Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 23 November 2014, 21:08:46 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Where to get dark rum - or alternative?  (Read 7628 times)
britmum

View Profile
« on: 12 December 2009, 8:04:32 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Seem to be having trouble finding dark rum (for baking)...can anyone advise where I can get it? Or is there a suitable substitute?
« Last Edit: 12 December 2009, 9:14:19 AM by britmum » Logged

Rum Bum & Baccy
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2009, 10:06:31 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Dark rum is simply any rum that is not a clear spirit (Bacardi, for instance is white rum), so any brownish coloured rum should suffice. I often substitute rum for sherry (in my trifle, say), but some recipes really do need rum. Have seen dark rum for sale in Cold Storage.
britmum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2009, 10:08:41 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Which Cold Storage? Couldn't find any kind of not-clear rum in CS Jelita, Holland Village or Orchard Centrepoint. Not in Carrefour either.
Rum Bum & Baccy
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2009, 10:50:54 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have found it at CS at Sixth Ave and also at Tanglin Marketplace, but have no idea if they have stock at the moment. The brand I bought was Mount Gay, but any dark rum should do, although you may want to avoid the infamous Lamb's Rum/paint stripper..
britmum

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2009, 10:54:06 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks I'll try those places. It's for Christmas baking so don't need premier brand. I was aware that brown rum is the same as dark, they just only seem to stock white stuff... I also was wondering if there was something non-alcoholic which I could use instead...?
« Last Edit: 12 December 2009, 11:06:47 AM by britmum » Logged
Rum Bum & Baccy
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2009, 12:12:42 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If there's no stock, maybe you could ask the booze department staff at the supermarket if they can have a bottle brought in for you. Have just remembered that I've bought dark rum from Jason's at Claymore Hill as well in the past. Afraid that I have no idea about the non-alcoholic substitute as our sins are many in this household. Good idea, though, if young children are consuming the goodies. Plus, have a dim recollection of reading a news article from the UK some years back about a particularly boozy Christmas cake putting a driver over the limit.
rummy
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2009, 15:48:37 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I buy the King Robert dark rum that they sell in Cold Storage - it's about the cheapest you can get here and you can sometimes get half bottles if you don't usually drink rum.  It's around $39.90 at the moment for a big bottle but they sometimes have special offers.
kopiko

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2009, 16:21:51 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Old monk rum from Sheng Siong.
Airport
« Reply #8 on: 12 December 2009, 17:36:46 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Next time you go through the airport you can look in the duty free too. They sell Myers dark rum for about 20 SGD and also the Bacardi Oro, which is also a dark rum and a bit more expensive.
BritmumNLI
« Reply #9 on: 13 December 2009, 7:29:58 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks everyone, I found it in the CS at Great World City mall. If anyone needs some it's on special offer and there were 3 kinds...
Chun Kit
« Reply #10 on: 07 April 2014, 15:22:50 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If you want to find dark rum, I would like to introduce this:

Old Monk Rum

Check out this online store, the Old Monk Rum even cheaper than Sheng Sheong, most likely the main importer for this rum.

newcastle.com.sg
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: