be leaving Sg for the weekend to Malaysia (if they will let me enter) and back on Sunday.  I didn't realise that my PP is due soon.  Will I face any problems ??  Tongue 

I doubt it. As a Singaporean citizen, you don't need a passport to be in Singapore, so it doesn't matter how long your passport is valid for.
with pp
« Reply #12 on: 14 August 2009, 18:05:27 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Posted before about my daughter.

Uk end irrelevant as she is a citzen, same here.  It is tourists who need to worry.
Timothy C
« Reply #13 on: 16 July 2017, 19:29:14 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It is possible to enter Singapore with a US passport (as a US citizen) if the passport's expiration date is less than 6 months from the time of entry--I did so last week, no questions asked with a passport expiring 5.5 months from the time of entry. However, my case had certain caveats so I'm not sure if they will affect others' experiences:

1) I had previously entered Singapore with 6.5 months on my passport; the entry last week with 5.5 months was after a side trip to Laos and Myanmar, so I'm not sure if my prior entry had any affect on my re-entry. However, I did note in my first entry that I'd be staying only a few days, so from the immigration officer's point of view this *should* have counted as two separate (unrelated) trips, both of which involved travel within Singapore and *not* transits onward to other airports.

2) My wife is a Singapore citizen. Not sure if this detail even comes up during the immigration check, but it might, and I'm not certain what (if any) affect this has on the process.

3) My 8 year old daughter (US citizen) was physically present with me during the entry check; her passport had more than 1 years' validity. Again, not sure if what affect this may have on the discretion of the immigration officer to admit parents and children together if at least one passport is fully by-the-book.

4) I had a valid return ticket on SQ 26 for return to the US, on a flight 2 days after my entry with 5.5 months validity on my US passport. The immigration officer did not ask about this, and I'm not sure if he was even able to determine the status of my flight booking beyond my noting in my entry documents that I'd be leaving Singapore in 2 days...

So, it is possible to enter Singapore with less than 6 month's validity on a US passport, but I don't know how much was due to the potential mitigating factors above or the immigration officer's discretion. I do find it odd that the immigration officer did not even *mention* that my passport was about to expire; I can't believe this was an oversight, but I'm not sure what it signifies. At the very least I expected a stern warning not to try this again in the future, but instead...nothing.

And yet...I would also strongly advise counting on this working in the future; beyond the worries, I also was almost unable to board the plane from Laos to Singapore as the Laotian authorities were concerned that Singapore would reject my entry and return me to Laos (where I was on a side-trip). Had this happened, I probably would have had to book a direct flight from Laos back to the United States, which would have cost several thousand USD.

In short: act smarter than I did and get your passport up to date before your trip, and don't rely on luck or other mitigating factors to get through without issue.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: