Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 28 August 2014, 15:23:07 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: SJI International's IB results  (Read 8666 times)
IB schools
« on: 07 January 2010, 21:39:09 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I remember there was a lot of discussion on SJI International.  We are still looking for IB schools for our daughter. The results for their first IB batch is out.  The average grade is 35.7.  How does that compare with other international schools like UWC?

Jan 7, 2010
SJI (I), ACS (I) score in IB
By Mou Zongxiao

ST JOSEPH'S Institution (SJI) International has produced its first batch of 56 International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma students.

This is a 93 per cent pass rate among the 58 who opted for the six-year programme at the school, which sees them bypassing the usual four years of secondary school leading up to the O levels and the two additional years ending with the A levels.

The release of the IB results yesterday was also a red-letter day at Anglo-Chinese School (Independent), the only other school in Singapore running the IB programme: The school produced its third straight batch of 100 per cent passes.

Over at SJI International, Desiree Leong and Ian Chai, both 18, were the school's top performers, each scoring 44 points out of a possible 45 in their six subjects.

The average score among their batch of classmates was 35.7 for subjects such as chemistry, mathematics, economics and English.

To earn the IB diploma, after which comes university, a student must score at least 24 points
ExpatSingapore Message Board
« on: 07 January 2010, 21:39:09 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

HR Guy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2010, 22:58:27 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

How do you get the results from other schools like AIS etc?
IB schools
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2010, 23:18:56 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

How can I get my hands on the results of other international schools?
UWCer
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2010, 0:06:41 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Any half decent international school will post their results on their websites so just have a look around at the different school's websites.  Here's what UWC posted on theirs

In 2009 UWCSEA students who sat for the IB Diploma achieved an average points' score of 36 with a 98% pass rate: the worldwide average for the last five years has been 30 points and 80% respectively. Three students achieved the maximum 45 points, an extraordinary feat, whilst another six scored 44 points.

In all, 23% achieved more than 40 points and 90% were above 30 points. Most importantly, the vast majority were accepted into their first choice university.
No AIS
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2010, 11:09:52 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

AIS do not do IB for high school.  Only for primary and middle school
IB schools
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2010, 11:47:58 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Any half decent international school will post their results on their websites so just have a look around at the different school's websites.  Here's what UWC posted on theirs

In 2009 UWCSEA students who sat for the IB Diploma achieved an average points' score of 36 with a 98% pass rate: the worldwide average for the last five years has been 30 points and 80% respectively. Three students achieved the maximum 45 points, an extraordinary feat, whilst another six scored 44 points.

In all, 23% achieved more than 40 points and 90% were above 30 points. Most importantly, the vast majority were accepted into their first choice university.

Thanks, this is interesting.  So, this places SJI International just slightly below UWCSEA, but in the same ballpark.

The local school, ACS Independent, seems way ahead, with a grade average almost 41 points, 13 students scoring perfect 45 scores, and 68.2% scoring above 40 points. 

What other schools offer the IB?  It seems that AIS, SAS and the Canadian school (CIS)do not.

paa

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2010, 12:19:26 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

CIS offer full IB from pimary through to graduation.  AIS do not offer full IB nor do UWC (they revert back to British system fro middle school).
IGCSE
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2010, 13:00:09 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

UWC does not offer the MYP because they do IGCSEs, not the GCSE that is offered in British schools.
IB teacher/parent
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2010, 13:24:39 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

To Scarbowl,

To get on the IB programme at UWC you need recommendations for at  last 3 higher subjects from your IGCSE teachers.  You also need to have a good attitude to your studies.  I replied to one of your posts a couple of weeks ago about the perils of having IB classes full of struggling or inattentive students.  Personally I don't have a problem with schools rejecting students who are unsuitable for a very academic program.  Unfortunately UWC only offer the IB for Grades 11 and 12.  Maybe they should offer an alternative curriculum for the less academic.  Those that aren't interested in learning should do vocational courses IMO - the polytechnics offer them here I believe. 

Some children at UWC choose to leave as they feel the IB diploma is not for them.  Some (with good attitudes) are offered the IB certificate program which is less intense.  Others are asked to leave, but only if the school believes they won't pass the IB.  The school isn't looking only for students that will ace the exams.  I do remember the school saying a couple of years ago that 11 students had been asked to leave - that's compared to 200+ that were accepted.

A year or so ago I had a look at Anglo chinese Independent webpage and they had posted the names of all the students who hadn't been accepted onto the IB - there were pages and pages of them.  I can't remember exactly how many but I think there were well over 100.  Their IB program is clearly highly selective.  I have no idea about   SJI and AC international.

Your question asked about culling students that are unlikely to pass.  I think what is more interesting is whether schools cull candidates that are unlikely to get very high scores. Passing the IB is one thing, doing very well in it is another
kitty kat
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2010, 21:33:07 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

To compare ACS Independent score with other IB schools in Singapore is madness.

It is highly selective , the students have to have As for their O levels,which is 6 points for local students.

I think ACS Intl and SJI Intl have cut off of between 15-20 points

Both schools are new which means that it is a gamble for parents and a expensive gamble so i imagine that these schools will raise the bar in the next few years.All in all excellent results
GESS
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2010, 17:02:13 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

GESS is again pleased with its IB Diploma results.  Our congratulations go to the students and teachers who prepared so well for the final exams.

Although the average point score was a little down on last year, our 30 point average and 88% pass rate, was again rewarding for a non-selected intake of students. 
Of particular note were the Geography standard level results that averaged 6.25 (nearly 2 full points higher than the world average) and the German B results of 6.33.  These represent superb point scores (the highest possible being 7).

The Extended Essay scores were also good with well over 50% of the students achieving a B or higher.  Nearly 50% of our students received a B or higher in Theory of Knowledge.  This translated into 85% of our students receiving at least 1 bonus point compared to a worldwide average of just 70%.
Other Highlights:

- 3 students achieved all 3 bonus points for TOK and EE
- All students passed their CAS
- 71% of students achieved 6 points or above in Geography
- 40% of students achieved a 6 or above in English A2
- 40% of students achieved a 6 or above in History
- Over 40% earned an average score of a ‘6’ in HL Bio
Chatsworth
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2010, 17:05:46 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

also offers IB, with their results on their website.
another chatsworth post
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2010, 17:26:10 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

also offers IB, with their results on their website.

Unfortunately Chatsworth don't quote their average score so it's hard to compare with other non-selective international schools.  Here's what their website says:

In 2009, 100% of our students received an IB diploma (24 points or more) whilst 100% of our students received IB certificates. Our highest score was 42 points (achieved by Yasushi).
scorn
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2010, 9:22:09 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I had a look at the Chatsworth site as well and saw this:

In 2006, 60% of our students received an IB diploma (24 points or more) whilst 100% of our students received IB certificates.
In 2007, 75% of our students received an IB diploma (24 points or more) whilst 100% of our students received IB certificates.
In 2008, 67% of our students received an IB diploma (24 points or more) whilst 100% of our students received IB certificates.

The results for those three years are pretty shocking for a fee paying school. No wonder they don't post average scores.
Curious - to PP.
« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2010, 9:30:22 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

How do those results compare to other fee-paying schools then?
Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: