Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 22 November 2017, 13:21:40 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Speeding Up the Computer  (Read 4918 times)
Computerilliterate
« on: 13 February 2001, 19:29:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Anyone have some tips as to how to speed up my computer? I remember something about cleaning up caches and temp files .. any hints? Maybe it's just my slower than mollasses in February ISP but maybe computer also.

Paul N
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2001, 20:00:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If you are using Pacific Internet...it's the ISP.  Have I ever mentioned how badly I hate PI?
BeThereSoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2001, 21:41:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You can delete all from C:/Windows/Temporary Internet Files for a start.
Tired of Waiting
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2001, 8:10:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Paul N., What ISP would you recommend? Any thoughts on SCV?
Paul N
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2001, 8:36:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have heard good things about SCV's cable modems.  Like all ISPs on the island, the service slows down during peak hours as the pipeline gets crowded for overseas URLs, but you still get faster connections than with dial-up networking.  During busy times, I have to log-on up to 10 times before the connection will stabalize and not disconnect me.  PI is virtually useless...and don't ever try their tech support.  You will end up with more and bigger problems than when you started.  My neighbor ended up reformatting his C: because PI's tech support had screwed him up so bad.
Easy Lah!
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2001, 8:36:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Download a little free software item called window washer from the internet.  It cleans all the crap off your system on demand and frequently defrag your hard drive and clean up system files.
Use a free software item (I use AdSubtract) to clean off advertising which really slows down surfing with all the gif's etc that adverts entail.  Advertising really slows you down.
Ixion

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2001, 9:13:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Run a Scandisk on your Hardrive and
then a Defragmentation.

That might help ....

Rob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2001, 9:32:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have never had any particular trouble with PacNet. Any connection difficulties have invariably turned out to be phone extension wiring problems. Interestingly though, I now finally have a 56K modem and was a little disapointed to find that it still connects at 33.6K or less. Still, the SCV man is coming on Friday, so I will let you all know how I get on...
Arry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2001, 9:47:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Computerilitate, you can do several:
1. Defrag your computer (as suggested by Ixion) which is actually grouping the data clusters together, that belong to the same programs.
2. Take off the programs that are fired during start-up (look at the icons that are on your lower righthandside screen, if you have many, consider to deactivate some).
3. Programs like CleanSweep, etc, will go through the files in your computer and delete redundant files, clean up the Windows Registry file, etc.

Other than that, if you are using PacNet, I agree with PaulN - It's horrendous. I have switched to StarHub's free internet. It's much better! I use PacNet as an email address only now.

Hope that helps ...

Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other road, no other way ... No day but today! - Mimi Marquez, "RENT"
broadband
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2001, 11:10:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

PI was crap but their broadband service is good. Easy to install and works well. Some slight phone interference but nothing to worry about. And it saves the cost of a second phone line...
Kathleen
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Can you download these cleaning programmes from the internet?
Computerilliterate
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2001, 11:13:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. Sounds like I'll be switching to SCV soon!
how?
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2001, 11:55:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

How does broadband work and how can it be aquired?  I would love to have only one line, but I've been reluctant because I didn't want to tie up the only line with the computer. However maintaining a second one is draining.
Daniel A

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2001, 12:55:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Computerilliterate, just keep in mind that if you are living in an HDB or large complex, the SCV cable connection will be slower because you are sharing the connection with everyone else in the complex. I believe Singtel Magix would be faster in this case.
SCVcable
« Reply #14 on: 14 February 2001, 13:31:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

We've just had SCV cablemodem installed
and I can report that with a recent defrag
run the thing moves like lightening! Highly recommended.
Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: