Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 20 October 2017, 16:54:01 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bread flour  (Read 16127 times)
freiversuch

View Profile
« on: 10 September 2009, 9:33:11 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I'm on the hunt for different bread flour types available in Singapore and am having some difficulty finding the stuff I want (unbleached, whole meal, for bread baking)

So, for all the bread baking readers/posters here: where do you buy your bread flour, and what do you use?
I'm especially interested in rye and whole meal flour for bread baking but I'll take any advice.

Thanks in advance.

possum magic
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2009, 11:11:17 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Try Eat Organic on Bukit Timah Road, they have a large range of flours (also alot cheaper than the Organic shops in Tanglin precinct).  CS sometimes has waitrose bread flour whch is quite good.  Or you could try Phoon Huat HV, which I personally find very overrated - they don't even stock pure vanilla extract!
Mrs Sparkles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2009, 20:44:53 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

My favourite white flours are:
  • Waitrose Canadian Bread Flour (this is not the exact name but will enable you to find it) - very high gluten and I'm maintaining my sourdough culture on this
  • Gold Medal "Better for Bread" flour (contains diastatic malt - nice crust colour)

For wholemeal I have used:
  • a breadmix from Australia that is in CS sometimes (brand Laucke)
  • Origins (?) brand - organic range in NTUC ex US/ Australia
  • Atta from NTUC/ Mustafa - staple for Indian breads but lately I've put it in leavened breads too

For specialty flours, the Bob's Red Mill range are good - they have a couple of different rye flours and chopped rye grains.
freiversuch

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2009, 19:46:52 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for the answers. Very helpful.

I found that there is a German marketplace very close to the"Organic" shop in BT, which also sells wheat and rye bread flour and and course meal for about $5/kg.

I also agree that the Phoon Huat seems a bit overrated when it comes to actual baking ingredients.
sandwich
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2009, 22:26:11 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Mrs Sparkles, I use atta for my chappatis and parathas etc.  Is it the same as wholemeal flour?   The brand I buy says 'wholewheat' on the packet, however its still very 'white' looking. In the UK, the atta I bought was a much browner colour with a grainier texture...so this makes me wonde how 'wholemeal' the one I buy here is....
stevec

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2009, 15:53:32 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

just in case anyone is interested, the German marketplace on Bukit timah is also the only place i have found so far in 10 years in singapore that stocks fresh yeast
Mrs Sparkles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2009, 9:25:21 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Mrs Sparkles, I use atta for my chappatis and parathas etc.  Is it the same as wholemeal flour?   The brand I buy says 'wholewheat' on the packet, however its still very 'white' looking. In the UK, the atta I bought was a much browner colour with a grainier texture...so this makes me wonde how 'wholemeal' the one I buy here is....

I agree, Sandwich, whole grain labelling can be unhelpful sometimes. I read somewhere that some attas have components of the grain that others don't.

The fibre and fat contents of the different atta flours should give us some clues. Let's compare them. Perhaps you can find the UK flour's details on the web, or ask one of your friends there.

I've retrieved the details from the bag I have, which is called "House Brand".

Total Fat: 2.1 grams per 100 grams
Dietary Fibre: 7.2 grams per 100 grams

If others could post too we could look at the variation.
Details from a couple of non-atta "wholemeal" flours would be helpful too.
kopiko

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 September 2009, 17:10:22 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I also agree that the Phoon Huat seems a bit overrated when it comes to actual baking ingredients.

Phoon Huat (at HV) has a mix of very useful and pretty useless, cheap ingredients. However, for fresh wholemeal flour I use them. It is in the fridge section. They also have wheat bran and wheat germ. Where to find that in Singapore? Fresh wholemeal flour and wholemeal flour from the shelf are a mile apart.
NNN33
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2017, 20:37:24 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I get my specialty flour from Foodsterr
david_k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2017, 2:29:03 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

have you tried Mustafa in Farrer Park?
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: