Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 23 May 2018, 17:35:17 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dying hair when pregnant  (Read 992 times)
Henna
« on: 20 November 2009, 14:08:36 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I didn't dye my hair during my first pregnancy due to the unknown risk, but is it really that bad? 

I have been looking for henna as an alternative as my hair is looking awful and I really want to do something about it - but I haven't been able to find any in BRP at Tanglin Mall.  Any idea where this can be found?

Thanks

latexpat
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2009, 22:39:59 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You get them at Mustafas and other places in Little India. It may be marked Henna powder or Mehendi.

..........But, do show it to the salesperson and confirm that it isn't Hot Madras Curry Chutney powder, some of those are labelled "Mild" which I don't recommend either for your own hair or somebody else's. If my mother-in-law feels adventurous she may be allowed to try. ;P
I did
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2009, 20:07:52 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I dyed mine with normal dye when I was pregnant (both times) as I'd never even heard of it being bad for you - I'm still not quite sure why it is supposed to be.

The best thing I can think of if you want to avoid normal hair dyes is to go to a salon which does henna (Little India might be the place to go).  I've tried using henna before and it's a nightmare to use, very messy - some people suggest mixing it with things to make it more user friendly (you can find info about that on the internet), but you'd probably get a better dye job at a salon.
salon job
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2009, 22:39:06 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

As far as I know, modern day hair dyes are safe to use while pregnant as long as it does not have contact with the scalp where the chemicals may be absorbed.  Highlights/lowlights done professionally would be my option as this does not need to touch your scalp.  
Good Luck
aliliam68

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2009, 10:32:06 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi I'm not sure where you can get it but the advice I was given by a doctor friend when I was pregnant last time was that there's more chance of you breathing in more chemicals and polutants by walking down the street than having your hairy dyed.....got for it and feel better!
Kerrshay

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2018, 2:10:56 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I haven't found any evidence to support the idea that it might harm baby dyeing your hair while pregnant.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: